• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

October Turns

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Tucks is an April/May thing, with June being a possibility if you're willing to a hike a long ways for a few turns.

It has snowed every month of the year on Mt. Washington, but it's a dusting -- it doesn't stick. It's probably turning white up near the summit area by now, but there are very big rocks up there that need to be covered.

That is an understatement - I just looked at the webcams and its frozen solid and covered in snow.
attachment.php

3.3" in Oct and 0.3" in Sept. Even if it were a foot, I doubt you'd see much skiing. They don't call it The Rockpile for nothing.

Rowsdower

Mt Washington is all about snowpack, not snowfall month to month. April, May, and even June and July you can ski because the snowpack has built up over the season and takes a long time to melt. September and October, while it does snow, since you're starting from 0 its basically un-rideable. You need several feet of snowpack to start thinking about skiing Mt Washington. It's not like Mt Hood where you have a permanent snowfieldglacier to start over from.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I can't. I really can't. I'm losing it. I need a fix.

OK , Here's an idea I had , I really wanted to be the first to do this,,,,But work is insane and you really need it worse than I do.
1. Rocks skiis
2. make water proof molds the width of skiis , can be in sections
3.take some 1/4'' threaded rod 24'' pices bend 3'' 90deg bends on ends of them.
4. drill holes on skis for rod to fit through
5.place bent rod sections in molds and suspend in water with 2'' sticking out .
6 add old rags to water for support.
7. freeze molds
8. attach frozen sections to skis with wing nuts and washers
9. Ski on hard surface.......

10.. Not responseable for injuries inspired but some guy on the net.

skiNEwhere

OK , Here's an idea I had , I really wanted to be the first to do this,,,,But work is insane and you really need it worse than I do.
1. Rocks skiis
2. make water proof molds the width of skiis , can be in sections
3.take some 1/4'' threaded rod 24'' pices bend 3'' 90deg bends on ends of them.
4. drill holes on skis for rod to fit through
5.place bent rod sections in molds and suspend in water with 2'' sticking out .
6 add old rags to water for support.
7. freeze molds
8. attach frozen sections to skis with wing nuts and washers
9. Ski on hard surface.......

10.. Not responseable for injuries inspired but some guy on the net.

Maybe I'm not picturing this right but would this allow for use of your edges?

Riverskier

Not really the case at Sunday River, as they have opened in October 6 of the last 7 years, so October turns are pretty reliable. That said I am certainly eager, but not losing sleep if it ends up being the first week of November. Beyond that I am going to start losing it!!!

Skiing by Halloween is usually a stretch goal anyway. Anything before November is really a bonus.