• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Peak Resorts: The New ASC?

trackbiker

Those #'s are for revenue, not net profit. There is a big difference!

I realize that. I was just speculating.

"I would bet their percentage of profit is much higher than the larger areas...."

I didn't see anything on the net profits (loss) for each area. But most of those little areas have to have relatively smaller costs when you look at snowmaking acres and that most of the lifts have been there for years.

Highway Star

I think this revenue summary shows how some of these little areas can be very profitable. I would bet their percentage of profit is much higher than the larger areas when you look at skier numbers and costs. Little 300 ft. Mad River OH is number 3 for revenue. :-o Wildcat is number 11 but that could be because of the problems they had last year.
attachment.php

Err....they have an overall yield of $60 per skier visit. Mad River is like $43.50.........

Vail's is like $160.

Their operating profit margin is probably right around 30%, which is pretty good actually.

Tin

Those #'s are for revenue, not net profit. There is a big difference!

In the last couple of years they have invested over $4,000,000 at Crotched and Wildcat, above and beyond normal operating expenses, with yearly revenue of less than $8,000,000. Going to be a while before that investment is paid back.

But Crotched will make it back and is continuing to grow. The same cannot be said about Wildcat imo.

HowieT2

You can't run eastern ski areas with a 80% LTV (loan to value) mortgage at a 10% interest rate. No way, not a chance. These guys are hosed.

Isnt that the point of the ipo? To pay off the debt (at least what's coming due in 4/16) and eliminate the personal guarantees of the principles.

Im surprised mt snow has only 468k skier visits/yr.

Brad J

Peak more than likely gives Wildcat a few years before any real consideration of selling. They've got of couple of their company wide young gun, rising stars there running it and now they seemingly have working infrastructure unlike last year

May be it me but if last year was an indication of how there rising stars can run an area, then Peak Resorts are screwed!!

WWF-VT

The SEC Form is a very interesting read and provides a lot of insight into the economics of ski area operations.

From the S-1

"Wildcat has garnered a reputation for strong spring skiing as it has had the latest closing date of any lift-serviced ski resort for the past eight seasons
. "

That's news to me.

Edd

From the S-1

"Wildcat has garnered a reputation for strong spring skiing as it has had the latest closing date of any lift-serviced ski resort for the past eight seasons
. "

That's news to me.

I ski there regularly and, yeah, that sounds wrong.

Quietman

From the S-1

. "

That's news to me.

It should read latest closing date in NH

deadheadskier

Staff member
They should cut a deal with Vail.

Vail takes Mt. Snow, Attitash and Wildcat, plus they eliminate Peaks debt at the smaller areas.

Peaks gets to keep doing what they do best in running the smaller feeder areas free of debt, Vail gets into the Eastern market in a big way.

We Northeast skiers score big by getting in on the Epic pass.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
They should cut a deal with Vail.

Vail takes Mt. Snow, Attitash and Wildcat, plus they eliminate Peaks debt at the smaller areas.

Peaks gets to keep doing what they do best in running the smaller feeder areas free of debt, Vail gets into the Eastern market in a big way.

We Northeast skiers score big by getting in on the Epic pass.

I don't see that happening. Vail wouldn't wanna touch Mount Snow's 50+ year old base area infrastructure. They like things new and shiny. I also don't know how keen they are on 2 resorts in rural NH far away from the airports of NYC and Boston that will take people to the big mountains out west.

If anything, its more likely Vail would want some of the smaller ski areas Peak owns, since some are close to cities.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
dude, we're talking perfect scenario for NE skiers and riders here. work with me

Lol. Vail will come to NE soon DHS. My guess is they'll take a small hill by NYC or Boston. Maybe they'll make a deal with Interwest and buy Stratton and Mountain Creek. With Waterville's financial difficulties, already-made master plan, and village they're a good candidate too.

Brad J

My dream for Wildcat is for a group of extremely wealthy skiers buy it from Peaks and form a skier owned area like MRG. Not worry about profit , just make a paradise of natural skiing for us.