• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Massachusetts is open

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Jiminy Peak's snowmaking blog:

After a successful “First Night” of Snowmaking this past Friday night where the temperatures allowed snowmaking from the summit down to the top of 360 and down West Way and part of Grand Slam, we are pretty much dialed in to our snowmaking strategy.

The issues we encountered on our system shake down have been remedied and we are ready to go for our first stint of snowmaking for real. Start up will be Thursday evening with the goal of having enough snow down for some turns on Saturday. That goal is pretty optimistic giving the short weather window and the marginal temps, so maybe it might be Sunday instead. Of course, it will all be up to the actual weather we get and NOT the forecasted weather the weathermen talk about.

So we are ensuring that our snowmaking water reservoirs are full to the brim, the mountain is ready, our pressure system is “auto-started”, and the crews get some much needed rest.

We are chomping at the bit now just waiting for the cold weather to get here. Our focus for opening trails will be on the Summit/Back Chute, West Way, North and Lower Glades, Upper and Lower Sling Shot, 360 and 180. We will also be making on Lower West Way and Grand Slam but they need more time to get open than the interior trails. If time and temperatures allow we will expand the trail network by making snow of Left Bank, Grouse Run, Exhibition East, Raccoon’s Den, Mogul Thing and Cricket.

They've really stepped up their snowmaking program the last few years. Early November is pretty darn impressive for Massachusetts. Kudos to them. Massachusetts opening before Southern NH and VT is amazing. Hopefully they can pull it off and get a good crowd.

The Sneak

'Fun' story:

I skied Jiminy Peak on veterans' day 1992. I was a 14 year old obsessed with skiing. I used to start calling Killington's snow phone every day beginning Oct 1 hoping to hear they were open.

Anyway, somehow we found out Jiminy was going to open for Veteran's Day, with $11 lift tickets. So my father took the day off and drove myself and two friends out that way. We get on the Mass pike and its about 40 degrees and cloudy, looking ominous. We stop at the Ludlow rest area and call to verify they will indeed be open. It's now raining pretty good. The woman tells my father 'we are going to try'.

He says F it. Lets keep going. A steady drizzle turns into soaking rain somewhere around Stockbridge. We get to Jiminy and they are handing out trash bags at the ticket window. As in, put the trash bag on over your jacket to stay dry. It was one run, not even top to bottom. The summit chair back then was the Exhibition double, which had a midway loading station. It was one trail, from the midway loading station back to the base. I can still see it in my minds eye.

We still had a lot of fun though. Veteran's day skiing became sort of a thing, because a year or so later we had top to bottom (long john deer run and maybe standard?) at Mt Snow.

In 2008 I returned to Jiminy for November skiing, off their summit chair. One main route down to the base. This time it was sunny and cold. For a place that seems to stress their 'mini Stratton' shtick over being hardcore, they do an impressive job with early season snowmaking.

Last edited:

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
In the very early 70's, Brodie and Jiminy would try to beat Killington as first to open. Usually Killington would get wind of it and open an hour earlier! I don't recall if it was !971 or 1972, but all three opened on Columbus Day, possibly a day or two before. Brodie and Jiminy both opened in the evening offered free skiing. I remember skiing a few runs at both that evening. For someone who knows some history, it was the year Jiminy opened the "Ace of Spades" chairlift.

ScottySkis

Yes C-Rex I should be at Jiminy Sunday I hope the price is around 30$ but I don't know for sure on price hopefully I meet you and your gf.

C-Rex

Jiminy Peak = Fail.

Yet another quality post. :roll:

Scotty, we're going to keep an eye on the snow report and probably make our decision tomorrow night. It will have to be Saturday for me since my GF has to work all day sunday. If we do go, I'll shoot you a message.

Jiminy is generally way overpriced, IMO. They cater to the well off NY and CT crowd. However, they do usually offer a quality product for a MA ski area. The do a good job with grooming and snowmaking, and even when it gets crowded their 6 pack keeps things moving along. For a smaller mountain, they have some pretty fun terrain. When they get enough natural snow, you can have a blast on the mountain biking trails through the woods if you know where to find them.

Newpylong

Jiminy has always made an assload of snow - the quality of that snow has always left much to be desired though.

skiNEwhere

How much snow is an assload? I always forget if it's more or less than a shitload

Highway Star

Jiminy Peak makes Stratton & Okemo look hardcore, so they've got that going for them.

Highway Star

There are a few unmarked areas at Stratton that would make you shit yourself, stick to your groomers.

I've skied most of the unmarked at Stratton, over ten years ago.

You're an idiot.