• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Simple Poll. Helmets. Do you use them or no?

Do you use a helmet when you ski

• Yes

Votes: 79 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

twinplanx

I don't think it relates to ASTM at all. MIPS is an independent standard designed for impacts at an angle, allowing the inner shell to rotate so as to attenuate the impact and concussion risk. AFAIK the standard tests for helmets (ASTM, CSA...) are direct hits that test the structural integrity of the helmet.

Thanx, this clears things up a little. I know there are very few helmets in this category, Hawk also mentioned that Giro would have a MIPS approved helmet next year. I can only hope this catches on so we all have more/better choices...

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

trackbiker

If anyone is looking to buy a helmet, Level Nine Sports has a huge "Thursday Only" Sale Today (October 23rd). Bern 2015 G2 Zip Mold Helmet is $49.00 MSRP is $139.99

Thanks for the link. Picked one up for my son for Christmas. Great Price!

Mariovntr

Thanks for the link. Picked one up for my son for Christmas. Great Price!

No problem! Amazing price... couldn't believe how cheap it was. If you go to Berns website, they sell helmet inserts with Bluetooth audio and wired earpads too. Lots of kids have them now.