• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski length question

dlague

I have been looking a skis for my wife and have decided on a couple - Rossignol Temptation 88 or Volkl Yumi. Problem is they come in lengths of 154 or 162. She currently skis on a 158 length ski. Should I go up in length or go down. I think that on groomers she would be fine with either but in the woods I am thinking that the shorter length might be better.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

gmcunni

158 to 162cm is 1.5 inches, i doubt it would be noticeable. and if the new ski is rockered vs old not, it might actually be "shorter" in terms of contact points.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You are not providing enough information for people to offer advice.

How tall is your wife? How much does she weigh? (you can fudge that number a bit for her own modesty ;) ) How aggressive and accomplished of a skier is she?

Also, I'm guessing because AZ is 99.9% Sausagefest, most folks know very little about the dimensions of those skis besides the length you offered. What's the width and TR for those models.

Hawkshot99

Also, I'm guessing because AZ is 99.9% Sausagefest, most folks know very little about the dimensions of those skis besides the length you offered. What's the width and TR for those models.

The Temp 88 is the ladies version of the Experience 88. It is 88mm under foot. No metal, but basalt stringers running inside.
The Yumi, is from Volkl. There is not a exact mens version, but I would call it a Volkl Kendo with out metal, and narrower at 83mm. It has a decent amount of rocker in the tip.

Depending on what she is coming from I would go with the Yumi in a 161. This was a very popular ski for me last year in the demo fleat. The Volkls have quite a bit of rocker for a all mountain ski, and so ski shorter than their #. If her current ski has alot of rocker, then this will affect the situation.

dlague

The Temp 88 is the ladies version of the Experience 88. It is 88mm under foot. No metal, but basalt stringers running inside.
The Yumi, is from Volkl. There is not a exact mens version, but I would call it a Volkl Kendo with out metal, and narrower at 83mm. It has a decent amount of rocker in the tip.

Depending on what she is coming from I would go with the Yumi in a 161. This was a very popular ski for me last year in the demo fleat. The Volkls have quite a bit of rocker for a all mountain ski, and so ski shorter than their #. If her current ski has alot of rocker, then this will affect the situation.

That is correct Hawkshot.

About my wife - when we ski with groups she hates skiing with women or at least the women that we know. She likes skiing with the guys since that pace is faster. We have four boys and she has always skied with us. Over the past two years her progression has been to get her skiing steeper trails, bumped out glades, faster speeds. She is still timid on bump runs but can do them. Example of some of the trails she will ski Steins Run (Sugarbush), Tight Lines (Saddleback), Front 5 at Cannon, anything black at Okemo and Bretton Woods, Superstar, Ovation and Vertigo (Killington), last year skied just about everything at Magic. Does she kill it on those runs - IMO she does great but proceeds with caution as she should as confidence builds up. She is very interested in progressing further. She is about 5'4 130.

Just realized her current ski is 156. Now looking at Volkl Kenja too

She currently skis Moment Hot Mess

156 cm 108.0mm 81mm 97mm 12.5 m

Volkl Yumi
161 cm 125.0 mm 83.0 mm 103.0 mm 17.1 m

Rossi Temptation 88
162 cm 135.0 mm 88.0 mm 124.0 mm 13.0 m

Volkl Kenja
156 cm 127.0 mm 87.0 mm 106.0 mm 17.0 m

Hawkshot99

I personally realy like the Kenja over the Yumi. A little bit wider, but not a wide ski for everyday use. It has full metal through out the ski rathrr than just a wood core ski.
I am not sure about the design of the Hot Mess and how it compares. Is it a twin tip? If so this will make it ski much shorter than the number on the ski. So going to a longer ski will seem much longer.

dlague

I personally realy like the Kenja over the Yumi. A little bit wider, but not a wide ski for everyday use. It has full metal through out the ski rathrr than just a wood core ski.
I am not sure about the design of the Hot Mess and how it compares. Is it a twin tip? If so this will make it ski much shorter than the number on the ski. So going to a longer ski will seem much longer.

Yes Hot Mess is a Twin Tip with early rise up front.

Hawkshot99

Yes Hot Mess is a Twin Tip with early rise up front.

If that's the case I might choose the shorter size.
A twin usually skis shorter than its cm size by abiut 1 size, because of the turned up tail. So you are looking at traditional flat tails, they will ski longer than that twin. Also if they are stiffer, and most likely the new skis will be, then that makes them a bit harder to ski as well.