• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Shop Expertise

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I've always felt uncomfortable buying equipment from a ski shop. Why? Mostly because it feels like they are just trying to sell "what's on the truck" rather than to meet my needs. It gets worse, later in the season once they start having sales.

Once I have described my skiing intent, almost all of them are quick to grab one pair and say "these are perfect for you." They tend to be high priced. Classic selling technique. It's only when I push that s/he pulls out any other comparable models. Sometimes they are not comparable. Again, back to "sell what's on the truck."

I also just can't be sure they have the breadth of inventory to meet everyone's needs.

It all comes down to the competency of the salesperson and developing a relationship with them.. And it's still really hard for me to tell, even after all these years, since I don't go in anymore.

It's easy to say "go research it on the web" and buy it from the web. I'd much rather "buy local".

I also hate brick and mortar store shopping. I like buying local, but I don't want to spend 100 gallons of gasoline to go from store to store and figuring out for myself who has the best ski for me. I know, that's the way it is, like buying a pair of shoes, but with the myriad of skis for sales, it's a complex combination of variables that meet to make the ski for me.

There ARE excellent sales people, knowledgeable and helpful, but they are hard to find.

What do you think?

mriceyman

Find a reputable shop on here relative to where u live. Im sure people on here have great contacts that you can utilize and it cuts out all the bs of finding the right salesman to deal with. Id much rather a local shop than a big box store.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

I am on board - I go online for everything! I research everything, read about the products intended market, etc. Last night and today, I stood foot in three ski shops and started asking questions and all seemed to be up on the marketing material. Armed with information I gathered online, I entered with a target ski that my wife wants. Most tried to up sell to a ski I was not interested in. Knowing online pricing, I started looking around and I found binding prices to be about $40-$50 more expensive, current year model skis not much of a difference (still higher though), last year model prices way higher, boot prices are about the same pattern as the skis. BTW I also went to Sports Authority while I was at it and their selection sucked (generic market purchasers).

IMO, many of the avid skiers on this site are not your typical shop customers (not saying you don't go to a shop - just more knowledgeable) and can technically totally avoid the running around and hassles. Most of us enjoy reading about gear like it is the newspaper. Most of us, can read the specs and know what they mean. So .... online purchasing with free shipping is a no brainer.

Now I know there are people here that do shop locally and will pay the premium, in fact, some of you have no problem dishing out money on the latest gear at the inflated prices. My sister used to be one of those people that walked in to Ken Jones and pay $800-$900 on skis and pay $600 on boots and at the same time buy all the accessories. I thought she was f'n nuts. Finally convinced her last year to look online and research tent sales or whatever because I showed her that the skis she bought could have been purchased for about 60% of what she paid.

Unfortunately, local markets can not compete with the higher volume online organizations. However, based on what I have seen in these stores, plenty of people still go there.

steamboat1

When I purchased new skis two years ago I knew exactly what I wanted. I was able to beat any price I found online by $50 at the ski shop I frequent most often.

dlague

I have to note - I went to the ski shops because I wanted to have binding put on my sons skis. Sports Authority in Manchester NH mounts and checks bindings for $25. I brought one boot they said they need both (never heard of that). While in town opted to go to Ken Jones to find out there mount and check is $60 (what?). Looked around and I was shitting my pants! I returned to S & W in Concord, NH (just to pop in) for the fun of it, knew there price for the mount and check is $40. Called Ski and Sports in Plymouth, NH - mount and check was $50.

Finally went to Ski Fanatics in Campton, NH and the mount and check was $25 - refreshing. That same ski shop had some pretty good deals on last year model skis and they were all in agreement that buying last year gear is the way to go. They were a no pressure shop and cool to hang around in. Actually bought my son's poles while I was there (big spender that I am $20).

Hawkshot99

Finding a good salesman in any buissness can be quite difficult. I personaly am a very laid back no pressure sales guy. I do not work on commision so way less pushy. If I was paid based on my sales I am sure it would change quite a bit, when I am looking at a empty dinner table.

