• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poles?

VTKilarney

Weren't the breakaways discontinued due to causing thumb injuries?
I have heard that rumor more than once, but haven't seen anything official on it. One theory is that beginners tend to fall with their hands open, thus the injuries to the thumb.

I've never had a problem with them, and have been tempted to take them out of the attic on more than one occasion. They really were convenient to take on and off.

BenedictGomez

^ The ones I had (stolen) were split in the middle of the guard, so if there was a significant force your hand would simply pull through it. Seems safer.

VTKilarney

Wrong sir. You must fall frequently
Seriously? Are you really suggesting that a pole with a strap mechanism to keep it attached to you is less useful for those who fall than a pole that will fly away upon falling? Really??????? What water have you been drinking? The strap isn't there just to look good.

steamboat1

They do make pole straps with a safety release mechanism. Either it clips into the pole handle itself or some kind of snap release on the strap. Personally I don't use my straps anymore so it doesn't matter. I'll tell you one thing though I'll never use those breakaway pole grips again for the reason I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

Seriously? Are you really suggesting that a pole with a strap mechanism to keep it attached to you is less useful for those who fall than a pole that will fly away upon falling? Really??????? What water have you been drinking? The strap isn't there just to look good.

Well water....it's awesome. I am only suggesting one thing: you probably fall a lot if you care that much about the relative safety that a non-strapped pole can provide. Not saying it as a bad thing....we can't all be the best skier on the mountain.

Hawkshot99

Pole straps are there to do way more than attach them to y ok it wrists. If held properly they provide much better leverage and assistance when pushing through the flats.
Persanaly I find those rubber hand wrap style to be very uncomfortable shape for my hand, plus The safty aspect. I am a big fan of the Leki Poles.

dlague

Ok, I am that guy who often does not put the straps on. I do put my hands through the straps sometimes - other times - neh! No that particular. I used to ski without them.

VTKilarney

Well water....it's awesome. I am only suggesting one thing: you probably fall a lot if you care that much about the relative safety that a non-strapped pole can provide. Not saying it as a bad thing....we can't all be the best skier on the mountain.
Now you are making no sense.

I stated: IMHO the advantage was how easy they were to get your hands into and out of. Straps, frankly, are for people who fall.

You responded: Wrong sir. You must fall frequently

I mentioned nothing at all about the "relative safety that a non-strapped pole can provide."

I'm okay with the fact that you made a stupid comment. No need to double-down on the stupidity.

MadMadWorld

+1

Once you go Leki, you never go back.

You have so many ski offs to attend to, you're not going to have any 2014/15 recreational ski days.

This is true. I probably overextended a bit. I'll just setup a tour schedule and people can show up it will be a fun filled day I assure you. I don't take myself serious I promise