• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Teaching a 2.5 year old

deadlymonkey

We just returned to the Northeast after 3 years living in Northern Japan. The skiing was amazing there but I wish my kids were old enough to enjoy it. My oldest will be turning 2.5 this December and I would love to start him off early and right. Looking around it looks like Smuggler's Notch is the one place that teaches kids this young. Does anyone have experience there?

Cannonball

Don't have kids myself. But close friends have 4 kids. that all started at Smuggler's Notch at about that age. The parents swear by that program and it seems like there are really good deals. The kids are now 6-12 and are great for their ages.

Good luck

wa-loaf

The key at that age is to not expect much and keep it fun. It's more just getting them used to being on skis and sliding. Keep time out on the slopes short so it's a good experience. Age 3 and 4 is where they can really start taking off.

Ragman

Heh heh I remember getting passed by 3-5 yr olds on Lower Infinity and Southern Cross at Bristol.

No poles and no fear.

drjeff

Both my kids started off at age 2 for a couple of days at Killington in their kids program, It's basically daycare with sessions IF THE CHILD IS INTERESTED where they got my kids into ski gear and walked around a bit in the equipment and eventually onto one of their very small, very flat magic carpets. The program flat out told me that if my child wasn't having any fun when they went outside that they might not ski, it was solely based on the enthusiasm of the child, not necessarily the want of the parents(the daycare crew/instructors are VERY GOOD motivators at getting most kids enthusiastic enough to want to get onto skis)

Most of their experience was full out fun (same from my point of view watching from a distance ;) )

SkiFanE

One of my kids started at 2.5yo. One I tried at 3 and she was miserable so we tried again the next year.

Personally, I wouldn't start a program so young - not that it's bad...but hot damn... being there with him skiing the first days was an absolute blast, I'd never want to out-source that! He'd only last a couple hours, and the magic carpet made it a breeze. But really...enjoy the experience yourself. I put that kiddo into program the following year, he got about 5-6 days on magic carpet with me/us when he was 2.5yo, but I wouldn't trade those memories for anything (he's 9 now and an awesome skier).

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
We just returned to the Northeast after 3 years living in Northern Japan. The skiing was amazing there but I wish my kids were old enough to enjoy it. My oldest will be turning 2.5 this December and I would love to start him off early and right. Looking around it looks like Smuggler's Notch is the one place that teaches kids this young. Does anyone have experience there?

where ever you decide to do ski lessons, do yourself a favor and start your kids with a couple simple ski related things....

- spend time playing in ski boots at your house. they'll enjoy it for 20 minutes and want to take them off. the idea is, to get them comfortable walking in them, feel the awkwardness and adjust.

- spend time outdoors playing in their snow suit and boots. see above

- if available, put them on skis yourself. you can save a lot... A LOT of headache, time and money if you are set up to "go skiing" in short, 20 minute sessions with your toddler and work up from there. with my 2 year old, i thought it successful if he slid 10 feet and didnt fill a diaper.

- as you progress past a simple glide, and gain interest in a lesson program, look for energetic instructors that your child could develop a relationship with. Almost all of the kids lessons that dont go well are due to that interaction between coach and student. obviously, comfort, safety and fun are gonna take priority if there is to be any learning involved.

i have an instructor who was with Smuggs for years. Specifically with child lessons. He moved south and i gained a great, knowledgeable guy. he has nothing but great things to say about Smuggs and their program.

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
One of my kids started at 2.5yo. One I tried at 3 and she was miserable so we tried again the next year.

Personally, I wouldn't start a program so young - not that it's bad...but hot damn... being there with him skiing the first days was an absolute blast, I'd never want to out-source that! He'd only last a couple hours, and the magic carpet made it a breeze. But really...enjoy the experience yourself. I put that kiddo into program the following year, he got about 5-6 days on magic carpet with me/us when he was 2.5yo, but I wouldn't trade those memories for anything (he's 9 now and an awesome skier).

agree

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
My son is 2.5 this winter also (born June 2012).

I'm really debating how far I want to take it this winter. I will obviously put him in the backyard on plastic skis just to play around, but I haven't decided if actually going to wachusett or something is in the cards. I don't think they open up for lessons unless you are at least 4?

Also, do you guys take kids on the lift then, or just walk up the hill a a bit and hold them sliding down?

Definitely want to get my son exposed asap. Last year I pushed him around the backyard and it was fun and all but I don't think I can really call that skiing, haha.

MadMadWorld

Some mountains offer free use of their magic carpet. My daughter will be about the same age this year and we are going to give it a shot. No expectations except to have fun as a family. When she is no longer having fun that's when we will stop whether it's 5 minutes or a couple of hours. Find a magic carpet with a natural run out. Let them point the skis and go. The best you can hope for is they make it to the bottom standing up. To me, if my daughter was smiling and enjoying herself then I was successful.

dlague

I started my youngest off 2.5 years by using a tether/harness system. Most ski areas would not start lesson until age 3. Tethering actually worked pretty well. Started off with him reeled in and as we got moving I let out the tether. By March of that year, we would take him off the tether and let him ski independently (he had no control) and I would steer him no and then. Sometimes I would ski backwards and have him hold my ski pole.

