• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for ski advice for my dad (low intermediate 3x a year skier)

The Sneak

Hello

My father is in his 60s and skis maybe 2 to 5x per year. He is at best of lower intermediate skill level and prefers groomed blues and mellow blacks. He has been skiing on Rossignol Zenith Z1s for a very long time. I picked them up the other day to have them tuned and thought, F this, he's getting new skis from me.

So, while few of us on AZ are this skier profile, surely this is as good a place as any for 'what skis are right for him' advice. My gut says look at Rossignol E74 and E78...what about Volkl RTM 80/81. He's not going in the trees or bumps. We are talking Okemo blue groomer heaven. What do you think? He needs something that can do short and med turn shapes, something with very strong edge hold on east coast boilerplate / hardpack, something that won't wear him and is forgiving of crap technique.

I am hoping to find a deal on leftover/2012-13 stuff.
Thank You!

mr magoo

Light and flexy
RTM's will be too much work.
I wasted my time on stiff skis for 30 years. Fischer Watea comes to mind. Good edge hold, light for new hop and stamina. It will make him a better skier. This guy is no racer.

Hawkshot99

The rossis ski great and are easy to turn, but edge bite is something I would never think of when discussing them

Volkl Rtm 75 is going to a nice intermediate ski. Softer than the 80/81 and m ore forgiving.
Also from Atomic take a look at the Smoke Ti. Consistently on of the best bang for your buck skis out there.
Both skis will have good edge bite and rocker to help him turn easier. Both I believe are priced at $599 as a inline new ski, and you should be able to find cary overs.