• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo 11-16-14

HD333

Opening day for Okemo.

2 ways down, World Cup and Sapphire, both had great coverage.

To get to the top from the base you had to take magic carpet to Sachem to Glades Peak Quad. From there they had Buckhorn open to World Cup or Sapphire.

World Cup dumped you back to Glades Peak, Sapphire dumped you at the Green Ridge Triple.

Went in with low expectations just wanting to get a few runs in. Snow was actually pretty nice on Sapphire, World Cup was OK kind of bullet proof machine pp.

They have a ways to go but it was nice to get out before Thanksgiving.

xwhaler

Nice....would think they should expand quite a bit this week in anticipation of the wknd. I'll be up there making turns next Sunday.
With the new lift not ready yet I wonder if they may be more aggressive than usual in getting Solitude pod open to give a HSQ option.

xwhaler

As I expected, looks like snowmaking will be getting going over on the Solitude pod. Would be nice to get an HSQ for this wknd.

6:48AM Tuesday, November 18, 2014Good morning skiers and riders! After a little bit of warmer weather, Ma Nature is back on track with some wintry temperatures. That means that snowmaking is also back on track! The snowmaking team will be moving pipes and hoses over to the Solitude area this morning and will turn the guns on this afternoon, just as soon as everything is in place and ready to go.

xwhaler

Okemo expected to have 20 trails and 6 lifts going this wknd. They blew snow over at Solitude last night so that will be coming on line.
Would it be a shock to say that much maligned Okemo may have some of the best early season offerings this wknd in the East?

Savemeasammy

Okemo expected to have 20 trails and 6 lifts going this wknd. They blew snow over at Solitude last night so that will be coming on line.
Would it be a shock to say that much maligned Okemo may have some of the best early season offerings this wknd in the East?

I wonder how many "runs" it is, though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xwhaler

I wonder how many "runs" it is, though?

Probably 8-10 unique runs if I had to guess w/o looking at trail map and snowmaking plan....I'm no Okemo fanboy but have a family place up there I can stay at and have always been impressed with how quickly they add terrain early season.
The $35 Sunday Solution 8-1 ticket with NH/VT ID makes it a nice value for me.

buellski

I'll be there with my wife and son Saturday. We'll get our first turns of the season in and hit the swap as well. They've had great conditions the last two seasons for mid-November. Given the temps this week, I'm expecting the same on Saturday.

spiderpig

They opened Lower Arrow down to the bottom on Sunday, as well, when the Green Ridge chair was down for maintenance. Don't think they were necessarily planning on that, but it had already been groomed.

Solitude seems to be opening at the normal time. The only thing different this year is opening Nor'Easter instead of Countdown-Sprint-Rimrock.

Depends on how you count unique runs based on what lift you want to stop at, but I would call it 7: World Cup, Nor'Easter, Sapphire, Jolly Green Giant, Heaven's Gate, Defiance, Lower Arrow-Village Run for this weekend.

Last edited:

Savemeasammy

Probably 8-10 unique runs if I had to guess w/o looking at trail map and snowmaking plan....I'm no Okemo fanboy but have a family place up there I can stay at and have always been impressed with how quickly they add terrain early season.
The $35 Sunday Solution 8-1 ticket with NH/VT ID makes it a nice value for me.

Agreed. $31 isn't a bad deal.