• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anyone looking to get their little one (4-6 years old) on skis for the first time?

WJenness

I just stumbled across this on the Killington site.

Looks like a pretty great deal to get a little one on the hill for the first time:

Four days on the hill for you and the little one, equipment to keep for them, all for $349 (or $399 depending on when you go):

[h=2]MINISTARS 4-DAY DISCOVERY CAMP, STARTING AT $349[/h]
This unique 4-day program is designed specifically for first-time skiers to help them find their legs with help from the specially designed Elan Junior U-Flex learning system. Plus, these skis, bindings and boots are theirs to keep - FREE!

• Available the following time periods for the 2014-15 season:
    • November 28 - December 19, 2014, $349
    • January 4 - February 10, 2015, $399
    • March 1 through early April, excluding Saturdays, $399
  • Includes four consecutive full-days of ski lessons, learning area lift ticket, equipment and lunch daily.
  • Receive a FREE 4-day Adult Lift Ticket to be used each day in conjunction with the program.
  • The brand new Elan U-Flex ski system and boots are yours to keep - FREE!
Space is limited, so book early.

More info: http://www.killington.com/site/lessons/childrens_programs/ministars

spiderpig

Wow. What's the catch? And at 6 or younger, there's little or no issue of taking them out of school for two days (since this obviously and smartly doesn't cover holiday periods). Just the tickets for the adult cost almost that much!

skifree

idk. lift tix are usually free for that age group and ski equipment is usually free from friends and family for said age group. my kids HATED!!! ski school.

I would opt to just take the young ones out . it sucks for the adult. but that's what we do. I did that with my 2 kids and they rip now.

mriceyman

Wow. What's the catch? And at 6 or younger, there's little or no issue of taking them out of school for two days (since this obviously and smartly doesn't cover holiday periods). Just the tickets for the adult cost almost that much!

The catch is to get you in on and around the mountain for 4 days when you might not have been there. I believe they also want to have the kid say i learned at killington and therefore be more likely to return. Smart to get new kids in the sport at a good discount for the parent. I can check this deal out in a couple years as my kid is only 8 mnths now

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

SkiFanE

The catch is to get you in on and around the mountain for 4 days when you might not have been there. I believe they also want to have the kid say i learned at killington and therefore be more likely to return. Smart to get new kids in the sport at a good discount for the parent. I can check this deal out in a couple years as my kid is only 8 mnths now

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Yeah...but I couldn't imagine giving up the experience of getting my kids on skis for any amount of $ or deal. They all learned their first 4-5 days with us, then we did lessons or programs after that. But honestly, those days were so precious to me, I don't understand why anyone would outsource that.

skifree

yup! still remember my 4 yr old straight lining the bunny hill. pure terror

VTKilarney

Some parents make great teachers, but others do not. For those that aren't, this package makes a lot of sense.

dlague

Yeah...but I couldn't imagine giving up the experience of getting my kids on skis for any amount of $ or deal. They all learned their first 4-5 days with us, then we did lessons or programs after that. But honestly, those days were so precious to me, I don't understand why anyone would outsource that.

It is not 4 consecutive days so you can ski with then in between. My son at 3.5 was in lessons three days in a row and we skied with him in between - day one was really hard for us day three we had a blast!

I think this is a great program for the $$. Plus they can get to keep the gear for the use for the rest of the season. I have four boys and if they could have done that when they were little - I would have in a heart beat!

xwhaler

If K were closer to me I would be all over this for next season when my son turns 3....this yr is more for pushing around the yard, maybe some very gentle magic carpet rides.
Be interesting to see if it catches on and expands to other mtns.

steamboat1

If K were closer to me I would be all over this for next season when my son turns 3....this yr is more for pushing around the yard, maybe some very gentle magic carpet rides.
Be interesting to see if it catches on and expands to other mtns.
Killington had the same deal last year with Elan. Last year you received free skis, not sure about boots though. This year it's both.

SkiFanE

Some parents make great teachers, but others do not. For those that aren't, this package makes a lot of sense.

I've been skiing since I was 5yo, so I cannot teach anyone anything about skiing - it's just ingrained. But those first few days you don't really need to teach much. Once we got them stable and able to head down the bunny hill without falling - and when they needed to learn to stop - we sent them to lessons. Skiing is such a huge part of my life, that I just really wanted to be there to experience it with my kids. But I'm a sentimental sucker and love that I was with all of them that first day.

VTKilarney

I've been skiing since I was 5yo, so I cannot teach anyone anything about skiing - it's just ingrained. But those first few days you don't really need to teach much. Once we got them stable and able to head down the bunny hill without falling - and when they needed to learn to stop - we sent them to lessons. Skiing is such a huge part of my life, that I just really wanted to be there to experience it with my kids. But I'm a sentimental sucker and love that I was with all of them that first day.
That's a good point. I suppose the most likely problem would be pushing a child too fast - but I agree that what they need to be taught is pretty darned simple to teach.

WWF-VT

I put both of my kids in ski school when they first started skiing at age 4. Let the pros get them started correctly and take a run or two with them when you pick them up at the end of the day. The Killington program looks like a good deal.

dlague

I get it! I am in the same boat - our oldest is turning 22 and we have that have graduated. One left at home still. We have never missed a year skiing with them. We go as often as we possibly can. They all started around 3-4 years old with the exception of my youngest who I tethered at 2.5. However, the experience of learning has more meaning to the parent then the child. None of my kids really remember their first lessons, but as adults we remember their first years very clearly. In fact, they kind liken skiing to walking - something they have done all of their lives!

All of us on here with children and get to have that family experience are very lucky - it is one of the few sports where that is possible!

SkiFanE

I get it! I am in the same boat - our oldest is turning 22 and we have that have graduated. One left at home still. We have never missed a year skiing with them. We go as often as we possibly can. They all started around 3-4 years old with the exception of my youngest who I tethered at 2.5. However, the experience of learning has more meaning to the parent then the child. None of my kids really remember their first lessons, but as adults we remember their first years very clearly. In fact, they kind liken skiing to walking - something they have done all of their lives!

All of us on here with children and get to have that family experience are very lucky - it is one of the few sports where that is possible!

Yup...I think all 3 of my kids will be life-long skiers, and our ski house will be a magnet for the familiy to get together as they move away. But you're right...I remember their first days vividly, they remember very little. They are all faster than me - and last weekend kids ditched me :( to ski themselves. Never thought I'd see the day when all were independent and not needing us....time flies.