• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I91 and heroine addiction

gladerider

What? Its a big problem here. Thank god my kids avoided it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

i don't know about your neighborhood, but definitely not here. are you saying that you have people lining up outside the meth clinic near you? in fact, i just googled. the nearest meth clinic from me is newark. but that is expected.

twinplanx

i don't know about your neighborhood, but definitely not here. are you saying that you have people lining up outside the meth clinic near you? in fact, i just googled. the nearest meth clinic from me is newark. but that is expected.

NIMBYism at its finest. You think you need a Methadone clinic in your neighbourhood to have a drug problem? This shit is everywhere. P.S. Methadone is NOT the stuff Bryan Cranston made on Breaking Bad...

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

drjeff

How does anyone with a reasonable education not recognize that an Opiate is extremely addictive? Did they think it would be like poppy seed bagels? WTF

Because unfortunately for many the neuro chemicals released in the brain when the opiate binds to the neuro receptors is damn powerful, pleasurable stuff. And like it or not, in this culture of blame everyone else for anything that cuts into one narcissistic infallible view so many wrongfully have of themselves rather than come to grips with one's own "average" self, they turn to an "escape" from reality rather than actually confront reality.

The things I have heard patients say and do to try and get a "legal" high via a written prescription for a narcotic pain reliever over the years is scary! It just goes to show the power of addiction and why people need not just focus on the "high horsepower" drugs, but put more effort into stopping things at the "entry" level drug

drjeff

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ti-psychotic-is-worth-6-9-billion-a-year.html

You see shit like this, too, and you have to wonder- how much is the doc's responsibility, how much is our society?

There's a bunch that is societal - the pressure to find something "wrong" with someone and then "fix" it, when often there isn't a magical pill that can do that, and its just the patient needing to come to grips that they're just "normal" and not "exceptional" and that that's 100% fine, that's overwhelming to grasp in this "everyone gets a trophy" modern era.

snoseek

It's not just docs....

Knew a guy every Friday picked up 500 oxy's @ 5 dollars a piece and immediately sold them @ 10 a piece...all in under 2 hours. Where is it getting supplied from is my question? That's a lot of pills and it was like clockwork.

Any yes he was a deplorable shitbag...

deadheadskier

Staff member
I saw that Bourdain show it was eye opening.

Dr's were told that opiates like Oxy were not habit forming (by the drug makers of course), as result they handed them out like candy. Now you see "regular" people who can no longer get their Oxy prescriptions filled turning to heroin. Crazy.

How does anyone with a reasonable education not recognize that an Opiate is extremely addictive? Did they think it would be like poppy seed bagels? WTF

Because unfortunately for many the neuro chemicals released in the brain when the opiate binds to the neuro receptors is damn powerful, pleasurable stuff. And like it or not, in this culture of blame everyone else for anything that cuts into one narcissistic infallible view so many wrongfully have of themselves rather than come to grips with one's own "average" self, they turn to an "escape" from reality rather than actually confront reality.

The things I have heard patients say and do to try and get a "legal" high via a written prescription for a narcotic pain reliever over the years is scary! It just goes to show the power of addiction and why people need not just focus on the "high horsepower" drugs, but put more effort into stopping things at the "entry" level drug

Doc, I'm pretty sure twinplanx wasn't talking about those who abuse the pain killers, but rather being critical of the doctors buying what the pharma companies were selling them and not doing their own research into the dangers of prescribing opiate based pain killers.

deadheadskier

Staff member

A friend of mine in NJ just posted this on Facebook. Massive heroin bust today in NJ.

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2...e_prosecutor_says.html#incart_related_stories

I'm not sure how near that is to you, but the distribution was across at least five counties of NJ and likely beyond.

skiNEwhere

Customs is catching more these days, but is it a result of more enforcement and better technology, or more traffic across the border? Interviews with top officials unfortunately point to the latter.

This seems to be a the #1 problem in rural communities, what is the trigger to start using? Curiousty? Boredom?

gladerider

Thanks for the link dhs. That's only a few towns over from me. Not as bad as Newark but those towns got some rough sections. But damn I didn't know how bad this problem was. Like I said I feel like I've been under a rock.

Geoff

How does anyone with a reasonable education not recognize that an Opiate is extremely addictive?

