• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

For you, what's the minimum terrain open versus the distance you'd drive?

SnowRock

This is a good question... My wife is going away the weekend before thanksgiving and I'm contemplating trying to get some time on the snow.

Usually don't start the season until early December and that's typically a mid week day at hunter once they open and me burning a use it or lose it vacation day.

So wondering where I may head...

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I would drive six hours to ski 500 feet of lake effect blower, repeatedly. Untracked lines all day long.

I would drive three hours to ski (ongoing) manmade gunpow at 15 degrees F or below. On one trail.

millerm277

I'll day trip (<3 hours) for 3-4 ways down. I'm not going to Killington or anywhere else that's going to require an overnight stay unless they've got a sizable chunk of terrain open. For Killington that usually means at least the main runs K-Peak/Glades, Skye + Needles and Snowdon.

bigbog

This is a good question... My wife is going away the weekend before thanksgiving and I'm contemplating trying to get some time on the snow.

Usually don't start the season until early December and that's typically a mid week day at hunter once they open and me burning a use it or lose it vacation day.

So wondering where I may head...

More than a chance of snow Friday into Saturday SnowRock...depending on how close to the coast that next Low positions itself....fwiw....but more canadian air coming down Friday into Saturday = more snow being blown just about everywhere...$.02

*If it's midweek(& Fridays) I'll do a couple hours+ drive(more once I buy a new vehicle(Xterra);-)), especially if the mountain has some steeper terrain/trails...no matter what the conditions, except for EC 32F+ conditions....

Last edited:

C-Rex

I think my decision has more to do with skier density than open terrain area alone. As others have said, it also depends on if I have soemone to go with to share the cost and make it more fun. And of course, early season jonesing plays a big part. I think my first day will be the friday after Thanksgiving if the conditions look decent at Kmart or Mount Snow.

4aprice

Living in NJ, there's a reason I have never skied in Nov or May.

Ok SB I'll bite. Why not? I live in NNJ and have done both. In the old days we had Hunter opening early. I realize its now got to be at least Killington but, I know like me you shuffle up to NH quite often. I'm heading up this weekend and probably hitting BW or Loon which ever gives me the better deal.

BTW If this cold snap works out as forecasted, don't be shocked to see CBK in the Pocono's open at Thanksgiving. It has happened before and I will tell you they will be aggressive and go for it if they can. Another opportunity to ski in November.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Ok SB I'll bite. Why not? I live in NNJ and have done both. In the old days we had Hunter opening early. I realize its now got to be at least Killington but, I know like me you shuffle up to NH quite often. I'm heading up this weekend and probably hitting BW or Loon which ever gives me the better deal.

BTW If this cold snap works out as forecasted, don't be shocked to see CBK in the Pocono's open at Thanksgiving. It has happened before and I will tell you they will be aggressive and go for it if they can. Another opportunity to ski in November.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

It's a nebulous combination of money and time.

5 hours to NH, then another 2-3 hours to a ski area. That's about $80 round trip in gas, plus food and drink, plus lift ticket. It's very hard for me to justify that cost, and a minimum of 14 hours round trip in the car, for a day of very limited skiing. Sure, I could get a hotel in VT, drive straight there from NJ and cut the time to 10 hours round trip, but that runs the costs up even more.

Now that being said, I'm going to try to get up there the weekend before Thanksgiving for non-skiing reasons, and tack on a day at K since I'm already in the area.

4aprice

You would have to pay me to endure November WROD in the Poconos.

Last time there was skiing in Nov in the Pocono's it was anything but a WROD. (fall 2007 or 2008 can't remember) 2 week cold snap (Kind of similar to what may happen now) had over half the mountain covered when they opened. The snowmaking system there is incredibly good and they won't be afraid to use it. Also, even when they opened that early there were still no crowds until Christmas so that was not an issue.

Alex

Lake Hopatong, NJ

steamboat1

$24 a night lodging doesn't add a significant cost to the trip for me. 15 minutes to K from our lodge. I think a bunk in the Turn of River Lodge at K is $35 a night, again no biggie.

WWF-VT

I drive 3+ hours to Sugarbush when there is limited terrain open at the beginning and end of the season. I'm a passholder and stay overnight at my condo so I never do 6+ hours in the car to ski for just a day.

SnowRock

Last time there was skiing in Nov in the Pocono's it was anything but a WROD. (fall 2007 or 2008 can't remember) 2 week cold snap (Kind of similar to what may happen now) had over half the mountain covered when they opened. The snowmaking system there is incredibly good and they won't be afraid to use it. Also, even when they opened that early there were still no crowds until Christmas so that was not an issue.

Alex

Lake Hopatong, NJ

Yeah I have gotten out at camelback early the past few years (2nd week of December) and no one is there. It's the same late season. Mostly diehards.

Post Christmas is when skiing enters the consciousness of the general public that crowds the local bumps.

I am liking the look of the weather for my target season start...may be my first time ever riding in November.

The Sneak

Man
I live 90 miles south of Wa Wa (by car, anyway) and I am there as soon as a WROD exists and the chair is spinning.

This says more about my lack of friends and diversity of interests, maybe.

But in all seriousness, I feel like 5-10 days of early season lapping gets me in better ski shape so when the good stuff is open up north I am ready to rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4aprice

Just as I thought Camelback is starting snowmaking tonight with a projected opening, the day after Thanksgiving. If the forecast is correct it should be significantly more than a WROD.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