• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Buying used skis

Ragman

Hello all,

Im in the market for some used skis. Been searching the web (ebay,craigslist,EVO) and my question is, how do you know if you will need to get the bindings redrilled or not? I mean with most of the skis with bindings they dont tell you what size boot the bindings were set for.

Is it bad to redrill skis for binding movement?

Ive found many packages out there that I am hesitant to bite on because the ski length Im looking at (165 or so) doesnt usually come with a binding for my monster boot size (12) - I guess Im a freak.

ANy help would be great.

Thanks guys.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Your easiest solution is to try and find skis mounted with demo bindings.

I've always been told that re-drilling once isn't that big of a deal. Beyond that and you will start to compromise the core of the ski.

skiNEwhere

I have a size 12.5 foot. For ski boot I have a 29.5, which is pretty normal.

I'm not a binding guru, but it depends on what bindings you get. If you were to buy look pivots, I don't think you can really adjust those, so you'd probably have to get those remounted.

With some bindings, you can move both the toe piece and heel piece forward and back. With more high performance bindings, you can only move the heel piece.

With all bindings, I'd find out what size boot they were using.

If you post some of the listings you find here, we'd probably be able to help you out more though.

Ragman

I have a size 12.5 foot. For ski boot I have a 29.5, which is pretty normal.

I'm not a binding guru, but it depends on what bindings you get. If you were to buy look pivots, I don't think you can really adjust those, so you'd probably have to get those remounted.

With some bindings, you can move both the toe piece and heel piece forward and back. With more high performance bindings, you can only move the heel piece.

With all bindings, I'd find out what size boot they were using.

If you post some of the listings you find here, we'd probably be able to help you out more though.

Well looking at packages and stumbled across a site called levelninesports.com and was wondering if this package would be good for me. Fischer Viron Fire/Dalbello Prime Complete Ski Package

Sale: $339.00
Retail: $799.00
Save 57%

I would be a little nervous buying boots without trying them on first tho

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Buy skis used online, not boots.

Every boot manufacturer is different. It's worth to try on several boots even if it costs you a few extra bucks.

I've used Liquidation Sports on ebay for skis and have not had a problem with them. I was hesitant to purchase skis over Craigslist as there is a lot less accountability should the skis be faulty. Demo bindings on my last pair of skis worked great and I could not feel that much of a difference compared to non-demo bindings. Just picked up another pair of skis from them last month!

Some ski shops also carry used skis, so I would say go look around your local shop and see if they have anything. I picked up a pair of used Head Slalom skis from Speed Factory by Waterville. I have been using them for the the past two years and they are still going strong.

Ragman

I've used Liquidation Sports on ebay for skis and have not had a problem with them. I was hesitant to purchase skis over Craigslist as there is a lot less accountability should the skis be faulty. Demo bindings on my last pair of skis worked great and I could not feel that much of a difference compared to non-demo bindings. Just picked up another pair of skis from them last month!

Some ski shops also carry used skis, so I would say go look around your local shop and see if they have anything. I picked up a pair of used Head Slalom skis from Speed Factory by Waterville. I have been using them for the the past two years and they are still going strong.

Im liking the prices on liquidation sports. What were the grade of the skis you bought from them? WOndered how hammered the S or Standard ones were?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well looking at packages and stumbled across a site called levelninesports.com and was wondering if this package would be good for me. Fischer Viron Fire/Dalbello Prime Complete Ski Package

Sale: $339.00
Retail: $799.00
Save 57%

I would be a little nervous buying boots without trying them on first tho

I was going to suggest that you consider Level Nine or some other online retailers. The reason being is that I find that people overvalue their used equipment and you normally end up paying way too much for stuff. That's just my opinion though. I know some people have found some great deals on used stuff but it seems every year that I go to ski swaps I become increasingly disappointed in how people want $500 for their skis that are trashed. Must be I'm going to the wrong ski swaps. Level Nine is legit. This is another good shop: http://www.ebay.com/usr/asogear?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

