• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Average Annual Snowfall in the Northeast (Map)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Cool map from the US Weather Service in Burlington

attachment.php

Attachments

• annual snowfall.jpg
    annual snowfall.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 352

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I didn't realize how much better southern Vermont fared than southern NH. I would have assumed they would be somewhat similar.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I wonder what the data set they're using for this is? I know the past couple years, So. VT has been the bullseye of a number of storms, that may swing the averages a little bit.

mriceyman

When they say lake placid is that whiteface or the town itself?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
I didn't realize how much better southern Vermont fared than southern NH. I would have assumed they would be somewhat similar.

Lot more elevation in Southern VT mountains. Heck the Berkshires have higher elevation than most of southern nh

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Also interesting that the So. Greens have a much broader coverage of snow, where No. VT looks like it's just the peaks. I assume that's because the So. Greens are broader mountains that cover more area, and the No. Greens are steeper?

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Also interesting that the So. Greens have a much broader coverage of snow, where No. VT looks like it's just the peaks. I assume that's because the So. Greens are broader mountains that cover more area, and the No. Greens are steeper?

That is exactly correct.
However, snow retention is not as good in the southern greens (warmer average temps).

KevinF

So according to this map, the eastern half of Massachusetts -- i.e., Worcester and Middlesex counties -- average 100 to 124 inches of snow a year?

Some Googling shows that Worcester airport usually sees in the 60-70 inch / year range. NWS is saying nearly twice that?

fbrissette

These are Prism maps. They are produced by interpolating weather stations (mostly in the valleys) using an elevation and slope aspect dependent algorithm. Prism maps are beautiful but are essentially elevation dependent.

There is no weather, satellite or climate knowledge in these maps.

They are useful for a lots of applications, but NOT to figure out who gets the most snow.

Cornhead

Big red spot above Snow Ridge, my semi local powder hot spot. LE is usually nice and fluffy too. Can't wait for my first visit, usually about the time I've had enough of man made groomers at my home hill, Greek Peak. I had more days at Snow Ridge than I did at Greek the first month or so of last season, and I have a season's pass at Greek.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

slatham

Elevation explains both low snow in Southern NH vs So VT and high snow in the Whites. While the highest totals are in the Whites, that is irrelevant to someone choosing lift served skiing, which tops out at 4,100', whereas there are many, many peaks higher than that.

While I don't have the data in front of me, I believe that VT ski areas have higher ave annual snowfall than NH areas.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Elevation explains both low snow in Southern NH vs So VT and high snow in the Whites. While the highest totals are in the Whites, that is irrelevant to someone choosing lift served skiing, which tops out at 4,100', whereas there are many, many peaks higher than that.

While I don't have the data in front of me, I believe that VT ski areas have higher ave annual snowfall than NH areas.

4100 is nearly treeline. Above that the snow is often so wind blown, measuring it is nearly pointless. FYI - Mt Washington avg = 281. http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/normals.php

benski

SoVt also has an underrated elevation advantage. Stratton's peak is over 4,000 feet.

Calling BS on anywhere in CT averaging over 100 inches.

Stratton tops out at 3875 and get 180 inches a year.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone