• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

November 1? *Drumbeats*

Cannonball

The famous Halloween storm of 2011 in fact had no bearing on the terrible winter that followed. But for us who are superstitious, having so much snow across such a wide area, away from the mountains, was a bad omen. We had a dusting on Long Island for gods sake! Kiss of death....

For those wanting to ski, this storm never had the potential to in-and-of-itself allow areas to open.

Well do a little dance or eat a black cat or something if superstition is your thing. (I think you're supposed to believe in it to make it work, so I won't bother). But it can't hurt so go for it!

I couldn't care less about areas opening now. I just want to ski!!! I'll take anything!

Puck it

Well do a little dance or eat a black cat or something if superstition is your thing. (I think you're supposed to believe in it to make it work, so I won't bother). But it can't hurt so go for it!

I couldn't care less about areas opening now. I just want to ski!!! I'll take anything!

Take it easy, Francis!

Honestly, the storm going south may be a good thing in the long run. When the models were suggesting that the storm would "bomb-out", that buckle in the flow would usher in very warm air for the following week. By warm air, I'm talking a week of... possibly high 60's to low 70's for highs and lows not even sniffing freezing. In fact, some guidance was suggesting that the warm up could last through mid-month.

Now since the storm is trending south, models are in agreement that the pattern will remain relatively normal; small warm up here, small cold shot there. This bodes well for ski areas, as this is a much better pattern for snowmaking than the first solution, a gross understatement. That hypothetical warm up that a strong storm could have helped usher in was modeled to last at least through Mid November, a disaster for ski areas trying to open up early.:-o.

A storm is always exciting, but cold weather for snowmaking is a priority right now, and this storm staying away would definitely help the resorts fire up the guns sooner rather than later.

〽❄❅

Then I wont talk about all the stink bugs I've seen , Although the ladybugs have started to appear.
(reference to earlier personal fokelore predicter) Last year lady bugs galore, Crappy snow years stink bugs.
Really...not having a stink bug problem here, hiked the Appalachian trail Pinnacle and Pulpit Saturday and at one point we had lady bugs pelt down on us, a fricken squadron of them like i've not seen before! Was talking about cross-country skiing at the time too...

catsup948

Since everyone's memory is a bit fuzzy this is the one I'm mentioning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Halloween_nor'easter

Bunches of snow with leaves still on the trees makes for a mess. Still thought it was neat until I got tired of skidding on manmade hardpack later that season.

Snow was about 30 inches at the top of berkshire east the next morning. It was almost too much to get speed going. Thought we were in for a real epic winter after that. Boy were we not in for an epic winter after that!

yeggous

I keep checking the models and can't quite decide what to expect from snowmaking production during this cold snap. There is a case to be made on both sides. I am trying to get a handle on whether it is worth staying up in North Conway for Monday and Tuesday in hopes of seeing some skiing.

Tin

Midweek next week would put a dent in anything they blow. Looking at 50 degrees and rain. They might not start until the following sadly.

Puck it

Midweek next week would put a dent in anything they blow. Looking at 50 degrees and rain. They might not start until the following sadly.
At the 3360 level of NRT, the temps are okay in the low 40's but the problem is the night time temps are only in the mid 30's. That is a problem. They can't blow at night to recover the loss.

Tin

At the 3360 level of NRT, the temps are okay in the low 40's but the problem is the night time temps are only in the mid 30's. That is a problem. They can't blow at night to recover the loss.

Just bad all around. Maybe some inversion at what I was looking at for K. Things don't look horrible for Wildcat though if they would want to break in those new guns and pipe. Much colder, 1-3" for Saturday and upper 30s mid week. They could blow starting Saturday night and go until Monday night.

Puck it

Guns are set up on Reason. Sorry for the pic being bad. I had snap a pic of my iPad screen with iPhone since works firewall will load the webcams at Killington. I am getting that tingle.

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 216
And now the GFS blows the storm up into Warning criteria snows in ski country:dontknow:

I am perplexed by this storm right now.

slatham

Joe Bastardi has not given up on this storm being a good snow (if not more) in the NE mountains. The models have started trending west. Tonight's 0z runs of the euro and gfs will be interesting to see if the trend, which really shows in 18z gfs, continues and is agreed by both or not.

Of particular note - this time last week the models had a huge RIDGE over the NE with warm temps for this weekend. They are not handling the pattern well. Will the warm ups we see on the models over the next 2 weeks be over done and fade with time?

slatham

Joe Bastardi has not given up on this storm being a good snow (if not more) in the NE mountains. The models have started trending west. Tonight's 0z runs of the euro and gfs will be interesting to see if the trend, which really shows in 18z gfs, continues and is agreed by both or not.

Of particular note - this time last week the models had a huge RIDGE over the NE with warm temps for this weekend. They are not handling the pattern well. Will the warm ups we see on the models over the next 2 weeks be over done and fade with time?

ScottySkis

New slightly used Fisher Watea s skis coming in the mail in a few days. I can use my old rock skis, . Powder day in Roxbury again like a few years ago. Please let it snow for all the mountains in NE(north east) thanks ski and snowboarding gods.