• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How cheap can you ski?

Smellytele

If skiing became work than I would probably hate it like I do all other forms of work. When I am made to do something it becomes less fun than if I just do it because I want to.

BenedictGomez

I always looked at that as part of your compensation. Working at a ski area just for the pass never made much sense to me. If you enjoy the work, that's a different story. But it seems to me there are quicker ways to make money on the side to pay for a ski pass.

Depends on the area/price. I worked 1 day per week at Stowe for 6 years for the free ski pass, which then cost $1,000 or so.

At that time, $1000 seemed like all the money in the world to me (note for contemporary comparison: due to the destruction of the USD, $1,000 in 1999/2000 was worth $1,400 in today's money). Earning that much in after-tax money would have taken me a LONG time, and been better used for other things. And "working" at a mountain wasn't bad at all and wasnt all "work" IMO. If the snow was good I'd quit a bit early and take the skis out of the truck and ski from 2:30 - 4.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
If skiing became work than I would probably hate it like I do all other forms of work. When I am made to do something it becomes less fun than if I just do it because I want to.
There is another side to it, that is no longer operative now that I am retired. So many potential skiing days during my working years, I was incredibly busy - and if I didn't have the commitment to the Ski School, I might have blown off some of those days!

rocojerry

WAY less. Or are you including food and gas too? Lodging?

If you're talking just lift ticket price, $40 is barely a SOTC gentleman's passing C grade.

I'm not as cheap as i once was, and don't get out as many weekdays solo... for sake of this thread, lets keep gas, food and of course beer out of the calculations...

Right now I'm at ~$550 per day for this season. Hoping to get that down a bit to ~$15/day.
Nice. It is a nice feeling with a pass that the more you ski, the cheaper it gets... especially once you cross the per day ticket line, or the half-price day ticket line!

Nick, how bout two awards at the summit? Cheapest ski'er on a seasons pass and cheapest ski'er without one? :)