• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

From Good Skiing to Fast Skiing

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Excellent article.

"I saw a very different Mikaela Shiffrin win (in a tie with Anna Fenninger) the first World Cup race of the 2014-15 season and claim her first World Cup GS victory. What I saw in Mikaela’s skiing was not good. “What?,” you say, “She just won a World Cup race and you’re saying that it wasn’t good skiing.” Well, yes, but give me a little space to explain myself."

http://www.drjimtaylor.com/3.0/good-skiing-fast-skiing/

deadheadskier

Staff member
I tend to agree. When I think of fast and reckless, I think of Bode. When I think of Ted, I think of flawless technique, but obviously still very fast - best in the GS business.

I get what the author is getting at though. The fastest skier on our high school race team skied that kind of reckless. If you saw him in training, you'd think no way was he the best skier on the team.....until you looked at the stopwatch.

Personally, I've never had the balls to ski reckless fast like that. Then again I only participated in organized racing for about 6 weeks. Maybe if I put more into it and learned how to race, I would've let the skis fly a bit more.

skiberg

He is spot on. Cant tell you how many times I have sat at the bottom of the hill saying "Wow that kid is absolutely skiing great" then the time comes up and its average. Marcel Hirscher is a great example of this. At times he appears absolutely our of control. Save after save after save. Yet he is ALWAY amongst the fastest.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
This makes me think if two skiers from the past. Ingemar Stenmark was not only fast but stylish and Franz Klammer who always looked out of control.

drjeff

I am a firm believer in that there are just some people, who regardless of their technique just know how to go FAST, almost like a 6th sense that allows them and their bodies to just "see" and find speed, it's something that IMHO just can't be taught. There are also lots of people of who are incredibly technically sound, and can certainly go fast, but can't ultimately go FAST, no matter how much coaching and conditioning they do.

tree_skier

It is like my 2 kids one looked great but wasn't particularly fast, had ok results but you would had thought he was faster. Other one screaming fast but looked terrible. however if you forget everything from the boot up and just look at the skis, the fast one's skis were near perfect and the slower one had little bits hear and there where you could tell cost speed. Unfortunately, for me, the screaming fast one chose basketball.