• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Injury report 14/15

reefer

Not sure if a thread has been started for this year. I couldn't readily find one. On behalf of my partner in crime I mentioned he was down for the season in another thread as shown below. Getting him to post is like getting a root canal, but I'll try to get him to chime in with some details.
It was not a skiing incident although skiing has probably helped. Sounds like a past injury finally catching up with him. He had an MRI an no solid conclusion was made. He was going see a fourth doctor.
All I know is he's walking down stairs like a two-year-old and could barely get out of a golf cart.

Stay healthy everyone and hopefully I'll see you on the slopes.

DE (the wizard), Reefer(the skiing sheik), and JRMagic (beat up Mets fan) atop Red Line celebrating "Cape Day" a few years back

POWHUNTER - Let me know when you and DE are gonna be up. Next Tuesday is on the radar

REEFER - Man down....DoubleEject may be out for season. Knee. Be out there solo a lot..................................
Tuesday is a possibility.

CORNHEAD - Bummer, for both of you, more for him. Did it happen skiing? Hang in there DE, both my knees are giving me problems now, one reconstructed 20 yrs ago, the other just age and weight related, I think.

SAVEMEASAMMY - ^ It sounds like somebody should start the new injury report. Bummer, DE...

JRMAGIC - Wow sorry to hear about DE. That sucks. Hope to run into you this season when it isn't so manky in the woods lol!

steamboat1

My lower back has been killing me since Sat. morning. Skied Sat. but cut the day short because of it. I've had minor back problems for years but never anything as painful as this. Skied Thurs. & Fri. & didn't fall or do anything to my knowledge to cause it. I hope it's something I can just stretch out because as it stands I don't think I can ski right now.

reefer

My lower back has been killing me since Sat. morning. Skied Sat. but cut the day short because of it. I've had minor back problems for years but never anything as painful as this. Skied Thurs. & Fri. & didn't fall or do anything to my knowledge to cause it. I hope it's something I can just stretch out because as it stands I don't think I can ski right now.

Damn.................my midweek Killington reports...............
Hope it gets better. I know a good chiropractic in Mass..................

reefer

And on another note. Saw DoubleEject over the weekend. Had orthoscopic surgery to "clean" things up. May have torn his meniscus at one point. He had hurt it years ago. He reminded me of a fall he took skiing in this past spring which irritated it badly. He then heard something bad happen while playing softball this summer. I remember that.....now. I knew he was in trouble when he could hardly walk. Unfortunately he is into golf as much as skiing so he waited to take care of it even though he was hobbling around on the course all summer..........................
Pretty sure he will not want to risk it with any skiing this winter. May do some light cruising in March/April but we both agree he should get it as strong as possible for next year rather than do anything stupid. He's taking it pretty well. We'll see after I rave about the first powder day I catch.....................................(hopefully Wednesday).

Last edited:

Smellytele

I have had lower back issues for years. They come and go. The strange thing is they seem to happen more so when I am in better shape. My seem to be from tight hamstrings that pull on my lower back and hip. Stretches seem to help a lot but won't overnight. My usually hit in the fall after a season of heavy mileage bike riding. Last few years haven't ridden as much and my back has been fine.

Bumpsis

For whatever it's worth, I've always found that keeping my abdominals strong is absolutely key to avoiding or minimizing lower back pain.
I don't advise working through significant back pain to work on your abdominals, but once the back pain subsides a bit, work on strengthening all of your abs.
From all the ab gizmos that are out there, I did find one that imho is one best pieces of home fitness equipment pieces you can get:
http://www.ultimatebodypress.com/ultimate-body-press-dip-bar.html
Simple, doesn't make much space and gives you a killer work out for your core.
It is essentially a dip bar but as such is ideal for leg lifts. The leg lifts/ lifted leg twist, etc, give your entire abdominal wall a serious workout. It's an absolute necessity for balanced core and strong back.
I hope your back recovers soon.

Smellytele

Strange thing to say but skiing seems to have healed my knee - My right knee has bothered me the last few weeks but something seems to have fixed itself yesterday while skiing. I have had stuff floating around in my knee for 20 years. I went to see a doctor once and told me a had a "mouse" in there. It is basically a small bone chip that every once and awhile will get it to a spot that causes irritation. It hasn't in about 10 years but I think that is what was bothering me. It now feels fine since skiing yesterday.

C-Rex

I have had lower back issues for years. They come and go. The strange thing is they seem to happen more so when I am in better shape. My seem to be from tight hamstrings that pull on my lower back and hip. Stretches seem to help a lot but won't overnight. My usually hit in the fall after a season of heavy mileage bike riding. Last few years haven't ridden as much and my back has been fine.

I bet core exercises would help a lot. It almost sounds like you have all these strong muscles in your back but not enough in your abs to balance it out. But hey, I'm no doctor. Obviously.

One of my riding buddies broke his foot mountain biking, but is supposed to be back in action around the holidays. Hopefully we won't have any more injuries. (knocks on wood)

CoolMike

I snowboarded with a still-healing broken foot last year. It wasn't bad. The only time it really hurt was getting the foot into and out of the boot. Snowboard boots are as good as any air cast in my opinion.

Unless it was a bad break (mine was minor) 3-4 weeks was plenty to start hitting the slopes again. I was lucky and broke it in early November.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I'd like to report a photo injury. I fixed it though.

DSCN3674_1_.JPG

Terry

I broke my ankle on aug 25th. Been skiing twice so far and feels good. A bit tough getting ski boot on though.

Tin

I broke my ankle on aug 25th. Been skiing twice so far and feels good. A bit tough getting ski boot on though.

Once in the boot it is probably quite stabilized except for twisting, no? A ski boot is not much different from a boot an ortho would provide.

Rikka

I was at Waterville Valley 12/18 having. A great day. The flat light conditions got the better of me around 3 pm. Hit a pile of fluff with the left ski. The right ski was on some boiler plate. Well I performed a grounded spread eagle and face planted at a pretty good clip. Left ski released and the right ski and I went for a 300 foot body surfing ride. All said and done ... Tore MCL in my right knee and will find out about the acl Tuesday.....hopefully I will be back in 6 to 8 weeks... I know if the acl is torn, I will be done for the season.... What a bummer.....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Savemeasammy

^Bummer. Hopefully it's a speedy recovery for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk