• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poles?

Ragman

MOst of you guys use them or no?

I always used them back in the day (unless I dropped them off the lift or broke them because I forgot to pull them up at mid-station -LOL :oops: ) but I noticed that some people dont use them much anymore.

Just curious.

mriceyman

I really dislike not using them .. Helps my balance and form .. Without then i feel i get sloppy quicker

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Ragman

Yeah - I feel the same way - I will be using them. I just wanted to hear what peoples reason was for NOT using them.

Most that I know of are snowboarders as well or starting snowboarding and moved to skis and dont feel comfortable with them.

Puck it

If your coat is 4x too big and the crotch of your pants is at your knees then go with clown poles.

Savemeasammy

The only skier I know who doesn't use poles is my 5-year old ;)

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Yeah - I feel the same way - I will be using them. I just wanted to hear what peoples reason was for NOT using them.

Most that I know of are snowboarders as well or starting snowboarding and moved to skis and dont feel comfortable with them.

While my kids were starting out, I stopped using them for a few years for 2 reasons. 1) My kids wanted to start with poles and I would not let them until they were older so I set the example, 2) with my youngest being 2.5 years old at the time the poles got in the way. I do use poles today because kids are all grown up! I think poles help as feelers (like whiskers) and sometimes with turn initiation. In addition, poles on flats combined with a skating motions help as well.

WoodCore

The pole-plant is one of the most important aspects of good skiing. Hard to do that without poles. Besides they give something to lean on in the liftline.

wa-loaf

The pole-plant is one of the most important aspects of good skiing. Hard to do that without poles. Besides they give something to lean on in the liftline.

You can also slingshot your snowboarding friends on the flats so they can keep up ...

Quietman

I always use them, especially useful in tight woods to deflect branches that jump into my path. A helmet is also very useful for the same thing, in addition to other obvious reasons.

Watatic Skier

I won't use them trying new tricks in the park, one less thing to break/stab myself with. It makes some grabs really fun too.

That being said poles are still important and I think its kind of weird to ski out of the park without them.

skiNEwhere

I still have both of my baskets broken from last season. Not a big deal with groomers, but I'll probably notice a difference in powder if I don't swap them out.

Savemeasammy

Most important use of poles: planting them in the ground in front of punks who try to cut you in liftline.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app