• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Excited to try out my new gear this year

Hawkshot99

I need a set of pow boards. Demoing pow skis in pow conditions is inconvenient. Consequently, I have no idea what to buy. I tried Soul 7s one day in great conditions at Saddleback but it wasn't powder. I liked them fine but there are so many choices.

Unless all you ski is bottomless powder then how the ski is in powder doesn't really matter from one powder ski to the next. When I am looking at a fatty, I choose a rough idea of how wide I want to go. My current pair is a Soul 7 and all the skis I tested were in the 105-110mm range. I did not demo any of the skis in any real powder.
To me I want to make sure the ski will still be ski-able when I am not in the powder. Whether that is on a run out from a great run, or when I choose to ski them on a non-powder day. All "powder skis" ski pretty darn well in soft deep powder.

prsboogie

Did you ditch the Soul 7s? Those Keepers are fat. Are you using Goats as a daily driver?

I need a set of pow boards. Demoing pow skis in pow conditions is inconvenient. Consequently, I have no idea what to buy. I tried Soul 7s one day in great conditions at Saddleback but it wasn't powder. I liked them fine but there are so many choices.

Just wondering how long of a ski are you looking for?

prsboogie

Pk
Depends on the ski. The Soul 7s in a 180 felt right.

I have a set of Patrons in 193 that I'm looking to move but they are probably too long for you. They do ski shorter that that length.

JDMRoma

Depends on the ski. The Soul 7s in a 180 felt right.

Soul 7s in a 180 would be perfect.
Great ski, would have bought them again if I could have found them at a decent price

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
Excited to try new boots and my Nordica Vagabonds. I was also looking at the Soul 7, but couldn't find the right deal. The Vags are a similar sized ski. Given Puck It's high endorsement of the Hell and Back series plus other favorable reviews that's the direction I went.

wa-loaf

Soul 7s in a 180 would be perfect.
Great ski, would have bought them again if I could have found them at a decent price

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Excited to try new boots and my Nordica Vagabonds. I was also looking at the Soul 7, but couldn't find the right deal. The Vags are a similar sized ski. Given Puck It's high endorsement of the Hell and Back series plus other favorable reviews that's the direction I went.

The Soul 7 is unchanged this year from last so you probably won't see any deals until the Spring.

Snagged some Smith IO7 goggles for about $140. They came with a Green Sol-x Mirror lens for sunny days and a Red Sensor Mirror lens for flat light. It's a very versatile goggle thanks to it's lens replacement system.

New boots and possibly skis this weekend!!

dlague

The Soul 7 is unchanged this year from last so you probably won't see any deals until the Spring.

Ya I have been watching them all summer and noticed this fall that Rossi still had them as their 2014-2015 ski.

I skied on my new skis Dynastar Distorters 185 and love the way they handled bumps on Eastfall my first time out this year. I won a silent auction $280 for a pair of Cham 97's which I need to get mounted - definitely looking forward to skiing those too. My wife skied new boots Dalbello KR2 Chakra and new skis Atomic Vantage Supreme and she also had a great first day on them. She also won a pair of Cham 87's at $270 which she is interested in trying.

:)

BenedictGomez

I have been watching them all summer and noticed this fall that Rossi still had them as their 2014-2015 ski.

I bought a used pair of S7s cheap for this reason, the glorious accolades & magazine reviews for Soul 7 have really inflated the price.

If you do the homework and dig through the specs and construction, what you find is that the Soul 7 is the S7 with what appear to be some minor changes. When they introduced the Soul 7 in 2014, production on the S7 stopped. You cant fool me Rossignol!

S7 = 50% tip and tail rocker, 50% camber underfoot
Soul7 = 50% tip and tail rocker, 50% camber underfoot

Radius
S7 = 17.5m
Soul7 = 17m

Weight
S7 = 4.42lbs
Soul7= 4.23lbs

Dimensions
S7 = 145-115-123
Soul7= 136-106-126

Core / Flex
S7 = wood / stiff
Soul7= wood / stiff

Surface Area

S7 = ~2198
Soul7= ~2069

Not really much difference there, the biggest discrepancies are the 6.6% > surface area of the S7 and it being 8.5% bigger underfoot. Rossignol's marketing screams about the "Air Tip" leading to lighter skis, but the reality doesnt really seem to show much of a difference regarding overall ski weight IMO.

mishka

Weight
S7 = 4.42lbs
Soul7= 4.23lbs=====>
per ski? If so it's not that light for skis that size

"Air Tip" leading to lighter skis, but the reality doesnt really seem to show much of a difference regarding overall ski weight====> BS and 100% marketing IMHO. Those holes doesn't save much weight

prsboogie

I bought a used pair of S7s cheap for this reason, the glorious accolades & magazine reviews for Soul 7 have really inflated the price.

