• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boston Ski Expo 2014

jimk

Well I can't say I was impressed with this years show...last year got a flex card to sunapee a couple 2 for 1 tickets and some comps....this year I got zilch...and the deals places were offering weren't really anything to write home about either...will definitely think hard about going again next year.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Interesting trio of short posts recently on Slopefillers about the state of Today’s Ski Show Industry. What's Working for Ski Resorts, what isn't?

http://www.slopefillers.com/ski-shows-whats-working/

http://www.slopefillers.com/ski-shows-not-going/

http://www.slopefillers.com/ski-shows-going/

thetrailboss

Staff member
Interesting trio of short posts recently on Slopefillers about the state of Today’s Ski Show Industry. What's Working for Ski Resorts, what isn't?

http://www.slopefillers.com/ski-shows-whats-working/

http://www.slopefillers.com/ski-shows-not-going/

http://www.slopefillers.com/ski-shows-going/

Some interesting points. It's been awhile since I've been to one, but the exclusive deal one is good. The "we don't hand out free lift tickets" comment made me laugh!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Edd

Good to hear that it's improved. I'd pretty much given up on the Expo event. I might reconsider next time.

Smellytele

Scored the $49 stowe tickets. Also got a ski and stay package from Bolton for first week of Feb for 150 for 2 people that i will use in cahoots with the stowe ticket. Ski Sat at Bolton and Sunday at Stowe. The stowe food was awesome and could have just stayed there and eaten all day.
We went to go to the Harpoon brewery and the line was out the door, through the parking lot into the street. Turned around and left.

drjeff

Hit it up for a few hours this afternoon with my kids. Some nice set up from the resorts - really liked how more so than ever they had the floor space allocated almost with each New England State having its own row, or at least decent portion of a row. Also the largest contingent of Western Resorts that I remember in the now 4yrs I've gone.

Deal wise, well it was nice when my friends who were working at the Mount Snow, Swix and Atomic booths hook my kids up with some nice schwag! Bought a cool combo bottle opener with a bottle cap collector container from the nice folks at Ski Chair.com and also a cool looking retro style Schlitz cycling jersey :beer: as well as a stylish, techy, pocket ladened Völkl coat for me and a Burton coat for my daughter. A good show, although in the big scheme of things I think my kids might of enjoyed our lunch down in Hingham at Wahlburgers before we took the T into the Seaport World Trade Center for the expo :rolleyes:

dlague

you should partner with Sugarloaf and promote the AZ summit.

Got a t-shirt from Sugarloaf when I mentioned that I was going there for the AZ Summit.

My wife and I helped The Ride and Ski Card folks on Saturday and Sunday. While we did not actively walk the show, we did walk around and visit a few places with a more targeted approach. We talked the Q Burke and expressed our dislike for the Q. While they did not express dislike - you could tell that their hands were tied. I also had to go to the Killington Booth on Saturday and ask if they were open T2B yet. :beer:

Wildcats Booth was busy - Vertical Value Card was $50 (normally $89) and they threw in free day with first time use. Bolton Valley was doing a three pack for $89. Pats Peak had a 2 pack for $64. There were plenty of others like this.

Jay Peak like Sugarloaf and Sunday River was down to business - trying to book as many stays as possible. They told me that they had a good show!

We got 3 Burke, 2 Saddleback and a Shawnee Peak comp, several free T shirts, Ski the East donated a movie for my son's care package (serving in Afghanistan), purchased some deals and picked up a pair of his and hers Dynstar Chams (97 and 87 respectively) won at a silent action.

What I did not like about the show - $7 beer, booths that have nothing to do with skiing or snowboarding. The floor layout was a little weird. Booths that have games only at specific times. Let me spin the damn wheel while I walk by! And Crotched's dart board is getting old!

Last edited:

SkiFanE

Usually go but didn't this year. Was on the fence, but the $ for parking and the ticket (or cab to/from my Boston office) made it expensive for free posters and stickers. Since we get passes and don't ski around too much - there's really nothing in the ski show but the vibe. If it was a $5-10 evening I would have, but would have ended up being $30-45 (depending on parking) for just me.

dlague

Usually go but didn't this year. Was on the fence, but the $ for parking and the ticket (or cab to/from my Boston office) made it expensive for free posters and stickers. Since we get passes and don't ski around too much - there's really nothing in the ski show but the vibe. If it was a $5-10 evening I would have, but would have ended up being $30-45 (depending on parking) for just me.