At age 3.5 (year later) we put him in 1 hour private lesson for 3 consecutive days during early season and he never looked back! We even trusted him alone with our 9, 10 and 12 yer old at the time ( told then to stick to specific trails.

dlague

My son is 2.5 this winter also (born June 2012).

I'm really debating how far I want to take it this winter. I will obviously put him in the backyard on plastic skis just to play around, but I haven't decided if actually going to wachusett or something is in the cards. I don't think they open up for lessons unless you are at least 4?

Also, do you guys take kids on the lift then, or just walk up the hill a a bit and hold them sliding down?

Definitely want to get my son exposed asap. Last year I pushed him around the backyard and it was fun and all but I don't think I can really call that skiing, haha.

Our kids never really used magic carpets primarily because there wasn't one where we were. McIntyre for our oldest used a t-bar, Our youngest was three day at Owls Head and they put him on the chairlift - he did really well. When I tethered the youngest I brought him all the way up top at Ragged, Gunstock and took the easiest way down.

BTW they generally need to be helped/lifted on until 5 or so for the most part. Detachable lift not so much since there is time. I am sure many of you have been asked by the ski school to take some kids up and help them on/off the lift.

With our oldest. once they started skiing better we would typically go until they got tired, generally around 1 ish. However our youngest was on a whole different playing field. Since his older brothers were ski skiing all day - he wanted no part of stopping mid day.

elks

Don't expect much at 2.5. Most kids don't have much stamina / attention for skiing at that age and I haven't seen many places that take kids that early. I believe Nashoba starts at 3 and Wachusett at 4 around my area. I certainly wouldn't drive far. Whatever is close will undoubtedly do just fine.

I wasn't a fan of the harnesses with my kids, but I recommend the Lucky Bums easy wedge for the little ones. They really help with muscle memory.

MadMadWorld

Don't expect much at 2.5. Most kids don't have much stamina / attention for skiing at that age and I haven't seen many places that take kids that early. I believe Nashoba starts at 3 and Wachusett at 4 around my area. I certainly wouldn't drive far. Whatever is close will undoubtedly do just fine.

I wasn't a fan of the harnesses with my kids, but I recommend the Lucky Bums easy wedge for the little ones. They really help with muscle memory.

Wawa will take private lessons at 3 but it's a complete waste. Lie about their age and throw them in polar kids!

mikestaple

Keep it fun. I had a super jocky 2 year old. Just did silly laps w him on the bunny hill at Sugarloaf. Don't do the leash. Just stay with them. Be able to ski next to or backwards in front of them. It's really just glorified sledding for them. And the magic carpet is the bomb. A couple of laps. Hot chocolate in the lodge. Thats a full day and that's what it is all about.

At 4 they can really start controlling their muscles. Until then it's just super fun snow time w mom and dad. Treat it that way.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Rothski

The magic age is 4. My three boys all were exposed 2.5 - 3, but once they turned four it was like a light switch went on. That was the point they had the physical coordination, etc. before that, I was taking them down the beginner hill between my legs. Which they all loved.

Now they are 11, ,9 and 7 and they are very capable. First trip out west this year! :daffy:

SkiFanE

Some mountains offer free use of their magic carpet. My daughter will be about the same age this year and we are going to give it a shot. No expectations except to have fun as a family. When she is no longer having fun that's when we will stop whether it's 5 minutes or a couple of hours. Find a magic carpet with a natural run out. Let them point the skis and go. The best you can hope for is they make it to the bottom standing up. To me, if my daughter was smiling and enjoying herself then I was successful.

You mean free for the adult? Not sure. But young kids are always free. We rented skis & boots first year for $10/day, would be silly to buy so young. Since we were at mountain anyway with him a lot while one of us skied with older kids, it was a no brainier to try it. And seeing us always going stoked him. My older kids had to learn using a horrible tow rope with bars - so hard with a little kid, I cannot rave enough about magic carpets. My kid "rode the magic carpet" - he just skied down to get another ride up.

and be prepared - a day with a lil kid is much tougher than a day of moguls lmao, start practicing bending over picking up a 25 bag of potatoes for 4 hours straight before you dare!

MadMadWorld

You mean free for the adult? Not sure. But young kids are always free. We rented skis & boots first year for $10/day, would be silly to buy so young. Since we were at mountain anyway with him a lot while one of us skied with older kids, it was a no brainier to try it. And seeing us always going stoked him. My older kids had to learn using a horrible tow rope with bars - so hard with a little kid, I cannot rave enough about magic carpets. My kid "rode the magic carpet" - he just skied down to get another ride up.

and be prepared - a day with a lil kid is much tougher than a day of moguls lmao, start practicing bending over picking up a 25 bag of potatoes for 4 hours straight before you dare!

Correct. Attitash for example offers free use for adults.