• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

For you, what's the minimum terrain open versus the distance you'd drive?

C-Rex

For the distance you'd have to drive, what's the minimum amount of terrain you'd expect?

For me, I need at least 3 or 4 ways down since I'd be driving at least 1.5 hours and that's to Mount Snow. If I were to go to Killington, I think I'd need a few more. However, those number also depend on what the crowds will be like and the conditions of the open terrain. If they just got 4 inches of natural and no one will be there for whatever reason, I'd drive up for only a few open trails.

Basically, it has to be enough terrain with good enough snow to keep me entertained for at least 4 hours.

Tin

This time of year....if K has some decent bumps (Superstar, Skyelark) I will drive the 3.5 hours each way.

For good conditions in the woods, I have no issue driving up to MRG, Bush, Stowe or where ever under 5 hours. I will prefer when Magic, Crotched, and Berkshire East have it and can keep it under 3 hours.

skiMEbike

"Jonesing" factor, opportunity factor (i.e. no family commitment), time of the year, terrain (challenge & amount) vs time in line or on the chair (read...not sure I could ever do another SR 1/2 trail day with downloading on Locke).

I know others on this board have driven futher for skiing, but my "record" would be a day trip to Jay (from ME) that was 8 hours driving for about 5 hours skiing on Jet & Haynes

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've driven to Jay for a day trip with just the Jet open in May. Its about 4 hours one way

jimk

"Jonesing" factor, opportunity factor (i.e. no family commitment), time of the year, terrain (challenge & amount) vs time in line or on the chair (read...not sure I could ever do another SR 1/2 trail day with downloading on Locke).

I know others on this board have driven futher for skiing, but my "record" would be a day trip to Jay (from ME) that was 8 hours driving for about 5 hours skiing on Jet & Haynes

Agree with this.
Like the OP I'm about 80-90 minutes from the nearest skiing, more like three hours for more interesting skiing. For me it's mostly about cost. I'll ski some pretty skanky conditions and low trail counts if the price is right including someone to share gas/driving. I'll also ski in marginal conditions if I'm meeting-up with the kind of ski buddies that make anything fun. The Jonesing factor can skew decision making to go for a low trail count day in early or late season if I haven't skied in a while. Whereas in mid-season, I might skip a weekend with only slightly subpar conditions if I'm looking at a high personal cost and there is stuff on the home front that needs attention.
Really enjoyed this beautiful day a couple years ago skiing late season white ribbon of death with fun friends at Timberline ski area in WV:
525x700px-LL-4ce3abb3_IMG_0591.jpg

4aprice

Not decided on this yet but I may actually travel all the way to Bretton Woods next weekend "if" they are open. With the cheap early season ticket, as long as Rangeview is open, it would be a nice way to kick off the season. Of course if it wasn't for the fact that the boy is up at Plymouth State and I have a built in excuse to be up there, this wouldn't happen.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

abc

Terrain: minimum of one bump run for any drive longer than 2 hrs! (and that's without factoring lift ticket cost into the mix)

So, since there's no area within 2 hr drive of my home (save for the little "bump" in my backyard), I don't start skiing till there's enough coverage/depth that a mountain will let the bumps form! Typically, that translate into about 10-15 trails open and 12" minimum base.

In practice, that means I rarely start my season till after Christmas. Often even after New Year.

Between road biking and mountain biking, I keep plenty busy and active outside well past New Year easily. So no jonesing to speak of.

dlague

I've driven to Jay for a day trip with just the Jet open in May. Its about 4 hours one way

1 since I have done it at Killington.

Well I have done both in the Spring. Jay Peak skiing off the Jet chair with one or two runs. Killington with Just Superstar open. I have also skied Killington a few years and probably this year on this conning Tuesday skiing the top of K-1. We totally expect to ski from just a few runs in November into December and from late April into May. The again Killington is 1 hour and 40 minutes from us and Jay Peak is 2 hours and 20 minutes. I live pretty close to the heart of ski country.

BenedictGomez

I rarely start my season till after Christmas. Often even after New Year.

Same here, except for me it's dependent on conditions. I skied twice last year before Christmas because the skiing was great. But I have zero interest in skiing in November on WROD or even on 4 or 5 open trails etc... For instance, I've spent the last 10 Thanksgivings in northern Vermont, and haven't bothered to bring my skis even once. Just isnt fun, IMO.

SkiFanE

3 hrs to ski WROD this weekend. Sleep in, show up late when it's soft and bumpy :) Warm ground makes these early days like spring, love it. I can lap one decent trail all day if needed.

HowieT2

different to start the season than thereafter. Have serious need to make some turns. and the wife/kids are getting antsy too. so will do my 4.5 hours happily regardless of terrain. whereas a month from now, it may be a different calculus.

steamboat1

Many 5 hour drives each way to ski what's left on Superstar closing day. Since I haven't skied yet this year my last day out (May 18) was one of these trips. I do stay overnight though.

drjeff

Considering that until my kids found out they'd have to hike from the top of Northridge up to the top of K1 at the end of the day this weekend, I was ready to go to K with them tomorrow for their 2 trails, I'd put mine at about 3.5hrs and 2 trails

abc

No minimum for me. Just need terrain I won't get sick of skiing...
That's pretty much what I based my decision on.

But add the constrain of skiing hr should be more than driving hr, and living 2+ hrs from any real mountain, means there's got to be terrain for more than 4 hrs of skiing.

The kind of terrain that I won't get sick of for a half day of skiing usually has at least one bump run! :)

That requirement had me happily driving up to Killington and yo-yoing up and down Superstar every year in April/May. But wouldn't motivate me to drive up in November to ski the WROD.