• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Nov. 3, 2014

powhunter

I was X 05B and had a PRC-77 strapped to my back might as well have painted a bullseye on that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Nov. 6, 2014 - Thurs.
I had so much fun on Monday, I returned today. The warm weather of the last few days took its toll on Upper East Fall, with a 20 foot brownish stretch to get to the moguls. The moguls were fun but there was some breakthrough to dirt in the troughs. Rime and Reason were both fine. No line at any time during the day. In the early PM, it began to flurry above 3000' and light rain below that. There was still a little natural snow in the woods above 3500'.

Never-the-less, the prudent use of snowmaking ensured an adequate base so that there was no need to close operations. Kudos to Killington's management and snowmakers.

The snowmakers were connecting hoses in the PM in prep for tonight when snowmaking temps should return.

I noticed that the access road from East Mountain Road to the Bear Peak Base Area has been repaved over the summer. That road was pretty rough and that paving job was way overdue.

powhunter

Nov. 6, 2014 - Thurs.
I had so much fun on Monday, I returned today. The warm weather of the last few days took its toll on Upper East Fall, with a 20 foot brownish stretch to get to the moguls. The moguls were fun but there was some breakthrough to dirt in the troughs. Rime and Reason were both fine. No line at any time during the day. In the early PM, it began to flurry above 3000' and light rain below that. There was still a little natural snow in the woods above 3500'.

Never-the-less, the prudent use of snowmaking ensured an adequate base so that there was no need to close operations. Kudos to Killington's management and snowmakers.

The snowmakers were connecting hoses in the PM in prep for tonight when snowmaking temps should return.

I noticed that the access road from East Mountain Road to the Bear Peak Base Area has been repaved over the summer. That road was pretty rough and that paving job was way overdue.

Nice! The dirt line s usually the best line

dlague

I was X 05B and had a PRC-77 strapped to my back might as well have painted a bullseye on that lol

Now that I think about it - that true - been there done that too! Look for the guy that has an antenna standing next to an officer.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Nov. 10, 2014 - Mon.
The regulars with whom I hang out at Killington were still buzzing about how jammed it was on Sat. the 8th. Lines on the North Ridge: About 30 minutes. I figured with SR, Sugarloaf, Wildcat and BW being added to the "open list" it would have taken a lot of pressure off of Killington. Apparently, not.

Today was busy. The lift line disappeared by 1 PM, but it was a steady 3 to 5 minutes all morning. Some schools apparently gave Monday off to make a 4 day weekend, which ends tomorrow with Veterans Day.

It was nice not to have to hike down the Peak Stairway with Upper Great Northern open. All runs were resurfaced and groomed, but by the PM, moguls were reappearing on Upper East Fall. Cover was excellent with the exception of a thin spot or two at the top of Upper Double Dipper.

reefer

Nov. 10, 2014 - Mon.
The regulars with whom I hang out at Killington were still buzzing about how jammed it was on Sat. the 8th. Lines on the North Ridge: About 30 minutes. I figured with SR, Sugarloaf, Wildcat and BW being added to the "open list" it would have taken a lot of pressure off of Killington. Apparently, not.

Today was busy. The lift line disappeared by 1 PM, but it was a steady 3 to 5 minutes all morning. Some schools apparently gave Monday off to make a 4 day weekend, which ends tomorrow with Veterans Day.

It was nice not to have to hike down the Peak Stairway with Upper Great Northern open. All runs were resurfaced and groomed, but by the PM, moguls were reappearing on Upper East Fall. Cover was excellent with the exception of a thin spot or two at the top of Upper Double Dipper.

Thanks for the update. Very much appreciated. Keep em' coming. Will probably have to wait until next week to get up there.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Nov. 13, 2014 - Thurs.

The skiing today was fine, but the noise was over-the-top. The North Ridge was blanketed with the old (very noisy) snow guns. I don't think there was a place between the Summit and the bottom of the North Ridge where the ambient background noise was safe for the guests. It was impossible to have a conversation on the lift.

I left really early and I notice that my ears are still ringing

Does anyone know: Are there standards for ambient noise?

ScottySkis

Was their a concert going on. I think it keeps ringing I would go to a ear doctor. I been by plenty of Loud snowmaking machines and never had thaqt happen. Hope all is well.

Nov. 13, 2014 - Thurs.

The skiing today was fine, but the noise was over-the-top. The North Ridge was blanketed with the old (very noisy) snow guns. I don't think there was a place between the Summit and the bottom of the North Ridge where the ambient background noise was safe for the guests. It was impossible to have a conversation on the lift.

I left really early and I notice that my ears are still ringing

Does anyone know: Are there standards for ambient noise?

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Was their (sic) a concert going on. I think (if) it keeps ringing I would go to a ear doctor. I been by plenty of Loud snowmaking machines and never had that happen. Hope all is well.
A concert going on? Great question! I guess if you weren't there, it was a symphony of snowmaking. If you were there it was pure cacophony. As an early season regular, I too have been by many a snowmaking machine, but I've never seen the guns at this density with no place to go to get out of the noise, short of climbing the Peak Stairway and going into the Summit Lodge. The normal exits: Ridge Run, Killink, etc. all had guns going too.

Thank you for your concerns about my hearing. The ringing has mostly abated by the morning.

powhunter

Thanks for the update. Very much appreciated. Keep em' coming. Will probably have to wait until next week to get up there.

Let me know when you and DE are gonna be up. Next Tuesday is on the radar

reefer

Let me know when you and DE are gonna be up. Next Tuesday is on the radar

Man down....DoubleEject may be out for season. Knee. Be out there solo a lot..................................
Tuesday is a possibility.