• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Progress report

BeefyBoy50

I don't generally pay attention to early season snowfall because it only hurts more to think about skiing when I know I won't get to go until winter break, so I'm wondering,

Is this winter getting off to a slow start or is this typical? Both for the east and for the rest of the country.
The temps have been quite cold in PA this past week and I'm sure some people are already praying for the warmer temps to come back- but I hope it's just getting started.
I've never skied two weeks or greater before christmas, and I doubt any snowfall now will make an effect on conditions when I get out, but I do have a sneaking suspicion that we are a bit behind schedule.
Hans

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I can only remember skiing once around thanksgiving in Pa and it was in 1970's
Last year didn't get out early but it was there.
Average temps this time of year is still in 50's

Took a drive past Bear Creek yesterday and no Snow making activity.
If they open anything before the 1st week of December that's a good start.

4aprice

There will be skiing Thanksgiving weekend in the Pocono's. Its happened before. Camelback has made some snow and will really start pumping it out when the cold comes after this rain. I would say for the east we are slightly ahead of schedule, while out west may be slightly behind.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Edd

Feels average to me. There's snow on the ground at a house my family owns in Durham, Maine. As of yesterday, anyway.

bigbog

Feels average to me. There's snow on the ground at a house my family owns in Durham, Maine. As of yesterday, anyway.

+1
May be a little cooler up here(Bangor)...but needed(moose ticks...etc). Seems about the same...maybe a little cooler...than mid-late 60s-early 70s (NE of Albany, NY).

Last edited:

Tin

It was just a bit warmer than last year's October so the guns started up a little later. Nothing a standard deviation or more away from the mean imo.

Savemeasammy

My wife's first teaching job was at the middle school in Durham, Me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

Is this winter getting off to a slow start or is this typical?

Slow? This is better than average for sure.

Like last year, the Poconos might be decent by mid-December if this cold holds. All it will take is a little Mother Nature help on top of these great snow-making temps.

VTKilarney

The nights were not cold for quite a while - but now things are right where they should be. All in all, I think this is setting up nicely for a great early season - but things can change...

catsup948

Berkshire East may open first weekend of December if not earlier. This is huge as they always struggled to open before Christmas in the past.

skiMEbike

but then the warm up comes Sunday into next week

Got to love spring skiing in November....

I would say for this time of year we are WAY ahaead of the game. The River is looking like they should have most of Locke open, Spruce turning & possibly SRidge by the weekend, however for them that has almost become "expected". The Loaf is way ahead of the game with Gondi, Kings, Hayburner, & Tote expected for the weekend...They have taken a different approach with snowmaking priorities this year going for Gondi ahead of Guage & Sluice (which gets my approval). For comparisons, last year at the Loaf we were only skiing 1/2 of Kings Landing & Tote on Dec 1st. Hopefully the early season push brings a boost in tickets over the Thanksgiving holiday...I for one am thankful for Boyne's commitment to the early season snow !!