Of coarse whatever a shop has is "the best". Will a chevy sales guy ever tell you to go down to the ford dealer?

wa-loaf

Buy my boots in the shop, most everything else is done online these days. A lot of online places will even mount for you if you give them the bsl. Even had a place drill holes for a binding I already had last year. Did the rest of the work myself.

murff81

Agreed, if you do your research before hand, most purchases can be made online. Boots are pretty much the only thing I would buy from a shop.

Even then depending on the price I will try on everything at shop and purchase online....I don't like to do that as buying local is better, but if they can't come close to online price I take to the internet. (My local shop is knowledgeable but sometimes come across snoody)

dlague

Agreed, if you do your research before hand, most purchases can be made online. Boots are pretty much the only thing I would buy from a shop.

Even then depending on the price I will try on everything at shop and purchase online....I don't like to do that as buying local is better, but if they can't come close to online price I take to the internet. (My local shop is knowledgeable but sometimes come across snoody)

Even with boots - your mondo size, in step and last does not really change. I find that sticking to a boot brand generally works best. However, if switching to a different brand, I have no qualms with shipping them back - summer gives me plenty of time to do that.

wa-loaf

Even with boots - your mondo size, in step and last does not really change. I find that sticking to a boot brand generally works best. However, if switching to a different brand, I have no qualms with shipping them back - summer gives me plenty of time to do that.

If you haven't gone the extra step to get custom foot beds and stance analysis (canting and fore/aft balance) you are really missing out. It will make a real impact in your skiing.

dlague

If you haven't gone the extra step to get custom foot beds and stance analysis (canting and fore/aft balance) you are really missing out. It will make a real impact in your skiing.

Did you pay for that? I have bought boots in the past at a few shops and they never went that far. It was more like trying on shoes. Once again, once you know that then you can look online for boots that have features to adjust for cant issues and custom foot beds can go in any boot - at least they did for my son. My son had custom foot beds created at the podiatrist though.

I am actually pretty happy with my skiing - not going to be the ski-off champion but I am comfortable where I am.

Quietman

If custom foot beds are out of your price range, I recommend these Sole Softec Response Insoles They are heat modable for a custom fit, and have are the best that I've ever used. I have a pair in my trail runners and another for my ski boots as they are about 1/2" shorter. They also have the Softec Ultra model which is thicker.

wa-loaf

Did you pay for that? I have bought boots in the past at a few shops and they never went that far. It was more like trying on shoes. Once again, once you know that then you can look online for boots that have features to adjust for cant issues and custom foot beds can go in any boot - at least they did for my son. My son had custom foot beds created at the podiatrist though.

I am actually pretty happy with my skiing - not going to be the ski-off champion but I am comfortable where I am.

The foot beds are extra, usually around $100. The other bootfitting stuff is usually included especially when you are paying $400-600 for high end boots. Cuff canting is not the same sole canting. I first had it done 7 years ago and it made a huge difference in my performance. Edging suddenly became easier (my left foot always wandered a bit) and I felt much more balanced. The bad thing about it is now that I know this I can't go back to off the shelf boots.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Don't tell them what kind of skier you are. Tell them what kind of ski you want. How do you find that out? Demo.

dlague

Yes, and their numbers are dwindling for a reason.

Not so fast!

Note chain stores dropped slightly and remained flat, Internet sales increasing bit by bit, specialty stores are still the bulk of sales but trending downward. Overall the market peaked and then went flat.

Specialty stores will be supported by new entrants and intermediates that do not have any interest in knowing much about their gear, loyal customers that like the ski shop experience, and consumers of apparel. Snow sports purchases are a 2.6 billion dollar business with 640 million in the form of equipment the remainder is apparel and accessories.

chart_aug_jan_2012_030613-600x363.jpg

HowieT2

I dont know if that is necessarily true. I was an 11.5 shoe for 20 years and then a few years ago I noticed new shoes I bought online seemed tight. went with my son to buy him shoes and while I was there, measured my feet and to my surprise, I'm a 12.5-13.
and for ski boots, imho, having them fitted by someone who knows what they are doing is worth it. and if there is any issue, the shop can work on them.

as for skis, I buy online and have the bindings mounted up in VT. the local ski shops in westchester, Ny are no good.