• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Buying used skis

deadheadskier

Staff member
for example I wear a size 9 street shoe, but ski a 25 mondopoint boot which translates to a size 7.

That sounds like overkill to me. I go down one size. Two sizes and I would think the toes would no longer lie flat in the liner even in the skiing position. I wear a 9.5 street shoe. Standing up straight, my toes are pressed right up against the liner tightly in a 26.5 mondo with a minimal amount of toe wiggle; not what I'd call comfortable. In the skiing position, they back away from the liner a little and still fit tight, but are comfortable.

Then again, I have 100% completely flat feet. When I saw a podiatrist, he was shocked that my knees, hips and back don't constantly ache because of how flat my feet are. So, my foot is going to lie a little longer in the boot than the average person unless I put in foot beds with an aggressive arch.....something I've tried, but not enjoyed.

Highway Star

Somethin dont make sense then. Seller says he wears a size 12 sneaker (as do I) but he says the size on the boot is 27.5 DOnt think my wide ass foot will ever fit in those. Might still check it out. But according to the EVO chart and what youve told me they will be wayy too small.

Oh yeah, it's right in the listing. You can confirm size with the shell size of the boot, a 27-27.5 should be right around 315mm, its molded in the plastic.

Highway Star

That sounds like overkill to me. I go down one size. Two sizes and I would think the toes would no longer lie flat in the liner even in the skiing position. I wear a 9.5 street shoe. Standing up straight, my toes are pressed right up against the liner tightly in a 26.5 mondo with a minimal amount of toe wiggle; not what I'd call comfortable. In the skiing position, they back away from the liner a little and still fit tight, but are comfortable.

Then again, I have 100% completely flat feet. When I saw a podiatrist, he was shocked that my knees, hips and back don't constantly ache because of how flat my feet are. So, my foot is going to lie a little longer in the boot than the average person unless I put in foot beds with an aggressive arch.....something I've tried, but not enjoyed.

I've skied 25's for nearly 20 years, they fit fine in the toe. 26 is too big, even in a plug boot. I have a low volume flat foot.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sounds like a unique scenario to your foot and your personal performance preferences.

I assume you would agree with me, that the standard mondo size reduction is one shoe size, not two.

Highway Star

Sounds like a unique scenario to your foot and your personal performance preferences.

I assume you would agree with me, that the standard mondo size reduction is one shoe size, not two.

One downsize is normal for advanced skiers. Two for experts and racers. Three for world cup and other elite racers.

BenedictGomez

Couldn't there be some preference at that point. My hockey skates are 6.5, but I wear an 8.5 or 9 in shoes. My skates are NOT comfortable, but they feel like they're an extension of my body.

wa-loaf

Generalizing, but I thought down one size is "performance fit" and down 2 is "race fit" I suppose you could go 3 sizes but I can't imagine doing that without a lot of work on the boot. I'm a size 9.5/10 street shoe and have 26.0 shell. I wouldn't want to go any smaller!

Scruffy

Generalizing, but I thought down one size is "performance fit" and down 2 is "race fit" I suppose you could go 3 sizes but I can't imagine doing that without a lot of work on the boot. I'm a size 9.5/10 street shoe and have 26.0 shell. I wouldn't want to go any smaller!

This discussion points out why it's important to go to a good boot fitter. Everyone's feet are different from everyone else, and even between their own right and left . The shades of grey even between typical types of feet are wide and varied. One persons personal experience may not relate to another of the same size foot, that is measured in one dimension.

Ragman

This discussion points out why it's important to go to a good boot fitter. Everyone's feet are different from everyone else, and even between their own right and left . The shades of grey even between typical types of feet are wide and varied. One persons personal experience may not relate to another of the same size foot, that is measured in one dimension.

Should any reputable ski shop have or be a good boot fitter?

skiNEwhere

There are plenty of ski shops that don't have a good boot fitter.

This is unfortunately true.

I'd check out America's best bootfitters (bootfitters.com), and cross reference that with yelp to see if customers were pleased with their bootfitting.

Ragman

I went and got fitted today at the local ski shop. Found my mondo size to be 29.5 - so those craigslist boots would most likely be a waste of my time.

Found a pair I really did like at the ski shop tho but $300 is too much for me. http://www.sunandski.com/2015_Rossi...63522520.htm?gclid=CLyS5vGywcECFSgLMgodN2kAAg

I will keep looking but it was nice to see all the new stuff. Couldnt believe that some of the boots on the wall were on sale for $599 'gulp'

ahh dare to dream

Highway Star

I went and got fitted today at the local ski shop. Found my mondo size to be 29.5 - so those craigslist boots would most likely be a waste of my time.

Found a pair I really did like at the ski shop tho but $300 is too much for me. http://www.sunandski.com/2015_Rossi...63522520.htm?gclid=CLyS5vGywcECFSgLMgodN2kAAg

I will keep looking but it was nice to see all the new stuff. Couldnt believe that some of the boots on the wall were on sale for $599 'gulp'

ahh dare to dream

Hate to tell you to shop locally and then buy online. It is what is it is.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...kpid=2179558&gclid=CNvlv6LgwcECFQ8R7AodXmoAQg