• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First snow in NE?

deadheadskier

Staff member
It has already snowed a little on top of Sugarloaf. They had a picture up on Facebook just the other day.

slatham

Wow, you guys took that thread title a bit too literally. So how about "The first widespread snow across the higher elevations of the NE"? Maybe. If we're lucky. etc. etc.

4aprice

I'm hearing rumors of a pretty significant storm in the 21st - 25th range (Naweasta). Doesn't mean snow but may be a good pre-cursor to things in the future (fingers crossed).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I'm hearing rumors of a pretty significant storm in the 21st - 25th range (Naweasta). Doesn't mean snow but may be a good pre-cursor to things in the future (fingers crossed).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Never trust Damage in Tolland haha. Biggest weather weenie in the game.

EDIT: Wow, I guess its legit.

bigbog

I can agree with that, but actually I was basing it more off Typhoon Tip...

Yeah, two LOWS in predicted peak positions...just need the temps to cooperate. I bet northern VT should get the white stuff...
Man, if we could ever get that "disaster" stuff to turn into snow. Am I ever tired of watching the powerful systems stay wet...

slatham

To quote Joe D'Aleo "Research a few decades ago showed storm tracks persist fall to winter to spring". Works for me if this Nor'Easter is a harbinger of winter storm tracks.

He also showed some below normal temps during the first week of November. Unfortunately, some models and forecasters don't think it sticks and have Nov overall above normal. But at the same time they are watching for a "snap" where this stretch of above normal temps - which most of them correctly predicted - reverts to the colder pattern they expect for the upcoming winter.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I was listening to the radio this morning and they were predicting a wetter, warmer winter. I don't know if wetter means more precipitation but warmer could still be below freezing so = more snow, or if wetter and warmer just means rainier. Hopefully the former.

BenedictGomez

I was listening to the radio this morning and they were predicting a wetter, warmer winter. I don't know if wetter means more precipitation but warmer could still be below freezing so = more snow, or if wetter and warmer just means rainier. Hopefully the former.

Sounds like a pretty worthless report given the ambiguity. Given last winter was historical in terms of severe and prolonged cold, it's a no-brainer it will be "warmer".

bigbog

Local predictions of warm temps Wed-Friday followed by colder temps and snow...4-6" Saturday thru Sat. night for some inland elevations in Maine...(Monday prediction).

Last edited:

4aprice

My first snow sightings yesterday

DSCF4008_1_.jpg

DSCF4010_1_.jpg

Cardigan and Kinsman Notch.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ScottySkis

I drove through snow Sat. night this past weekend good half inch of white stuff on route 17 by Catskills it was so nice to see it been to long with out white good lines of powder lol.

bigbog

With ~7" on the ground...tomorrow and Thursday are hitting the low 50s, 40s throughout most of the state. As always....gotta think elevation for any remaining stuff.....