• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trying to get back into Skiing after 20+ years

Scruffy

5'11"", 177

And I eat whatever I want, including pizza, Red Robin, and cookies. It doesnt really matter what you eat, it's how many calories you eat. Download a calorie counting app to your smartphone, set your target weight, and log every calorie that enters your body on a daily basis. If you do this, religiously, you WILL lose weight, regardless of whether you work out or not.

Dude, you need to have your Man Card revoked! Counting calories? Really? Just work out more than you eat, it's simple, and you get fit for skiing. And, pizza? Red Robin?, Cookies? Really?

Tin

Everyone is different. I like being around my 195-200 lbs. range. I was too big last year at 225 lbs. and when real sick two years ago at 180 lbs. I could hardly turn my skis.

BenedictGomez

Dude, you need to have your Man Card revoked! Counting calories? Really? Just work out more than you eat, it's simple, and you get fit for skiing. And, pizza? Red Robin?, Cookies? Really?

It's the counting calories that allows me to eat, pizza, Red Robin, and cookies.

Scruffy

It's the counting calories that allows me to eat, pizza, Red Robin, and cookies.

Thank you Capt. Obvious, I didn't make the connection :roll: My point is, obviously, you're eating crap; less crap, but crap nonetheless. And, if I were a betting man, I'd bet you are eschewing exercising in your pound shedding pursuit. Skiing is an athletic sport, as such, you should be pursuing a life of conditioning where the need to count calories, like some chick on a Special K diet, is not even remotely necessary.

BenedictGomez

Thank you Capt. Obvious, I didn't make the connection :roll: My point is, obviously, you're eating crap; less crap, but crap nonetheless. And, if I were a betting man, I'd bet you are eschewing exercising in your pound shedding pursuit. Skiing is an athletic sport, as such, you should be pursuing a life of conditioning where the need to count calories, like some chick on a Special K diet, is not even remotely necessary.

If I were a betting man, I'd say it's statistically likely that I'm in better shape than you are, and I eat what I want. Obviously (though not obviously enough for some), I didn't mean that I literally only eat pizza, cookies, and Red Robin.

And I guarantee you there are plenty of FIS skiers who "count" (literally) calories. This is now S.O.P. for a great many athletes, not just skiers. Said slightly differently, you're wrong about this. Calorie counting is very common.

Scruffy

And I guarantee you there are plenty of FIS skiers who "count" (literally) calories. This is now S.O.P. for a great many athletes, not just skiers. Said slightly differently, you're wrong about this. Calorie counting is very common.

They count calories to make SURE THEY GET ENOUGH. A big difference from a diet to lose weight.

Ragman

Im no athlete, I just eat what I want. When I notice Im starting to tip the scales, I cut down the portion size and drink much more water.
Works for me everytime.

But not everyone can do that. If you have a desk job, then go home and park your butt on the couch, it wont help you. Its all about being active. and my 8 year old doesnt allow me to sit on my a$$. LOL

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Thanks guys.

BG - I hear ya, from what Ive heard on this forum and from what others have told me the best option besides new would be to pick up previously enjoyed rentals. Ive heard what they usually use for rentals is a bulletproof setup that is made to take a beating - not that I would be giving them a beating but it would lead me to believe they are good quality skis.

Ragman,
Think about demo skis instead of rentals. They get fewer miles on the odometer and the driver is usually careful with them so as not to usurp their damage waiver. They also a much better quality ski, catering to someone with a developing knowledge of skis (fussier).

I've been through two pair of demos. They come with some sort of adjustable plate that makes them heavier and can impact the flex. However, if you've been off the road for a long time, they might be fine.

Lastly, remember that the last time you skied, it was on "straight skis." I'd strongly encourage you to look at late-models, which can be considered "shaped skis". While it takes a few runs to get used to the change, you'll find them vastly easier to ski.
Both pair I purchased were on eBay, from legitimate ski shops. One in NewEngland, one in Utah.

Good luck!

dlague

Ragman,
Think about demo skis instead of rentals. They get fewer miles on the odometer and the driver is usually careful with them so as not to usurp their damage waiver. They also a much better quality ski, catering to someone with a developing knowledge of skis (fussier).

I've been through two pair of demos. They come with some sort of adjustable plate that makes them heavier and can impact the flex. However, if you've been off the road for a long time, they might be fine.

Lastly, remember that the last time you skied, it was on "straight skis." I'd strongly encourage you to look at late-models, which can be considered "shaped skis". While it takes a few runs to get used to the change, you'll find them vastly easier to ski.
Both pair I purchased were on eBay, from legitimate ski shops. One in NewEngland, one in Utah.

Good luck!

+1