• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Re: preseason shell maintenance

HowieT2

Re: preseason shell maintenance

I'm squarely in pregame mode. About time to get the gear ready. I've gotten into the habit of washing the shells with tech wash and then running them through a cycle with the water repellency refresher and then into the dryer. I've seen where some recommend doing the spray on water repellent, but that seems like an unnecessary pia to me. Wondering what you guys do, if anything.

Edd

I wash once a season unless something happens. I don't do the water repellent stuff because I'm concerned it will compromise breathability. It seems to me after 4 seasons the gear will no longer perform as it once did no matter what's done. Time for new stuff at that point. YMMV.

gostan

This is a preseason ritual for me. Tech wash and warm dry and waterproof wash and warm dry. I was ready a couple of weekends ago.....just in case.:spin:

HowieT2

I wash once a season unless something happens. I don't do the water repellent stuff because I'm concerned it will compromise breathability. It seems to me after 4 seasons the gear will no longer perform as it once did no matter what's done. Time for new stuff at that point. YMMV.

Fwiw-the water repellency refresh does work. It's a noticeable difference.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
i haven't used tech wash. I notice my shell doesn't dispel water as much as it used to. What's the correct way to handle Gore Tex? I'm pretty sure the manual just says do a regular wash gentle cycle to refresh the liquid repellant on the exterior of the shell. I have an Arctery'x FWIW.

Domeskier

Whatever happened to that ectoplasmic goo that promised to create a 6 inch dry zone around any product you dunked in it?

moresnow

i haven't used tech wash. I notice my shell doesn't dispel water as much as it used to. What's the correct way to handle Gore Tex? I'm pretty sure the manual just says do a regular wash gentle cycle to refresh the liquid repellant on the exterior of the shell. I have an Arctery'x FWIW.
You want to wash it to keep it breathable. Dirt and salt from your sweat can clog the pores.

If water on the fabric stops beading, you need to refresh the DWR. I prefer the spray over the wash in type.

Here are directions from Gore, but the same holds true for any waterproof breathable fabric.
http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/content/care-center/washing-instructions

Domeskier

You will find it at the bottom of Satan's Stairway.

No - this was definitely a home depot thing. What you'll find at the bottom of Satan's Stairway are the frozen corpses of those rash enough to challenge it!

SIKSKIER

I have 3 Arcteyrx shells and have used the tech wash and waterproof.I'm be happy with better water repellancy than breathability.Mine dont seem to have nearly the water beading properties they used to so maybe I'll try a spray on.What kind do you guys recommend?

moresnow

I have 3 Arcteyrx shells and have used the tech wash and waterproof.I'm be happy with better water repellancy than breathability.Mine dont seem to have nearly the water beading properties they used to so maybe I'll try a spray on.What kind do you guys recommend?
I've always used Nikwax products and had good results.

darent

I've always used Nikwax products and had good results.
me also, Nikwax products work for me, and I have some old stuff that works like new. I recycle my ski wear into work wear that takes more of a beating on job sites than on the ski slopes.