If you grow up working class, get C's in school, and spend your time getting stoned and drunk with your friends, the future as a store clerk or on the fast food line looks pretty bleak. When somebody says, "here, try this", you do. Somebody who can't find France on a world map is not going to be making particularly rational decisions about drug use. After you've blown through your parents stash in the medicine cabinet and raided grandma's stash, you're hooked and there's no turning back. The FEDs crack down on easy Rx so you have no choice but to switch over to heroin since it's the cheap and accessible option. To feed your addiction, you break into houses and steal things you can quickly sell to feed your addiction.

The other path is rational adults who are given an Rx for pain management. After a few weeks of it, they're hooked. There is a long list of celebrities who have been addicted to opiates. For every one of those, there are thousands of normal people who fell into the same hole.

twinplanx

Doc, I'm pretty sure twinplanx wasn't talking about those who abuse the pain killers, but rather being critical of the doctors buying what the pharma companies were selling them and not doing their own research into the dangers of prescribing opiate based pain killers.

Yes. DHS gets it...

Edd

But damn I didn't know how bad this problem was. Like I said I feel like I've been under a rock.

I'm like you. I just don't see it but people say it's right around me. My head is up my ass, I guess.

The lady and I are a childless couple and planned it that way. I think that helps to make us sort of clueless as we're not constantly scanning for threats to our kids. I feel like being a parent makes you so much more aware of the environment around you. We live in kind of a bubble. I should do something about that. Volunteer, perhaps.

gladerider

I see your excuse. But I have two teenagers. They tell me that there are kids in their school who do drugs but only a small number.

Customs is catching more these days, but is it a result of more enforcement and better technology, or more traffic across the border? Interviews with top officials unfortunately point to the latter.

This seems to be a the #1 problem in rural communities, what is the trigger to start using? Curiousty? Boredom?

i think boredom has a lot to do with it...an idle mind and idle hands is the devil's workshop

MadMadWorld

Recently a doctor in MA was arrested for Medicare fraud but that is really the tip of the iceberg. I think 4 or 5 of his patients died of overdose in the past 12 months before he was arrested and lost his license. It's been an interesting investigation to watch at work. Unfortunately I am not involved in putting this shit head away

bigbog

........Dr's were told that opiates like Oxy were not habit forming (by the drug makers of course), as result they handed them out like candy. Now you see "regular" people who can no longer get their Oxy prescriptions filled turning to heroin. Crazy.
and we who live easier with antihistamines and decongestants in a pill have to sign little forms, and are tracked daily.... The 1960s....those were the days of true freedom, but...didn't have the antihistamines and decongestants..LOL.
So much overprescribing in Maine....anything and everything.....instead of working out life's quizzes.

Last edited:

snoseek

and we who live easier with antihistamines and decongestants in a pill have to sign little forms, and are tracked daily.... The 1960s....those were the days of true freedom, but...didn't have the antihistamines and decongestants..LOL.
So much overprescribing in Maine....anything and everything.....instead of working out life's quizzes.

Main reason for that is it goes into meth production...and while not a bad problem in NE, its just awful in other places. You definitely don't want to live amongst tweakers, they are a special kind of crazy.

nick danger

i think boredom has a lot to do with it...an idle mind and idle hands is the devil's workshop

Boredom for sure, but also depression and despair. Caused by any number of clearly significant or even not-so-clearly significant events: losing a loved one, losing a job, losing a pet, not being content (or worse) with the way your life turned out, being disgusted with US politics, worrying about global issues such as climate change, disease epidemics, insanity in the Middle East, Russia and elsewhere, etc, etc. Escape with alcohol and/or opiates the only solution for many people.

I feel fortunate I can escape by enjoying the outdoors, whether skiing, cycling, running, hiking, etc. many of which I do while smoking weed. Weed being neither an escape nor addictive. While the high can enhance then outdoors experience, it can also in some people, enhance feelings of paranoia, thereby making the bad seem worse, so no escape there. No evidence of physical addiction, no withdrawal after quitting cold turkey. You can't say that about nicotine, or even caffein. Don't want to start a pro weed rant in this thread, just to distinguish it from the truly dangerous and addictive ones, including tobacco and alcohol.

freeski

I agree pot enhances outdoor experiences. The sun is brighter, you can hear the birds and notice things you normally wouldn't. It just gives you more pleasure being outdoor. When I was younger I went through a couple of heavy use periods and I'll go a step further: not only is pot not addictive, but you feel better when you stop. So I'd say it's the opposite of addictive. It can be habit forming, but that is a different subject. The bottom line, no one will ever rob a store to get their next joint.