HowieT2

I was going to suggest that you consider Level Nine or some other online retailers. The reason being is that I find that people overvalue their used equipment and you normally end up paying way too much for stuff. That's just my opinion though. I know some people have found some great deals on used stuff but it seems every year that I go to ski swaps I become increasingly disappointed in how people want $500 for their skis that are trashed. Must be I'm going to the wrong ski swaps. Level Nine is legit. This is another good shop: http://www.ebay.com/usr/asogear?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

same here.
I've bought used or demo gear in the past, but in the last 5 years or so, the discounts on new ski/bindings, have led me to purchase new. Obviously, I wasn't purchasing in season and I spent a fair amount of time researching. But my impression of the market is that, with a little effort you can find new for modestly more than used.

Savemeasammy

I agree on some of the prices people want for their used gear. Many people pay full retail or close to it for their equipment, and base the asking price on that. I bought my (then) current model year skis in Feb for 50% off. Same deal for my brand-new previous years' bindings. I can't see paying more than 30% or so for fairly "new" used stuff. Much less as it gets older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
yes.

i have also been considering a set of used demos...anyone ever gone that route?

Yes, hadn't bought skis in a long time and wasn't sure which would be a good bump ski.
And didn't want to roll the dice spending $ on a new pair without driving a set , was an end of season decision and no opportunity to try out another set . Ended up getting a demo set of Rossi B-2's

I'm an aggressive skier and had heel blowout issues with Demo bindings
Loved the skis but not the bindings , got some marker Dukes
And have had no issues, also lucked out with a set of Dallbello boots,

I would do Demos again , but odds on finding boots are not good

Scruffy

Yeah, you have to know what your looking for and the value of it, to score used, no matter the venue.

The problem the OP has, if you follow the other thread he created about getting back into skiing after 20 years, is, by his own admission, he doesn't know yet what to look for, and price is important to him - he's buying for himself and his son.

dlague

Rahman - I agree with the used skis with demo bindings. Hence why I pointed out the used skis on Evo in another thread. They had demo bindings.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

dlague

Just scored a great deal on a pair if ski boots for my wife @ aso gear! And yes I buy boots online. To TB's point online retailers are an easy way to go since you do not have to drive anywhere and can see and research a lot. I find it to be a great way to learn about gear.

Ragman

You guys are great. I really do appreciate the feedback I am getting here. As you can probably tell I am VERY excited to get back on the slopes and I would love to just buy my season pass, drive to the hill bringing my own equipment and start skiing.

I remember from back in the day when I rented I would burn about an hr getting my lift ticket and getting my rentals. Time is more precious to me now.

So what Im trying to say is your input is priceless to me.

Thank you.

So Im going to look more into Liquidationsports and EVO used. Just would like to find out about the bindings and whether or not they will need to redrilled.

dlague

You guys are great. I really do appreciate the feedback I am getting here. As you can probably tell I am VERY excited to get back on the slopes and I would love to just buy my season pass, drive to the hill bringing my own equipment and start skiing.

I remember from back in the day when I rented I would burn about an hr getting my lift ticket and getting my rentals. Time is more precious to me now.

Thank you.

So Im going to look more into Liquidationsports and EVO used. Just would like to find out about the bindings and whether or not they will need to redrilled.

If they have demo bindings you should good since they are designed to be adjusted several sizes. My advise, call Evo - fun to talk to and they will let you know everything you need to know.

i was checking these guys out...thanks for the info

prsboogie

Thank you.

Ragman, I am a recent return to skiing guy and the first skis I bought were system skis. The bindings adjust to all adult bsl and they can be picked up for a reasonable price. K2 Atomic Völkl off the top of my head all have what your looking for. They are very easy to mount your self as well with many resources online to figure out what din to set for your height weight and ability. A little more than used, but worth it.