• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I91 and heroine addiction

MadMadWorld

I saw that Bourdain show it was eye opening.

Dr's were told that opiates like Oxy were not habit forming (by the drug makers of course), as result they handed them out like candy. Now you see "regular" people who can no longer get their Oxy prescriptions filled turning to heroin. Crazy.

How does anyone with a reasonable education not recognize that an Opiate is extremely addictive? Did they think it would be like poppy seed bagels? WTF

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

Doctors knew it was addictive and if they didn't they have no business having a medical license let alone one that allows them to prescribe scheduled II narcotics. What wasn't in place (up until about 7 years ago) was a national database that kept track of prescriptions written by doctors. They used to rely on local law enforcement and pharmacies to file complaints against doctors. Nowadays there is a lot more legislation in place to prevent doctors from doing these kinds of things.

bigbog

I saw that Bourdain show it was eye opening.

Dr's were told that opiates like Oxy were not habit forming (by the drug makers of course), as result they handed them out like candy. Now you see "regular" people who can no longer get their Oxy prescriptions filled turning to heroin. Crazy.

Once they feed their addictions on a regular basis...it really doesn't matter what the substance is....many things seem to HIT on the addict's brain once the substance-loop has starts.. As it goes on..the stronger/more-potent Hit..the better.. Lots of towns/cities with small law enforcement budgets = safer territory to do business.
$.01...

Geoff

I agree pot enhances outdoor experiences. The sun is brighter, you can hear the birds and notice things you normally wouldn't. It just gives you more pleasure being outdoor. When I was younger I went through a couple of heavy use periods and I'll go a step further: not only is pot not addictive, but you feel better when you stop. So I'd say it's the opposite of addictive. It can be habit forming, but that is a different subject. The bottom line, no one will ever rob a store to get their next joint.

There is plenty of data out there about cognitive dysfunction associated with long-term or heavy cannabis use. Look at what it's done to Scotty's spelling and grammar. :)

Back in the 1970's when I was in college and nobody cared, I used to buy pounds, sell ounces, and smoke the rest with my friends. I had enough self-discipline that I could leave the pot and the keg alone when I had exams or homework to deal with. 2 or 3 years into an engineering degree, the work load increased to the point where getting buzzed was weekends-only. That wasn't the experience of most of my pot-smoking and hard-drinking college friends who mostly flunked out eventually. The older I got, the harder it was for me to metabolize it and a few tokes would turn me into a vegetable instead of being something that enhanced my day. The last time I bought pot was Amsterdam almost 20 years ago. It's been maybe 4 years since I was last coerced into getting stoned while spring tailgating in the ski area parking lot.

I'd have no problem at all legalizing pot nationally but you're kidding yourself by trying to claim that it's totally harmless. It might not particularly impact your life but it's kryptonite for an already demotivated teen or 20-something. I'm starting to sound like Dean Wormer lecturing Flounder in Animal House.

I never know if I'm going to have a change in work circumstances where I have a new employer who makes me pee in a cup. Since it takes a long time to purge a fat-soluble drug from your system, I have no interest in risking my income stream. If it were legal, I have a great ginger snap recipe and I'd try to work out a dosage that enhances things instead of shutting me down.

AdironRider

There is plenty of data out there about cognitive dysfunction associated with long-term or heavy cannabis use. Look at what it's done to Scotty's spelling and grammar. :)

Back in the 1970's when I was in college and nobody cared, I used to buy pounds, sell ounces, and smoke the rest with my friends. I had enough self-discipline that I could leave the pot and the keg alone when I had exams or homework to deal with. 2 or 3 years into an engineering degree, the work load increased to the point where getting buzzed was weekends-only. That wasn't the experience of most of my pot-smoking and hard-drinking college friends who mostly flunked out eventually. The older I got, the harder it was for me to metabolize it and a few tokes would turn me into a vegetable instead of being something that enhanced my day. The last time I bought pot was Amsterdam almost 20 years ago. It's been maybe 4 years since I was last coerced into getting stoned while spring tailgating in the ski area parking lot.

I'd have no problem at all legalizing pot nationally but you're kidding yourself by trying to claim that it's totally harmless. It might not particularly impact your life but it's kryptonite for an already demotivated teen or 20-something. I'm starting to sound like Dean Wormer lecturing Flounder in Animal House.

I never know if I'm going to have a change in work circumstances where I have a new employer who makes me pee in a cup. Since it takes a long time to purge a fat-soluble drug from your system, I have no interest in risking my income stream. If it were legal, I have a great ginger snap recipe and I'd try to work out a dosage that enhances things instead of shutting me down.
\

Well this sounds like one big stereotype.

Having lived in Jackson with a solid enough title that NYC folks actually talk to me like an equal, its amazing to me how many high functioning adults still smoke weed. Don't get me wrong, they aren't smoking doobs just to start the day, but here and there with no issues. We are talking CEO's, VP's, the whole nine yards. I fall into this camp (minus the paycheck!) and have no ill effects.

Weed is not a problem at all. Addiction and those who struggle with it will find their vice, whether it be weed, booze, or pills, and it will bring them down. Stoners are no different than alcoholics, although a lot less violent, still very unmotivated unless there is a chance to get high at the end of it.

AdironRider

I'm starting to sound like Dean Wormer lecturing Flounder in Animal House.

What, smoke too much dope in your life so you only read and comprehended the first sentence?

Hey man you said it yourself, right after stereotyping that almost all stoners flunk out.

Do you disagree that its the person and not the drug moreso than the drug and not the person?

ScottySkis

My spelling is bad because I have certain disability. Half the time I know when the sleeping is incorrect but leave because it Scotty language lol. I never been and never will be a good at sleeping. I learned that in highschool way before I ever did cannabis at age 20 . up I never did it high school what a shock. I know plenty of people also who are part of 1% who use the herb there the ones voting for legalize . True though it definitely not everyone. I really haven't been using it to much lately but that for other reason I don't want out here.

skiNEwhere

Anything can be addictive. Hell, even skiing can be addictive. I'd venture to guess than the majority of AZ'ers significant others say they are addicted to skiing in one form another, from the benign, to where it adversely affects their relationship.