• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Simple Poll. Helmets. Do you use them or no?

Do you use a helmet when you ski

• Yes

Votes: 79 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SkiFanE

That said, I can see if you are the type that just cruises, sticks to blues and greens, and doesn't take risks that you might just go hat and sunglasses. As long as people are educated on the subject, I say let them make their own joice. Just don't expect me to donate to the fundraiser for the guy in a coma because he was ripping glades in a beanie.

I wear a helmet 100% of the time. But I feel the groomers are the least safe. They are fast (I'd say most days they get down to boilerplate in NE by lunch time)...you get experts flying down, you get intermediates thinking they are experts flying out of control, and you get beginners taking up half the trail to turn in the middle of chaos. But me in my bumps...I'm safe...going about 1/3 the speed and often with few people around me. Woods...it's a toss up for safety...can see both sides (going slower b/c of trees and obstacles, but obstacles can toss you).

BenedictGomez

Before you know it it will come complete with gps, bluetooth, head phones, airbags, etc and cost about 500

The new GoPro 4 Black Edition is $499 retail already

Now that it's a publicly traded company, they're going to need to continuously improve upon EPS, so yeah, they're going to keep adding crap you don't need with debatable "improvements" and running marketing campaigns convincing you you really need it.

skiNEwhere

Now that it's a publicly traded company, they're going to need to continuously improve upon EPS, so yeah, they're going to keep adding crap you don't need with debatable "improvements" and running marketing campaigns convincing you you really need it.

Good points about growth, but some of the stuff that its competitors are doing are pretty cool. Check out the Garmin Virb, they pretty much combined all of the features of the Garmin GPS) speed, altitude, etc) with its action cam. Granted, they aren't that accurate, yet, but there will be room for improvement.

twinplanx

All helmets are not created equally. Every ski helmet is safty rated by ASTM, regardless of the price of the helmet. There is not a "better" rating for more expensive helmets. What you are paying for is comfort. This could mean the helmet is lighter, or a better fit system or vents

There was a helmet thread last season that mentioned MIPS technology, that supposedly aided in avoiding concussion. Can you tell me how this relates to the ASTM saftey rating?

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

fbrissette

There was a helmet thread last season that mentioned MIPS technology, that supposedly aided in avoiding concussion. Can you tell me how this relates to the ASTM saftey rating?

I don't think it relates to ASTM at all. MIPS is an independent standard designed for impacts at an angle, allowing the inner shell to rotate so as to attenuate the impact and concussion risk. AFAIK the standard tests for helmets (ASTM, CSA...) are direct hits that test the structural integrity of the helmet.

Hawkshot99

I can not help you at all on that. None of the helmet brands I am familar with are using it. Giro however will be next year according to the rep.

Puck it

Nobody really has a visor helmet anymore. None full face. They all have gone the small brim type. I love my G10.

Hawkshot99

Nobody really has a visor helmet anymore. None full face. They all have gone the small brim type. I love my G10.

POC makes a full MX size visor helmet, rather than just a "brim". I loved my G10MX that I wore back in the day. As far as full face Giro markets a helmet for big mtn skiing and POC may as well. I wiuld never want to wear either personally, as a MX helmet is way to big feeling for me.

Puck it

POC makes a full MX size visor helmet, rather than just a "brim". I loved my G10MX that I wore back in the day. As far as full face Giro markets a helmet for big mtn skiing and POC may as well. I wiuld never want to wear either personally, as a MX helmet is way to big feeling for me.

I forgot about POC, but the visor seems sit up on that helmet for some reason. Full face is overkill, IMHO. Except for the few times a branch hits you in the face.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I started wearing helmets just 2 years ago. I don't think i would go back to helmetless though, with the possible exception of some very warm spring skiing, and even then I think the vents do a pretty good job.

Also my head & ears is a lot warmer in the dead of winter than with just a hat on.

It would be interesting to dig up a poll from 5 or 7 years ago and compare the results to this one.

Ragman

Well the results definately show with about 95% of people who voted stating the do indeed use helmets.

Thanks guys - like I said, with these results it will make me rethink the idea of wearing a helmet.

Mariovntr

If anyone is looking to buy a helmet, Level Nine Sports has a huge "Thursday Only" Sale Today (October 23rd). Bern 2015 G2 Zip Mold Helmet is $49.00 MSRP is $139.99