Yup parking is an issue for sure! At least when it was at the Bayside the parking was a cheaper.

deadheadskier

Staff member

SkiFanE

http://www.atlanticwharfboston.com/awb/parking.html

$10 on weekends. Short walk to the show.

And if you're only planning on going for a couple of hours, it's usually really easy to find on-street parking in that neighborhood during the day time.

I'm busy skiing weekends - it would have been TH eve. Yeah..you been down there on a TH eve to find a meter parking? Good luck to you! I was thinking of trying...but didn't think it was worth the aggravation at rush hour.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That same garage is $10 after 5PM.

Like I said, during the day time, it's very easy to find metered parking in the neighborhood. I always find spots on Seaport BLVD.

Can't blame you for not wanting to head into the city that time of day though.

SkiFanE

That same garage is $10 after 5PM.

Like I said, during the day time, it's very easy to find metered parking in the neighborhood. I always find spots on Seaport BLVD.

Can't blame you for not wanting to head into the city that time of day though.

I work in the city - so getting there was not a problem - driving around and not finding a meter, then having to leave wouldn't have been fun. I blow out of city by 4pm to beat the traffic - so that day at 3:30 it was get home at a decent time, or drive around and luck out, or pay good $ (before 5pm) for parking. Considered walking there...but getting mugged and raped and all that is sorta a risk I wasn't up for lol (I don't work in a nice part of town).

crank

We were there Sunday around 11ish. Total serendipity - My girlfriend and I were picking up her new mountain bike she had bought online from Wheelworks just outside of town, so she booked a room in Boston Saturday night with Marriot Points. From our window at the Renaissance we saw people walking down the street by the fish pier carrying skis. We then went online and discovered our room had a view of the ski and snowboard show.

I haven't been to one of those in a long long time so we had fun. Almost and should have gotten the Stowe ticket. Bonus for us it that we are leading our ski club's Telluride trip and we spent a good 15 minutes with their group sales manager at his booth. He gave us a bunch of swag for our members and we made a connection for mountain tours, our group dinner, etc. We left the show and had lunch as No Name seafood - great clam roll!

We also stopped by the Boston Urban Adventures booth and got a map of Boston's bike lanes then went for a nice ride along the harbor and the Charles. All in all we had a really fun Boston weekend.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Gotcha

Well, as long as your down there before 5 and restaurant happy hours start humming, it is really easy to find parking on the streets. I used to park down there a couple days of week for my old job when I had a bunch of customers in that part of town. If I had an appointment in the financial district, it was easier just to park there and walk over than to try and find on street in the FD.

Anyways, mainly just pointing out cheap parking options in the city to some folks coming from out of town like dlague who might not be aware of the options. :)

JonD

I went on Saturday afternoon and had a decent time. It was pretty crowded, turnout was solid. I ended up walking out with a new pair of skis(Blizzard Brahmas) from the East Coast Alpine sale, some merch from ski the east, the ride and ski ne card, and a few lift ticket deals. There were some good deals to be had if you walked around and compared prices.

SkiFanE

Gotcha

Well, as long as your down there before 5 and restaurant happy hours start humming, it is really easy to find parking on the streets. I used to park down there a couple days of week for my old job when I had a bunch of customers in that part of town. If I had an appointment in the financial district, it was easier just to park there and walk over than to try and find on street in the FD.

Anyways, mainly just pointing out cheap parking options in the city to some folks coming from out of town like dlague who might not be aware of the options. :)

I have the pleasure of paying $250/mo for paying to park at work...so I'm all parked out weekdays lol. That part of town is fun.

VTKilarney

I have the pleasure of paying $250/mo for paying to park at work...so I'm all parked out weekdays lol. That part of town is fun.
Dang! I have always assumed that employers cover the cost of parking for their employees.