• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Goggle's for a sweaty SOB

murff81

I tend to sweat quite a bit when skiing and need to buy new goggles, so I have been researching and was hoping I could some input from you guys/gals.

Zeal Level goggle
http://www.backcountry.com/zeal-le...GV2ZWwgZ29nZ2xl&skid=ZEL0118-MARDWAMI-ONESIZ

Smith IOX Elite turbo fan
http://www.backcountry.com/smith-i...lIHR1cmJvIGZhbg&skid=SMI0910-BLARDSEN-ONESIZ

These are just a couple that I was looking at. I found the Smiths for about $200 and come with both a daytime and night lens. For the Zeal I would pick up a second lens for night skiing. Would prefer to have both a daytime and night time lens. I would like to keep it around $200. Thx in advance

Puck it

Use winter20 to get 20% off at backcountry. Try levelninesports. And even Ebay.

I like dragons. I just got a pair of X2's on eBay with two lenses for $140.

Hawkshot99

Normaly I do not have fogging problems. But on warm powder days when working hard I pull out a pair of Smith Phenom Turbos (fan). They NEVER fog up on me.
I would think the I/O X Turbo would be he way you want to go for no fog and easy change. Yes you can change lenses in the zeal but the Smih is so easy.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Holy Crap! $275 for goggles? I had no idea they made such expensive skiing eye wear. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given what people pay for high end sunglasses.

I guess I'm just not that guy. I don't think I've ever spent over $75 for goggles and my sunglasses tend to be of the $20 variety from the gas station. :lol:

Guess I should consider myself lucky I don't have the fogging issues you have OP. Good Luck!

murff81

lol....it can pretty insane for goggles, but the way I look at it , lens are replaceable for about $50, and that isn't bad year to year....I value seeing clearly so much these days and fogging just blows lol and eBay makes prices reasonable

AdironRider

You could probably just save a couple bucks and wear one less layer while skiing.

murff81

Fogging is usually caused by operator error.
Well, not always.....every brand, model, and make has some type of anti fogging coating, but you are correct in that depending on where your hat and or neck warmer placement is can greatly effect fogging. Sweating can certainly effect goggle performance as well...

As for layers I don't really wear any layers to take off, already at the minimum (I run pretty hot, wife says it's because I'm Spanish and Italian). I guess I could shave my beard and fro but what's the fun in that....no excuse to buy new goggles.

After looking into the Dragon's X2 they have definitely become a more appealing option...price and features is excellent.

Cannonball

Figure out your goggle-to-helmet fit more than anything. If you can get a nice fit, with compatible venting in both pieces you'll be loving life.

Also you mentioned "neck warmer". Probably the number one culprit in foggy goggles.

murff81

Currently don't have a helmet, however the wife said that will be a Christmas gift (she definitely not into skiing, says it's too dangerous)

I was looking at Pret helmets

bvibert

Staff member
If you're getting a helmet I'd get it first before buying the goggles, not all goggles and helmets play nice together.

C-Rex

I had a pair of Dragon Mace's that were excellent in the fog department. The breathed so well that a good headwind would make my forehead cold where it blew through the vents.

I'm also a sweaty mofo and I've been keeping a piece of an Absorber (a chamois-type thing for drying cars and whatnot) in a pocket where it won't freeze. Once you get a certain level of moisture in your googles it can be a bitch to dry them with anything other than a hand dryer in the lodge bathroom. The absorber sucks it right up and leaves them nice and clean. Won't scratch your lenses either.

murff81

Well, I may have done things out of order.....after looking into the Dragon's I decided on the X2s, Jamie Lynn version with blue steel lens+yellow blue ion. $150 on eBay and will be here monday. My local ski shop has a limited selection of helmets and the helmet that I want (Pret) isn't really carried by anyone locally. May just have to bit the bullet and hope it's compatible, can always return it if it's a bad fit.

Hawkshot99

Well, I may have done things out of order.....after looking into the Dragon's I decided on the X2s, Jamie Lynn version with blue steel lens+yellow blue ion. $150 on eBay and will be here monday. My local ski shop has a limited selection of helmets and the helmet that I want (Pret) isn't really carried by anyone locally. May just have to bit the bullet and hope it's compatible, can always return it if it's a bad fit.

Why do you want a Pret? Ever try one on? They are decent helmets, small over all size and a nice magnet chin strap on some of there models. I have tried them all on, with many pairs of goggles and just can't find something to make me happy.

dlague

Holy Crap! $275 for goggles? I had no idea they made such expensive skiing eye wear. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given what people pay for high end sunglasses.

I guess I'm just not that guy. I don't think I've ever spent over $75 for goggles and my sunglasses tend to be of the $20 variety from the gas station. :lol:

Guess I should consider myself lucky I don't have the fogging issues you have OP. Good Luck!

+1

murff81

Not 100% sold on Pret, I like the ventilation system, weight, that custom fit knob thing and the magnetic strap. evo has them on sale now, the Effect is $87 and Cynic is $51, pretty good price for what you get. I also like the way it looks...

My only experience with a helmet is my Giro mountain biking helmet....

I do plan on waiting till my goggles come in and will take them to my local shop and see what is most compatible, but most of the helmets I have seen at my local shop don't look very good....the deal on evo was the main reason for me saying 'I would bit the bullet and just buy them'