• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Shop Expertise

SkiFanE

$60/hr is a bargain for a plumber in my neck of the woods.

And one to come at the last second when emergency calls? I once heard someone say it's an awesome profession to get into (if you have the stomach for it). Because ultimately...when you're standing in shit in your house...no matter how poor or rich you are...or how the economy is doing...you're going to call a plumber.

And a firefighter friend of mine told me the story of a mansion in the rich town he worked for...basement got totally flooded in sewage...his captain said "this is when affluence meets effluence...". LMAO.

Domeskier

Do plumbers really make most of their money on emergency repair work? I would have thought it was the big jobs - new homes, renos, etc.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Do plumbers really make most of their money on emergency repair work? I would have thought it was the big jobs - new homes, renos, etc.

They bill at a lower hourly rate for contract jobs. As Skifane said though, in emergencies, they can charge much higher. I have paid $90 and $75 for such services the two times we have had an issue. Both jobs took 30 minutes tops. They also make money by marking up parts.