• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tom Menino loses his battle with cancer

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sad day for Boston. A people's Mayor if there ever was one.

This all comes as a bit of a shock. I know he announced he was stopping treatment last week, but I didn't expect him to pass so quickly. The reason I say this is I was fortunate enough to serve he and his family in late August on one of my last evenings working in the restaurant business. He looked and sounded great. You wouldn't have known he was sick at all had you not followed the local news. At the time i thought he had many months left. It was a great evening. He was kind, polite, funny and very generous.

RIP Mr Mayor

SkiFanE

Sad sad day. A building at my hospital is named for him, for good reason - he believed in healthcare equally for all and worked tirelessly with our hospital to achieve that. I've been in/out of Boston for work since 1990, and the improvement in the city since he's been mayor is huge. I've heard him speak after eloquent, educated and wealthy people...and he certainly lacked in that area (lol)...but actions always speak louder than words. RIP - you are greatly missed.