• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How cheap can you ski?

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

If I really sat down and think of it my head would explode - I also have 3 kids and a wife I am paying for as well.

Kids would bring my average cost per lift ticket way down, bsaed on them skiing free at Shawnee and having a lot of vouchers I got with their season rentals that give them free lift tix other places. Include kids' tix and I will do better than $10 per lift ticket :)

bigbog

Well, if you are over 65 and can produce a NH driver's license, Cannon is free. Even better than $6 a day - although at $0.55 per mile driving expense, the day still costs me almost $100.

As perverted as it seems...those are days I do, in a strange way, look forward to....along with planning to continue to work. Paraphrasing Warren Miller's exact line(forgot the exact line..that I like(d))..but it had to do with age is just a number..you are = what you do... Sugarloaf will be a freebee as well...

dlague

Six bucks?!!! Damn! I'd consider going to get my MBA if I could get that deal. Especially at Cannon.

State Owned School, State owned ski area! I am a NH Veteran and have a season pass for $273 at Cannon with no blackouts!

dlague

I suppose if you consider the cost of skiing to be the price of the lift ticket, you can come up with some pretty impressively low numbers. But the lift ticket is a relatively small part of the cost.

Other direct costs -
- A car costs about $0.55 per mile to operate;
- Equipment/Clothing wear-and-tear
- Lodging costs: m/hotels or ownership or rental of a condo for the season
- etc.

While my lift ticket cost for 132 days last season came to about $3.25 per visit when I add in the cost of my condo, the driving, the equipment replacement, h/motel when I am not at my home area, the cost of lift tickets is about 5% of my cost to ski.

Equipment and Clothing are not annual expenses and often a spread out over several years. Lodging - we day trip it and rarely stay somewhere for a weekend (twice last year and one was free and the second - we stayed at a friends condo and paid low dollars).

Car cost seems high. I know that is the governments reimbursement rate, but .....

freeski

State Owned School, State owned ski area! I am a NH Veteran and have a season pass for $273 at Cannon with no blackouts!
Yes, this an incredible deal. You spend money at the mountain so they make out there, but NH really treats the skiing veterans well.

Savemeasammy

Let's factor in lost opportunity costs while we're at it, too!

And don't forget to factor in savings on heating fuel. After all, you don't need to heat your house as much while you are out skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Equipment and Clothing are not annual expenses and often a spread out over several years. Lodging - we day trip it and rarely stay somewhere for a weekend (twice last year and one was free and the second - we stayed at a friends condo and paid low dollars).

Car cost seems high. I know that is the governments reimbursement rate, but .....
Equipment and clothing may not be annual costs, but generally, boots are good for about 100 days. For some of us, that's one season. Most seeing clothing and equipment amortize at between $20 and $40 per day.

There are people who fix their own cars who can run a car for less than $0.55 per mile, but for most of us, generally speaking, we are either paying for repairs or for depreciation. (Note how much the car leasing companies charge per mile over the lease cost.)

Smellytele

Equipment and clothing may not be annual costs, but generally, boots are good for about 100 days. For some of us, that's one season. Most seeing clothing and equipment amortize at between $20 and $40 per day.

There are people who fix their own cars who can run a car for less than $0.55 per mile, but for most of us, generally speaking, we are either paying for repairs or for depreciation. (Note how much the car leasing companies charge per mile over the lease cost.)

One of my vehicles has about 250k on it - long past depreciation schedule.
Also only thing i have repaired on it in the last 5 years is 1 set of tires and brakes.

catsup948

The max I'll pay to ski is $35 bucks this weekend at Okemo. Otherwise most of my skiing is paid for. I won't know what I end up with until I'm done using the fox 44 card. Hopefully I come out less than 28 bucks. This doesn't include my employee pass at Berkshire East.

SkiFanE

Kids would bring my average cost per lift ticket way down, bsaed on them skiing free at Shawnee and having a lot of vouchers I got with their season rentals that give them free lift tix other places. Include kids' tix and I will do better than $10 per lift ticket :)

See...kids are the problem (lol). For husband and I to ski as much as we want, we had to get the kids into it. 3 kids...3 extra passes (only free til they are 5/6)...3 ski programs...gear x3... handwarmers/toe warmers...

I will pay $15-16/day with my pass and ~60 days skiing (forget price I paid for pass). But add in the ski house, gas, equipment... it's not cheap in any shape or fashion. Keeps me thankful for my job!

Vortex

The pass is just a cover charge.

See...kids are the problem (lol). For husband and I to ski as much as we want, we had to get the kids into it. 3 kids...3 extra passes (only free til they are 5/6)...3 ski programs...gear x3... handwarmers/toe warmers...

I will pay $15-16/day with my pass and ~60 days skiing (forget price I paid for pass). But add in the ski house, gas, equipment... it's not cheap in any shape or fashion. Keeps me thankful for my job!

mbedle

Will ski around 20 days at the local place under a season pass, at around $22 per day. February up at Stowe and spend about $44-$67 per day skiing there 20 times (have yet to find any better deals). Add the costs of the one month condo rental, food, beer, travel, etc. price goes up to around $180 per day. Not bad for a one month vacation.

dlague

I paid around $120 for ski pants and jacket at a tent sale last summer (2013) and the skis I skied on the last 4 years I won on a $20 raffle during a TGR film four years ago, the bindings were $120 over 4 years, boots I bought were $199 four years ago. This year I paid $500 for new boots, skis, bindings and poles. I get and will get way better than $20-$40 per visit out of my gear. We ski close to 40 times per season and hope to hit 50 this year!

witch hobble

French fries and hot chocolate too

Cornhead

Please, I'm a professional skier, they pay me to ski, OK, it was only $1.25, but a professional nonetheless.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Also only thing i have repaired on it in the last 5 years is 1 set of tires and brakes.

And sometimes, we win the lottery with respect to car repairs! The problem with citing averages is there are people, like you, who do much better than average - and since this appears to have been defined by some as a "cheapskate thread", most of the responders will be among those who beat the averages.

BenedictGomez

That's inspirational. I have 123,000 on my 4x4 Envoy, which I love. It's getting harder and harder to find real SUV trucks, as opposed to Crossovers (i.e. station wagons) built up high on a car chassis. Not to mention, the cost of used SUVs has absolutely skyrocketed. I need to take care of her! Oil change tomorrow.