• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Peak Resorts: The New ASC?

catskillman

There has been talk of one at the base of the West Side for years and years and years........

cdskier

Sounds like while the terrain expansion will potentially make the lift lines better on average throughout the resort and trail crowding a lot better, there are other elements of Hunter that also need a capacity upgrade that this expansion will only put further strain on. Is there any chance for a new base area anywhere?

IF they see the increased earnings that they are predicting from this terrain expansion, I would think that is coming from increased skier visits. They are increasing terrain 25% and projecting a 25% increase in earnings. To me that means they're essentially assuming a 25% increase in skier visits. If we put 25% more people on 25% more terrain, then the way I see it you'd have essentially the same crowds you have today. Of course if they don't see the level of additional skiers that they are projecting, then a new lift and more terrain would help alleviate crowds (on trails and lifts) a bit. But without more base facilities, that part would certainly be worse than it is today.

Jully

IF they see the increased earnings that they are predicting from this terrain expansion, I would think that is coming from increased skier visits. They are increasing terrain 25% and projecting a 25% increase in earnings. To me that means they're essentially assuming a 25% increase in skier visits. If we put 25% more people on 25% more terrain, then the way I see it you'd have essentially the same crowds you have today. Of course if they don't see the level of additional skiers that they are projecting, then a new lift and more terrain would help alleviate crowds (on trails and lifts) a bit. But without more base facilities, that part would certainly be worse than it is today.

Very true, but I too doubt we will see a true 25% increase in skier visits. Could also be they will be upping prices to get that increase in earnings too haha.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well, the plan does say there will be a parking area over at the base of the new lift. I wonder if a small day lodge is also in the plans. Unless they plan on it being a satellite parking area and bussing people who need services back to the main base.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

Very true, but I too doubt we will see a true 25% increase in skier visits. Could also be they will be upping prices to get that increase in earnings too haha.

Hah...that thought crossed my mind as well!

benski

I would bet the intermediate terrain increases the % of skiers at hunter buying tickets, going to ski school, and paying window rates instead of online rates since hunter is really only pleasurable if you either avoid a lot of the intermediate terrain or are drunk, scarring away families who demand intermediate terrain.

Newpylong

Yes, but bills after the season are part of the next fiscal year (Peaks fiscal year end is the end of April). So that revenue value is their revenue for their year, but as you pointed out, revenue is a pretty pointless value by itself. Their EBITDA for the fiscal year is projected to be $26-27M, which is a bit better indicator of how well they did but is still not a real "net income" number which will be substantially lower than that. They are projecting they will have $30M cash on hand though which sounds decent.

In this industry, that is more than decent! It's always great to see someone do well.

Funky_Catskills

Well, the plan does say there will be a parking area over at the base of the new lift. I wonder if a small day lodge is also in the plans. Unless they plan on it being a satellite parking area and bussing people who need services back to the main base.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

I'e heard day lodge on the west side - like Bear Mtn at KMart...

Funky_Catskills

Yes - It's SOOOOOO bad.... A terrible place for people that suck at skiing... But for people that CAN actually make it down a hill without blaming someone for their incompetency - it's a great mountain.