• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

freeski

Sorry, a state run mountain does not work with a skier's schedule of first/last. We take it for what it is and enjoy the hell out of it when we can.
Yes, you're right. The potential is there, but the state will never take the risk. In a way, this makes Cannon even better in a Cannon kind of way. I have driven by Cannon a couple of times going to Sunday River when Cannon has a foot or more powder in the spring and is closed.

bootladder

Don't get me wrong, freeski, I love Cannon the way it is and the way it is evolving. State run is good with me.

Early/late season runs can be climbed to if that is your goal (however it is not entirely legal if you read the signs and literature).

granite

I just said could......could have, should have. We all know it will never happen.

SIKSKIER

Forgot the year but I would say somewhere in the 90's Cannon opened Oct 31st..I have that ticket somewhere.They up/down loaded from the tram.I would not think the tram would cost more than the detach to run,just the opposite.The tram would only run every 15 minutes to 1/2 hour for 7 minutes vs nonstop for the chair.I also have a ticket from May.The only times I remember them open in those 2 months.

Last edited:

freeski

Forgot the year but I would say somewhere in the 90's Cannon opened Oct 31st..I have that ticket somewhere.They up/down loaded from the tram.I would not think the tram would cost more than the detach to run,just the opposite.The tram would only run every 15 minutes to 1/2 hour for 7 minutes vs nonstop for the chair.I also have a ticket from May.The only times I remember them open in those 2 months.
Hmm.. I thought the tram was longer, but on the trail map it says it's only 100' or so longer. You might be right, maybe the tram would take less electricity. For late season it would be great to blow 30' of snow on Profile (Cannonball) Superstar style, but yea it won't happen. I like the way the state runs Cannon. It's nice they don't try and squeeze every dime out of the mountain. Also, I think the Mittersill expansion is positive.

SkiRaceParent

I really think the weather of that part of NH is misunderstood. Franconia Notch in general and especially the area towards the north and west of it, are in a downslope area. It is typical for it to be 6 or 7 degrees WARMER there than elsewhere around it during certain weather patterns. Sure, when it's a stiff northwest wind it's colder, but that's atypical of early fall. I actually think Loon, Burke and Bretton Woods, places that are protected from downsloping and where elevation would still be favorable, would beat out Cannon on opening early most years just based on minimum temperatures below 32 in a standard early fall pattern.

Cannonball

I really think the weather of that part of NH is misunderstood. Franconia Notch in general and especially the area towards the north and west of it, are in a downslope area. It is typical for it to be 6 or 7 degrees WARMER there than elsewhere around it during certain weather patterns. Sure, when it's a stiff northwest wind it's colder, but that's atypical of early fall. I actually think Loon, Burke and Bretton Woods, places that are protected from downsloping and where elevation would still be favorable, would beat out Cannon on opening early most years just based on minimum temperatures below 32 in a standard early fall pattern.

But the elevation at those other three isn't 'favorable' relative to Cannon. They are ~800-1000' lower. The past 2 weather events are a perfect example: some snow at Cannon, no snow on either side of the notch.

SkiRaceParent

But the elevation at those other three isn't 'favorable' relative to Cannon. They are ~800-1000' lower. The past 2 weather events are a perfect example: some snow at Cannon, no snow on either side of the notch.

Agreed but natural snow isn't likely going to get you to open first.

MadMadWorld

So they were running the Tram and the Cannonball chair? Seems like a chair would be cheaper to me too.

granite

So they were running the Tram and the Cannonball chair? Seems like a chair would be cheaper to me too.

How many operators for a chair vs the tram. The tram has at least one person at the bottom and one person to ride in the actual tram car. Does operating a tram require more than that. A chair would require at least one at the bottom and the top, but they usually have two at the bottom and one at the top? I would think that if they ran the tram 2 times an hour, it may be cost effective vs running a chair?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wouldn't have a clue which lift if more expensive to run. There are many factors. Horsepower of the engines and fuel requirements, staffing, wear and tear repair costs. No idea

SIKSKIER

4 people for tram and 3 for the chair.As far as hp is concerned,I don't know the numbers on motor size but I look at it like this...The tram carries 70 people in winter plus the weight of 2 trams but does lift another 650 ft higher.The chair can probably have double that at any one time plus the weight of probably 50 chairs.I'm pretty sure the tram motor is larger but I would bet it costs less to run it when the motor only runs 1/3 to 1/2 the time.The labor difference would not really factor in as they use full time employees like maintenance people a lot late and early season.

Cannonball

4 people for tram and 3 for the chair.As far as hp is concerned,I don't know the numbers on motor size but I look at it like this...The tram carries 70 people in winter plus the weight of 2 trams but does lift another 650 ft higher.The chair can probably have double that at any one time plus the weight of probably 50 chairs.I'm pretty sure the tram motor is larger but I would bet it costs less to run it when the motor only runs 1/3 to 1/2 the time.The labor difference would not really factor in as they use full time employees like maintenance people a lot late and early season.

I don't really know much about any of this. But I did have a tram operator tell me something interesting once... The tram is cheaper to run in the summer than the winter because the weight of the people downloading (in summer) helps propel the upbound tram. In the winter, the downbound tram is always empty.

Smellytele

I don't really know much about any of this. But I did have a tram operator tell me something interesting once... The tram is cheaper to run in the summer than the winter because the weight of the people downloading (in summer) helps propel the upbound tram. In the winter, the downbound tram is always empty.

And there are usually more people on it in the winter and they weigh more with ski equipment.

freeski

I'd guess the tram costs more to operate. Look at the haul rope, it's got to be 3 times the size of the quad. When they start the tram up the building shakes the quad just whines like a sewing machine. Even though the quad runs nonstop I still think it would be cheaper to run. Plus, the lodge is better. I've never parked in the tram parking lot.