• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trouble in Keene

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
This kind of thing has been happening for a long time. I was present for this one...

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/article_7d1699df-3a4f-5624-a93e-9886fb4ae890.html

It didn't help that the mayor decided to close the 8-10 bars that line either side of the "College Hill" block 1.5 hours early, forcing hundreds of upset (mostly drunk) people out into the street. I was on a side street hanging out with a few friends. I was still a minor and I didn't drink at all at the time. It was a fun festive atmosphere until the bar closing I mentioned happened. Then the crowd turned ugly and the police didn't really deal with it well. They pretty much set up a riot line at the top of the hill and started blowing tear gas into the crowd which caused a stampede that I can't believe no one got tramped by. That's when things really turned ugly. Both side learned from that experience and previous homecomings have been quieter (or so I'm told).

Glenn

Glenn...I think part of the problem started when you all started rolling the stringy insides with the seeds and tried smoking em'...8)

HA!

Surprisingly, didn't see any of that going on there. Kinda expected it with the large number of college kids.

bigbog

Must've been something to see. I mean I can't imagine 100 people drunk in KEENE, NH:-o...*Although of late...just been through without stopping as well as for late summers, decades ago, coming from Maine to NYS, so have only been a tourist.

Last edited:

AdironRider

You realize Keene is a college town right? There are hundreds of drunk college kids at any given time.

bigbog

LOL...thought there was some school in Keene...AR...but guess was totally clueless. Guess Roddenberry's plot of a town under control of Landrew(orig Star Trek) = not far from reality in Keene. 12o'clock and order is tossed = college town;-)