• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

IBM Sells Chipmaking Division

AdironRider

Well SLC has a major airport. That's the big thing.

Vt has I89, I91, and I93.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Those are all effectively spur routes when we are talking national level logistics. But that really only affects the big dogs.

I will say running a manufacturing business in an out of the way area is a tough road to hoe. My shipping costs average about 20% over what a similar company down in SLC would pay as a result. Similar situation in VT, but probably not that bad .

Puck it

That's a bummer. Are they producing older style chips in Essex, like Puck it mentioned?

The rural areas are tough. I do however wonder if increases in WFH capabilities at jobs (my job, for example, lets me WFH 2 - 3 days per week) means commute or location don't matter as much, if at all. The ability to earn a good salary and live somewhere that might not have local jobs in that tier can only be good for everyone right.

yes they are older tech chips. I know for fact. I designed some of the equipment in their fab.

Geoff

That's a bummer. Are they producing older style chips in Essex, like Puck it mentioned?

The rural areas are tough. I do however wonder if increases in WFH capabilities at jobs (my job, for example, lets me WFH 2 - 3 days per week) means commute or location don't matter as much, if at all. The ability to earn a good salary and live somewhere that might not have local jobs in that tier can only be good for everyone right.

I think Essex Junction makes a lot of cell phone RF front end chips. We use similar stuff in front of the WiFi chips on our cable modems. You don't need the latest & greatest fab technology for those. I sure hope those 5,000 jobs don't go away. In a state of 600,000-ish people, that kind of job loss would be catastrophic.

I've been telecommuting for 5+ years. It lets me split my time between a relatively inexpensive summer house and a ski condo. I don't have to fund the expensive 128-belt/495-belt/NH Seacoast cubicle troll housing like I did for the first 25+ years of my work career and I don't chew through a car every 4 years commuting, driving to Vermont every winter weekend, and driving to the coast every summer weekend. I don't make quite as much as I would doing my traditional role in an office building but the savings is enormous and I don't have all those hours in a car.

mister moose

I will say running a manufacturing business in an out of the way area is a tough road to hoe.

Always interesting to see how expressions get changed over time and lose the original relevance.

It's a tough row to hoe. Comes from farming in shifts, one person to a row. A hoe is a weeding/cultivation tool. Some rows have bigger or denser weeds, and are a tough row to hoe, to be avoided if you're holding the hoe.

See "Devil to pay", "3 sheets to the wind", "Balls to the wall"

Now back to the regular scheduled discussion.

AdironRider

Always interesting to see how expressions get changed over time and lose the original relevance.

It's a tough row to hoe. Comes from farming in shifts, one person to a row. A hoe is a weeding/cultivation tool. Some rows have bigger or denser weeds, and are a tough row to hoe, to be avoided if you're holding the hoe.

See "Devil to pay", "3 sheets to the wind", "Balls to the wall"

Now back to the regular scheduled discussion.

I bet you are the most popular guy at dinner parties.