• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

World Cup Racing 2014-15

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It's here! If the WC's are on then it's ski season! There's enough snow (barely), but hey, time for some live stoke!

This Saturday kicks it off at Sölden 25th-26th October 2014.

I'll get my EuroSport subscription renewed and watch while I wax my quiver!
Looking forward to hearing Nick Fellows again!
I don't even care what Universal sports is doing this year.

FIS

US Ski Team

Ready, set go!

BenedictGomez

I don't even care what Universal sports is doing this year.

It sure would be nice to see FIS skiing again live, but I'm not paying eleventy-billion for it, and I only have access to Universal if I buy Comcast's most expensive cable package. Longing for the eventual day when cable TV isnt a "legal monopoly", and more channels are offered a la carte. Sigh.....

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It sure would be nice to see FIS skiing again live, but I'm not paying eleventy-billion for it, and I only have access to Universal if I buy Comcast's most expensive cable package. Longing for the eventual day when cable TV isnt a "legal monopoly", and more channels are offered a la carte. Sigh.....
I don't have any of the cable companies Universal supports.

It's costing me 4 Euro/month of EuroSports plus $55/year for the VPN to get me there. I used it all last season. I used a $30 software package to record the races that happen at 3am. Worked out great.

Puck it

A freak injury while playing an impromptu game of football with his teammates could sideline Norwegian skiing great Aksel Lund Svindal for the entire World Cup season.

The five-time world champion was training in Soelden in Austria ahead of the opening races at that ski resort next week when he tore his Achilles tendon.

Svindal described on his official Facebook page what had happened.

"I was out for a little run with the rest of the team... We ended the session playing around with a ball. Just holding it up in the air between us.

"Suddenly I felt something snap in my leg and I knew right away that something was wrong. Achilles."

Svindal, a two-time overall World Cup champion, was rushed to hospital in Innsbruck, 100km away, and underwent surgery straight away.

"Extremely bad timing just as the season is about to start. But now that it's happened there's not much I can do," he wrote.

"Nobody can say 100% sure how long the recovery will take, but I'm ready for the weeks that are coming."

Norway team doctor Jacob Strauss gave a gloomy verdict. "He will probably not get back on his skis before three or four months."

Svindal was due to defend his world downhill title at the championships in Beaver Creek in Colorado next February and the setback places that in some doubt.

The 2010 Olympic super-G gold medalist is no stranger to injury and missed most of the 2007-8 season after a heavy crash at Beaver Creek on the testing Birds of Prey course.

"I'll stay in Austria for a while before I go back to Norway and discuss further rehab with the crew at the Olympic Center in Oslo," he added.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Yeah, I saw that. That will take a little excitement out of the season. I see Tina Maze, Ted and Jules are back. I wonder how Vonn is doing? She intends to be back.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
When I watched the replay tonight, I thought I was confused. Here's someone who never did GS Worlds before. First time out, first place. Unbelievable!

She has raced GS on the World Cup before. Best finish was 2nd place. Her gaining and experience is starting to help her in GS. I think she will be better than Lindsey Vonn. Seems more grounded.

jerryg

She has raced GS on the World Cup before. Best finish was 2nd place. Her gaining and experience is starting to help her in GS. I think she will be better than Lindsey Vonn. Seems more grounded.

Confirmed. It was her first win, but she was racing WC GS all last year. While I agree she seems pretty grounded, it's all about those around her and the outside influences ($$$$$) are going to start to flow even more. LV opened the door wide open with that and MS is going to be huge because she's smart, smarter than LV. She and LV could really battle for the overall this year if LV is back to form in the speed game.