If you do the homework and dig through the specs and construction, what you find is that the Soul 7 is the S7 with what appear to be some minor changes. When they introduced the Soul 7 in 2014, production on the S7 stopped. You cant fool me Rossignol!

S7 = 50% tip and tail rocker, 50% camber underfoot
Soul7 = 50% tip and tail rocker, 50% camber underfoot

Radius
S7 = 17.5m
Soul7 = 17m

Weight
S7 = 4.42lbs
Soul7= 4.23lbs

Dimensions
S7 = 145-115-123
Soul7= 136-106-126

Core / Flex
S7 = wood / stiff
Soul7= wood / stiff

Surface Area

S7 = ~2198
Soul7= ~2069

Not really much difference there, the biggest discrepancies are the 6.6% > surface area of the S7 and it being 8.5% bigger underfoot. Rossignol's marketing screams about the "Air Tip" leading to lighter skis, but the reality doesnt really seem to show much of a difference regarding overall ski weight IMO.

I think maybe you are compositing the wrong two models, iirc the S7 became the Super7

For the love of the deep, light, and pristine.

If the thought of groomers puts you in a deep sleep, the powder-slashing Rossignol Super 7 Ski will slap you into frenetic euphoria. This off-piste powerhouse features a stable 116-millimeter waist for stomping airs and floating through blower. Its Powder Turn rocker is aptly named, with a long-rockered honeycombed Air Tip and tapered, rockered tail for power steering. The long-radius sidecut shortens directly underfoot for an all-terrain versatility and liveliness. Take this big stick into the backcountry to access pristine stashes, because the ultralight wood core will never be a burden.*

Rossignol's 7-Series freeride line, this year's evolution of its popular S-Series, offers an innovative new fusion of backcountry and all-mountain performance. The Super 7 is the middle child of the new Air Tip skis, with a waist width and turning radius squarely between the big-mountain Squad 7 and the ultra-versatile Soul 7.

Powder Turn rocker delivers 50% low camber underfoot for energy and edge grip and a longer, more progressive rocker at tip and tail for float in powMore powerful rockered tail tapers for easier steering in deep snow and speed controlAir Tip uses patented honeycomb design for reinforced durability and torsional rigidity and reduces swing weight for better maneuverabilityUltralight Paulownia wood core reduces weight by 20 percent and enhances agility without sacrificing downhill powerDiago fiber laminate features a lightweight tight weave over the wood coreSandwich laminate provide ultimate stability, power, and durability; direct edges give precise and powerful edgingAmple 116mm waist provides stable, float-on-top platform in deep, heavy, or variable snowCentered sidecut tapers at tip and tail and shortens underfootFree VAS smooths transition between rocker and camber, reduces tip flap, and increases control and snow contactless…

*Tech Specs

Length:

164 cm, 172 cm, 180 cm, 188 cm

Dimensions:

140 / 116 / 130 mm

Turn Radius:

[180cm] 20.8 m

Profile:

Powder Turn Rocker (low, traditional camber underfoot, rockered tip and tail)

Construction:

sandwich

Core:

Paulownia ultra-light wood, Diago-fiber laminate

Tail:

Raised

Binding Included:

no

Required Binding:

flat-mounted

Recommended Use:

freeride, powder

Manufacturer Warranty

wa-loaf

Yes, old S7 is more comparable to Super7. The Soul 7 fits in between the old S3 and S7. Sin 7 is more equivalent to the S3.

Despite whatever the numbers say they do ski very differently. I've skied the S7 and have the Soul7 the Soul 7 is much better on piste than the S7. A friend of mine who is an S7 skier demoed the Souls because he wanted to upgrade and heard good things about them. He really didn't like them much. You may like the S7, but don't say it's the same unless you've actually skied them.

Cornhead

Looky what the Fed Ex man brought me today, Volkl RTM 84's, 181cm, 2014 model, gasp, new. I can mount the bindings myself, rail system, just gonna have the shop do the adjustment/testing. If you see this James, sorry, I would've given you a chance to match the price on this year's model, but you still don't have them in 181.
uploadfromtaptalk1416878713180.jpg
Anybody here skiing them? I demoed the 80's a few years ago, I liked them. I'm hoping they remind me a little of my old Tigersharks. The construction is similar, except for full rocker, and no camber. If they grip anything like the Tigersharks did when new, I'll be happy. I could edge on ice with them.

They seem like a good choice for an East Coast ski, hard snow biased, with some soft snow, crud busting, attributes. Being longish, almost as tall as me, with full rocker should help in moderate powder, I would think. Not expecting them to float my fat ass, shit, I think I'd need a snowboard on each foot to accomplish that. I would like to pick up a pair of used powder skis though.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Cornhead

Was looking at Rail system skis and bindings , What is the improvement over conventional system?

They claim it helps the ski flex underfoot, the down side, you must use a Marker binding made for the Volkl rail system, so if you like the ski, but don't like Marker bindings, you're sol.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2