• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Challenge Results: Brian Heon of Wildcat

jimk

Well done. Not being a techie guy I had never seen this kind of snowmaking info before: "The snowmaking technology that is being installed at Wildcat this year has been specifically designed and engineered to account for Wildcat’s unique, extremely cold mid-season water supply temperature." Brian's detailed explanation of the phenomenon of Wildcat's extra cold water source made sense to me. I wish them a good season. Wildcat is one of the scenic gems of Eastern skiing.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
^Yeah, I thought that was really cool. his responses overall were really great & in depth. Love it when they are very honest and open with the community.

MadMadWorld

Wildcat is a phenomenal mountain if they can get in the early/late season game it could really improve traffic numbers. I don't know if they will steal much from Killington but definitely Sunday River!

VTKilarney

I'm a little confused about the water temperature issue. I had always heard that this was a hinderance, but the way it is described by Brian, Wildcat's cold water seems to be an advantage.

Brad J

I really hope that Brian does a great job there this year, the place deserves the attention in infer structure it has gotten, with the low price of diesel fuel let's make some snow and I am sure the news will spread. good luck Brian, I will erase last year from my memory

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would go there instead of K if they offer the 2fers like K does early season

I hope they do. It would be a smart marketing plan.

That is key. It needs to be price competitive.

I'm somewhat skeptical about how aggressive their early season pricing will be based on a recent email conversation I had with their customer service.

My email was to see if their Vertical Value Card could be applied towards early and late season walk up rates. The answer I got was no, it can't be applied towards mid season rack rates and that it can't be combined with other discounts no matter what time of year. That makes sense to me for liftopia discounts or cheap midweek twofer type deals. I think it's a mistake to not allow purchasers to use it early and late season.

Early and late season Wildcat often charges $40-50. You can ski K or Sunday River typically for about $30 prior to December 1st with the various deals they offer. If Wildcat allowed you to use the Value Card discount, they'd be right at the same price (and offering a better trail IMO).

We will see how it all shakes out, but I think it would be bad revenue management on their part to price themselves above SR or K. If anything I think they should price themselves 20% cheaper than the competition to generate some buzz and show off their new snow making equipment and get some skier visits back. They only got 64K people to the hill last winter. A mountain with that kind of terrain and it's location should do double that IMO.

Savemeasammy

I looked at getting the vertical value card since I enjoy wildcat, and crotched is close to home. The lift ticket is obviously worth the cost of the card, but the weekend discounts make me yawn... I wish they would do better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
The Sunday afternoon discounts with the card are pretty good. Gets you a half day on the hill for $22.50 at Wildcat and Attitash. It just would be nice if you could use the card early and late season.

I'm getting it for basically the $50 lift ticket and the off chance I can blow off a midweek day of work for a $37.50 powder day.

machski

Wildcat is a phenomenal mountain if they can get in the early/late season game it could really improve traffic numbers. I don't know if they will steal much from Killington but definitely Sunday River!

Honestly, I don't see Wildcat having the revenue stream to justify trying to be in the first to open in the east club. Unless Peaks wants to pull from the other resorts pockets or a big early dump on the Cat, I just don't see them being competitive with SR and K on this. SR has too many race programs that rely/use their early season terrain to train on and they have the beds too for those teams (how many beds does the Cat have? Oh right, none). Also, a top to bottom run to be first to open? That is a lot of snow to push out, new guns and hydrants or not. If they go for it, great. But it would likely be a financial hole they'd have to dig out of instead of a boost.

Savemeasammy

I would love to see Peaks make their passes reciprocal during early/late season. I, for one, would probably get a crotched pass if I could access the other resorts - as an example - before and after Crotched opens/closes (or some other arrangement).

MadMadWorld

Honestly, I don't see Wildcat having the revenue stream to justify trying to be in the first to open in the east club. Unless Peaks wants to pull from the other resorts pockets or a big early dump on the Cat, I just don't see them being competitive with SR and K on this. SR has too many race programs that rely/use their early season terrain to train on and they have the beds too for those teams (how many beds does the Cat have? Oh right, none). Also, a top to bottom run to be first to open? That is a lot of snow to push out, new guns and hydrants or not. If they go for it, great. But it would likely be a financial hole they'd have to dig out of instead of a boost.

No raining on our parade!

VTKilarney

There is a lot of pent-up demand for early skiing in that area, though. And it's closer than Sunday River for a lot of people.

I'm not convinced that it would be profitable, but the overall public relations benefit may be worth it to show that their snowmaking problems have been resolved - especially during a time of year when people are starting to think about their winter travel plans.

yeggous

I would love to see Peaks make their passes reciprocal during early/late season. I, for one, would probably get a crotched pass if I could access the other resorts - as an example - before and after Crotched opens/closes (or some other arrangement).

They do offer a reciprocal pass with Crotched. It's the Granite Pass.