• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Peak Resorts: The New ASC?

EPB

I'm not sure if running ski areas with Wall St's best interests in mind, rather than skier/riders best interests, is a great idea...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be more worried about who's running the place than big bad Wall Street.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The issue I see with Bretton Woods purchasing the property is that Bretton Woods is a resort that has a ski area. I'm not sure if they want skiing to be their primary focus.

You would think that when Omni took over, but they've still maintained being one of, if not the first ski area to open for the season in the state and the second to last to close. They also still blow a ton of snow.

Skiing is definitely a HUGE focus for them still.

Tin

I would view what Wildcat does with their new system as an indicator. If they go nuts early and it brings in the people they will sell it, if the visits don't come they're really really screwed. If they don't go nuts with it then who knows, maybe just bad business.

VTKilarney

You would think that when Omni took over, but they've still maintained being one of, if not the first ski area to open for the season in the state and the second to last to close. They also still blow a ton of snow.

Skiing is definitely a HUGE focus for them still.
My point was that blowing snow at Bretton Woods fills hotel rooms and condos. Blowing snow at Wildcat does not.

deadheadskier

Staff member
A lot of negatives but what they did with Crotched is impressive. Almost 100k visits last year and catching on. It could survive independently. If they went under someone would buy Crotched in a second.

The only thing holding Crotched back is the crap ass roads to get there. It certainly isn't the skiing product. That is fantastic for a little 900 vert hill.

Someone needs to convince the state to expand 101 West into a highway like the eastern half of the state. That would be great for the economy in the Southwestern part of the state.

MadMadWorld

I would view what Wildcat does with their new system as an indicator. If they go nuts early and it brings in the people they will sell it, if the visits don't come they're really really screwed. If they don't go nuts with it then who knows, maybe just bad business.

Have you been there?

Website
www.nebackcountry.blogspot.com
A lot of negatives but what they did with Crotched is impressive. Almost 100k visits last year and catching on. It could survive independently. If they went under someone would buy Crotched in a second.

After discovering the Crotched sidecountry/slackcountry last year I'll be heading up there for my quick get-away ski days- versus Wa-wa. Crotched is a little futher from MetroWest Boston... and the back roads make it a bit hairy in bad weather, but there's just much more fun factor up there.

Throw in the new Crotched Rocket... that place almost makes me forget about East Bowl. Almost.

Tin

After discovering the Crotched sidecountry/slackcountry last year I'll be heading up there for my quick get-away ski days- versus Wa-wa. Crotched is a little futher from MetroWest Boston... and the back roads make it a bit hairy in bad weather, but there's just much more fun factor up there.

Throw in the new Crotched Rocket... that place almost makes me forget about East Bowl. Almost.

It is amazing. The opening of the West Ledges gets skied off quick but there are a lot of options down that not everyone knows about. The back and area around the Snakerun are not hit nearly as hard.

Website
www.nebackcountry.blogspot.com
It is amazing. The opening of the West Ledges gets skied off quick but there are a lot of options down that not everyone knows about. The back and area around the Snakerun are not hit nearly as hard.

Yeah I was in there three days after a big storm last winter and still found untouched stuff with just a little schwacking.

VTKilarney

You people are proposing something much too simple.

Here is how they should join the resorts:
A magic carpet that takes you to a shuttle bus that connects with the cog railway. Once you get off the railway at the summit you transfer to either a mountain coaster or zip line to the base of Wildcat.

JimG.

Staff member
The only thing holding Crotched back is the crap ass roads to get there. It certainly isn't the skiing product. That is fantastic for a little 900 vert hill.

Someone needs to convince the state to expand 101 West into a highway like the eastern half of the state. That would be great for the economy in the Southwestern part of the state.

Then everyone will go there and all we'll hear about is how crowded it gets.

drjeff

Peak more than likely gives Wildcat a few years before any real consideration of selling. They've got of couple of their company wide young gun, rising stars there running it and now they seemingly have working infrastructure unlike last year

Last edited:

Highway Star

Well, this doesn't sound good. Can't say this is a surprise.

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=174

Peak Resorts to Attempt IPO Again
Wednesday, October 22, 2014, NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com

I'm no banker, but 175 million $ in the hole probably isn't a good thing I suppose.

You can't run eastern ski areas with a 80% LTV (loan to value) mortgage at a 10% interest rate. No way, not a chance. These guys are hosed.

trackbiker

I think this revenue summary shows how some of these little areas can be very profitable. I would bet their percentage of profit is much higher than the larger areas when you look at skier numbers and costs. Little 300 ft. Mad River OH is number 3 for revenue. :-o Wildcat is number 11 but that could be because of the problems they had last year.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Peak Resorts Revenue.JPG
    Peak Resorts Revenue.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 300

Quietman

Those #'s are for revenue, not net profit. There is a big difference!

In the last couple of years they have invested over $4,000,000 at Crotched and Wildcat, above and beyond normal operating expenses, with yearly revenue of less than $8,000,000. Going to be a while before that investment is paid back.

Last edited: