• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This Weekend - Best Bang For Your Time

reefer

Screw that calculations & what not. Point is $65 is awfully expensive for very limited terrain this early in the season.

I live calculations, and agree with Mr. Kilarney

Mt Snow vs. Okemo using approximate gasoline numbers just to show the theory involved. And there is the factor of more time on the road also.

Mt Snow solo - $65.00 ticket plus $40.00 gas, equals $105.00.
Okemo solo - $49.00 ticket plus $60.00 gas, equals $109.00.
Mt. Snow cheaper and save an hour plus on the roads. Definitely go to Mt. Snow if solo. And I realize it probably isn't $20.00 more for gas in most cases to Okemo, but at best they are even and you save travel time.

Mt Snow with (4) - $65.00 each for lift ticket, $10.00 each for gas, equal $75.00 per person.
Okemo with (4) - $49.00 each for tickets, $15.00 each for gas, equal $64.00 per person. Okemo cheaper for a car load.

That being said, I'm never paying $65.00 for a lift ticket this year.

VTKilarney

Mt Snow vs. Okemo using approximate gasoline numbers just to show the theory involved. And there is the factor of more time on the road also.

Mt. Snow cheaper and save an hour plus on the roads. Definitely go to Mt. Snow if solo. And I realize it probably isn't $20.00 more for gas in most cases to Okemo, but at best they are even and you save travel time.

Mt Snow with (4) - $65.00 each for lift ticket, $10.00 each for gas, equal $75.00 per person.
Okemo with (4) - $49.00 each for tickets, $15.00 each for gas, equal $64.00 per person. Okemo cheaper for a car load.
That was exactly what I was trying to say. You did a much better job of explaining it than I did. The one difference is that I was thinking more about the drive to Killington or Stowe. Okemo is a tougher call, but the time factor can't be discounted for a trip of this short duration.

VTKilarney

The cost of gas is fixed. The car will cost X to drive to mt. Snow wether there is 1 or 4 in the car....

Let X=cost of gas to drive to Mt. Snow.
Let Y = Cost of lift ticket.

If there is one in the car, the cost of the outing is X + Y

If there are 4 people in the car, each person's cost is 1/4X + Y which is less than X+Y.
Your formula shows that it is cheaper for four people to share the cost of driving to Mt. Snow than for one person to make the drive alone. That was assumed. Your formula, however, has nothing to do with my original premise.

drjeff

Your formula shows that it is cheaper for four people to share the cost of driving to Mt. Snow than for one person to make the drive alone. That was assumed. Your formula, however, has nothing to do with my original premise.

Don't go to Mount Snow this weekend! It will make my liftlines longer and my wait for an apres beer longer ;)

farlep99

That being said, I'm never paying $65.00 for a lift ticket this year.

I’m not a geography expert, or a mathematician, but this makes no sense. First, the whole idea of including gas $ depends on your starting point. Let’s just start in Boston. The difference is 7 miles & maybe 10 minutes. Even in a Hummer that’s 1 gallon of gas difference. From NYC? 25-30mi difference depending on route & a 20-30min difference. I don’t really care about any of this, just saying for most people the time/distance between the two isn't that far. I just think $65 for Mt. Snow this early in the year is kind of outrageous. That’s creeping up to Stowe’s uber-ridiculous $72 early season price (without the $5 rfid card). Stowe at least got about 10” of natural the other night (still not worth $72 though!)

dlague

I’m not a geography expert, or a mathematician, but this makes no sense. First, the whole idea of including gas $ depends on your starting point. Let’s just start in Boston. The difference is 7 miles & maybe 10 minutes. Even in a Hummer that’s 1 gallon of gas difference. From NYC? 25-30mi difference depending on route & a 20-30min difference. I don’t really care about any of this, just saying for most people the time/distance between the two isn't that far. I just think $65 for Mt. Snow this early in the year is kind of outrageous. That’s creeping up to Stowe’s uber-ridiculous $72 early season price (without the $5 rfid card). Stowe at least got about 10” of natural the other night (still not worth $72 though!)

+1

VTKilarney

I'm willing to bet that Mt. Snow can lure a lot more day trippers, which may have something to do with their price.

SnowRock

So to close the loop.. Got stuck going back to the office after my 4pm meeting and didn't get on the road till almost 8. Made it to Bennington by 11 and got a room. Got to mt snow by 9:30 but I have the vermont travel club card so paid 38 bucks. Certainly not bad for November... Contemplating heading up to Waterbury soon and doing stowe tomorrow and getting on the road early Sunday by 7am.

SnowRock

Mount Snow came out of left field with some decent acreage/mileage for day 1.

I had a great day there. With the temps and snow quality would easily believed it was late January or feb if it wasn't for the limited number of trails... Which itself wasn't bad at given the equally limited amount of people.