• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

10 under radar east coast mountains (another list)

deadheadskier

Staff member
How do you define "radar" anyways?

Number of skier visits?

Perceived public knowledge the ski area exists?

Perception of the quality of terrain?

VTKilarney

My definition would center on resorts that people don't think of when making more than a day trip that are indeed worthy of more than a day trip.

dlague

How do you define "radar" anyways?

Number of skier visits?

Perceived public knowledge the ski area exists?

Perception of the quality of terrain?

My definition would center on resorts that people don't think of when making more than a day trip that are indeed worthy of more than a day trip.

For example in NH - Loon, Waterville and BW get all the love Wildcat and Cannon - apparently not as much? Saddleback is overshadowed by Sunday River and Sugarloaf? Bromley by Stratton? Pats Peak by Sunapee? etc.

I think it is up to the readers interpretation.

MadMadWorld

Yes, Yes, No.

I would think perception would be a factor but difficult to quantify. I think most people don't know about the great off map terrain. I would offer up Smuggs as another great example of this. The majority of people know it for its family friendly environment but gets severely overlooked for its advanced terrain.

Puck it

I would think perception would be a factor but difficult to quantify. I think most people don't know about the great off map terrain. I would offer up Smuggs as another great example of this. The majority of people know it for its family friendly environment but gets severely overlooked for its advanced terrain.

Family friendly enivronment.

Screw the Fam, there is no Fam on powder days!!!!!!

dlague

but they get a boat load of people being distributed on double chairs!

Breakout12

What ski areas lists vertical that you'd ever ski? Who skis below midstation at Whiteface the vert king?

Those vert arguments... does anyone really expect a MARKETING department to use a measure of vert that puts them at a disadvantage to the system used by every other ski area? I wonder if you put the "real vertical" on all the printed materials how long you'd last?

So you are saying that people do, in fact, base decisions at least in part on vertical stats.

Heaven forbid that an area be honest. Also, as I pointed out earlier, come places, like Jay Peak, do list the correct, legitimate vertical. Do they suffer because of it?

I don't choose solely on vertical, but I do appreciate honest numbers. Also, when I was at Whiteface, I skied the entire vert, including below mid-station. Why wouldn't I? That is one reason that I like to know vertical stats. My dream is to ski the longest uninterrupted run possible. I wish I could ski for a half hour straight. I know that is not always related to vertical, but it is related.

Finally, in a hypothetical situation, where I had access to very similar mountains, but one had bogus numbers, and the other honest, I would use the honesty as a deciding factor. I would reward the honest mountain.

Does Gore count as East coast, because I was most impressed with it, and so many others have called it underrated. I wish Gore was near Lake Placid, instead of WF. So much for choosing by vertical!

BTW Harvey, I like your blog.

BenedictGomez

Also, when I was at Whiteface, I skied the entire vert, including below mid-station. Why wouldn't I? That is one reason that I like to know vertical stats. My dream is to ski the longest uninterrupted run possible.

I didnt understand that comment either, because it's not like below mid-station at Whiteface is a flat runout. You're still moving downhill (fast if you want), just on less challenging terrain, there's a terrain park, and sometimes there's even some playful moguls near the bottom near the treeline even though it's beginner at that point.

skiNEwhere

I don't get why people are giving jay props for advertising the true amount of vertical.....just look at their trail map, how could they possibly inflate their numbers?

Answer: They can't

BenedictGomez

I don't get why people are giving jay props for advertising the true amount of vertical.....just look at their trail map, how could they possibly inflate their numbers?

Answer: They can't

They could pull a Killington and run a single trail down to the golf course.