• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Simple Poll. Helmets. Do you use them or no?

Do you use a helmet when you ski

• Yes

Votes: 79 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

C-Rex

Helmet doesn't do much good if it doesn't stay on your head while you're cart wheeling down the hill.

I look at it this way. 1) My brain is important to me and also the one thing that when damaged, it generally doesn't heal back to normal. 2) I have to keep my head warm so I have to wear something. If that something can protect said brain while also keeping me comfy, well that's a win-win. I also find that helmets are generally more comfortable than hats. But maybe that's just me. 3) If fashion is your reason for not protecting your head, then by all means don't wear one. The world could certainly do with less vain d-bags only concerned with what others think.

That said, I can see if you are the type that just cruises, sticks to blues and greens, and doesn't take risks that you might just go hat and sunglasses. As long as people are educated on the subject, I say let them make their own joice. Just don't expect me to donate to the fundraiser for the guy in a coma because he was ripping glades in a beanie.

Cannonball

I started wearing one when I switched from skiing to snowboarding in '95 and was taking some brutal falls. Since then I've probably only skied/boarded a total of ~3 days without one (and that felt weird).

A few people have mentioned tree skiing vs groomer skiing as a difference in when you'd wear one. I don't agree. I'm always more nervous skiing crowded groomers than quiet trees, because I trust myself more than I trust others. It's like driving a car. I'm pretty confident that I can get around without crashing on my own. But cripes there are some scary people on the roads.

Mariovntr

I started wearing one when I switched from skiing to snowboarding in '95 and was taking some brutal falls. Since then I've probably only skied/boarded a total of ~3 days without one (and that felt weird).

A few people have mentioned tree skiing vs groomer skiing as a difference in when you'd wear one. I don't agree. I'm always more nervous skiing crowded groomers than quiet trees, because I trust myself more than I trust others. It's like driving a car. I'm pretty confident that I can get around without crashing on my own. But cripes there are some scary people on the roads.

I agree with that completely. Crowded groomers make me nervous!

BenedictGomez

I agree with that completely. Crowded groomers make me nervous!

Absolutely. My most dangerous fall last year came on a simple beginner trail at Shawnee in the Poconos of all places. A 15 year old girl cut cut across me at an almost 90 degree angle from about 5 feet. To my immediate left was a dropoff. Nowhere to go, not enough room to stop, other people on the right. I intentionally 1/2 hockey-stopped / 1/2-dumped it, which was the best of no options.

Really, most of the bad accidents I personally see at the mountain occur on the easier intermediate runs.

Thanks, didn't thing of that. I was planning to look for a solid World War I German style one.

Don't get the pointy version.

images

Cornhead

I bought one several seasons ago, I usually wear it unless its too warm, or too cold. Last year I ditched it during the "Polar Vortices" and opted for my old faithful Mad Bomber hat. Mad Bomber+balaclava+goggles = bring it Ma Nature. I like the back of my neck swaddled in rabbit fur when it's uber cold.

I did have one incident where the helmet saved me from at least a headache. We got 6-8" on top of a very firm base, ice. I crossed my tips and was slammed onto my chest. I bounced and smacked the back of my head on the rebound. I was grateful I had my helmet on. Should it be replaced after having absorbed an impact? Probably, but I don't plan on buying a new one any time soon.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Puck it

So you wear a helmet when you drive.

Scruffy

I don't snowboard, but with skiing trees there is the potential of burring a tip under a submerged branch and getting pitched forward head first into a tree trunk or rock. Don't ask me how I know. I now always wear a helmet in the trees, well not always, if I'm backcountry skiing, not at the resort, skinning for turns, I'll sometimes forget to pack the helmet.

BenedictGomez

skiing trees there is the potential of burring a tip under a submerged branch and getting pitched forward head first into a tree trunk or rock. Don't ask me how I know.

That happened to a guy I was skiing with at Smuggs back in March. He did a roll-forward and hit his head on a small tree (maybe 4" or 5" in diameter) and it left about a 25¢ size dent on his helmet.

bvibert

Staff member
skiing trees there is the potential of burring a tip under a submerged branch and getting pitched forward head first into a tree trunk or rock. Don't ask me how I know.

That happened to a guy I was skiing with at Smuggs back in March. He did a roll-forward and hit his head on a small tree (maybe 4" or 5" in diameter) and it left about a 25¢ size dent on his helmet.

Same thing happened to me at Sugarloaf during the last summit. We were in some trees that weren't necessarily 'open'. Luckily for me though my head just barely missed a decent sized tree as I was sliding face down in the snow. Luckily the worst part was that it took a considerable amount of time to locate the ski under the snow and tangle of branches.

jimk

This poll is interesting because it shows how dominant helmet use is now, at least among avid types that read ski forums in Oct:spread:

I just got a new helmet. I've been wearing one 95% of the time for the last seven seasons. I really started wearing one out of peer pressure. Everyone else had one and I felt like a geezer way behind the fashion curve, which is pretty much the truth. I wear a helmet when riding a bike almost daily, so it was no big stretch to put one on for skiing. My new one (Giro Nine.10) has a little brim on it which I hope will be nice for glare that I am sensitive to on real sunny days even through goggles. I went for the Billy Kidd look once in Feb 2013 for a retro day, but I got cold and soon put the helmet back on.
jim cowboy hat ski 2.jpg

Cannonball

I don't snowboard, but with skiing trees there is the potential of burring a tip under a submerged branch and getting pitched forward head first into a tree trunk or rock. Don't ask me how I know. I now always wear a helmet in the trees, well not always, if I'm backcountry skiing, not at the resort, skinning for turns, I'll sometimes forget to pack the helmet.

No doubt!! I wasn't suggesting not wearing a helmet in the trees. That's a given. I was suggesting that it's just as important out there on the busy groomers.

I always debate for the BC. It kinda sucks to carry on the up, but it's very comforting to have on the down. I've actually even worn my helmet to XC when I knew I was headed to "steep" trails in icy conditions.