• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How cheap can you ski?

rocojerry

What is your target $ per day (or year)/ actual $ per day / total days

Basically, who is the cheapest skier on alpinezone, assuming it's someone with a pass to a smaller mtn with a lot of days, but if someone can pull this off by mastering the free/cheap skiing game, props.

I'm guessing 40$ / ? / 10days will be mine, but we will see...

Tin

Last year at Crotched....14 times and the pass cost $299 (might have been 259, don't remember). So $21 per day.

I want to beat that this year with Magic for my $219 pass. MRG/Bush might be harder with the drive.

Last year my GF and I skied over 30 times each (Loaf, Jay, Smuggs, Bush, MRG, K, Magic) and paid about $1200 in lift tickets/passes.

Quietman

Work part time(weekends) at a local area, and ski for free. Positive net impact on the checkbook. :lol:

freeski

I was taking MBA classes at Plymouth State a few years ago and could ski at Cannon for $6 all day any day. Man I miss that. :cry:

snoseek

Work mostly nights, ski most days-free epic pass. May pic up a sierra at Tahoe pass for 250 to supplement. Waiting to see if it dumps until I buy. so for now-0$.

drjeff

Last year, I had my Peak Nor'easter pass down to $23.67 a day for the 46 days I used it a Peak properties (45 times at Mount Snow and 1 time at Crotched) - That's just my per day lift costs. If you factor in gas, lodging, food and beverage, gear, etc, etc, etc, then it's way over $100 per day

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I suppose if you consider the cost of skiing to be the price of the lift ticket, you can come up with some pretty impressively low numbers. But the lift ticket is a relatively small part of the cost.

Other direct costs -
- A car costs about $0.55 per mile to operate;
- Equipment/Clothing wear-and-tear
- Lodging costs: m/hotels or ownership or rental of a condo for the season
- etc.

While my lift ticket cost for 132 days last season came to about $3.25 per visit when I add in the cost of my condo, the driving, the equipment replacement, h/motel when I am not at my home area, the cost of lift tickets is about 5% of my cost to ski.

xwhaler

Typically average between $20-$25 per day in lift tickets over a ~25 day season. Looking to ski 30 days this yr at an average just under $20/day.

4aprice

Too many variables to say right now. I have a pass to the local bump, look for deals whenever possible, other factors such as weather and work schedule play into it. The season to me runs from Nov 15th to April 15 (+ or - a week), got 1 day under my belt already and the home hill looks to be opening early this year. I'll get anywhere from 40 to 60 days if everything falls into place from the Pocono's of Pa. to the Greens, Whites, Dacks, and Catskills, and he best the Wasatch of Utah.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Picking up 2 $55 Pocono Ski and Ride Cards each good for a day at each of 6 mountains (or which I will use at least 4) should keep my average down, even considering the $30 ski club membership I had to buy to get them. Throw in a $30 card for one day at Windham a $50 mountain sports club card good for 2 days at Shawnee, the Hunter big lift card, and an offer I got for a free day at each og Gore and Whiteface and I could well bring this season in at under $25/day for lift tix. I will keep you posted.

C-Rex

I was taking MBA classes at Plymouth State a few years ago and could ski at Cannon for $6 all day any day. Man I miss that. :cry:

Six bucks?!!! Damn! I'd consider going to get my MBA if I could get that deal. Especially at Cannon.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Well, if you are over 65 and can produce a NH driver's license, Cannon is free. Even better than $6 a day - although at $0.55 per mile driving expense, the day still costs me almost $100.

Smellytele

I suppose if you consider the cost of skiing to be the price of the lift ticket, you can come up with some pretty impressively low numbers. But the lift ticket is a relatively small part of the cost.

Other direct costs -
- A car costs about $0.55 per mile to operate;
- Equipment/Clothing wear-and-tear
- Lodging costs: m/hotels or ownership or rental of a condo for the season
- etc.

Well seeing I live 6 miles from my local hill the added cost is low. While on the added day trips I supplement the local hill with are mostly within 1:30. the rest I wouldn't even think about adding unless I was anal which I am not. I would have to own and wear some type of winter clothing anyway.