• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Questions re: shells vs. insulated jackets

Breakout12

I am in the market for a new jacket, and therefore am paying attention to what I see other people wearing, as well as what is for sale. I have noticed that lots of people seem to be wearing very light jackets, not the usual bulk of an insulated jacket. Are these people wearing shells? What can you tell me about using a shell instead of a heavier jacket. How warm are they? How many and what kind of layers are required with a shell? What should I look for in a shell? I want to stay warm, but lighten the bulk and weight of my typical winter jacket.

Smellytele

Shells have more versatility then bulky jackets. You have more layering options with shells. You can put a fleece jacket underneath on mildly cold days or a down liner underneath on a real cold day. You can wear it on a warmer wet day with no jacket underneath.

xwhaler

I switched from a heavier insulated jacket to a softshell about 5 yrs ago and it's worked out great. I just layer up/down as needed but use the jacket from cold January days to spring skiing.

C-Rex

Shells are the way to go, IMO. You can wear more form fitting layers under it and get the same warmth of an insulated jacket without the bulkiness. Plus, as was said above, you have more options for warmer days. It's also nice that they dry quickly when skiing multiple days in a row. Get a good goretex shell and you'll never go back. I have a Burton AK goretex shell and absolutely love it. It's super waterproof but breathes very nicely and is ultra light weight too.

KevinF

A true shell, by itself, doesn't provide any real warmth per se. Shells are designed to provide protection from the elements (wind, snowfall, etc).

The benefit of a shell is that it allows you to customize how much "warmth" you need. Obviously you need more on brutally cold days than you do on a warmer day in the spring. Shells are popular among die-hard skiers because they only need one jacket no matter what the weather is.

The downside of a shell... You wind up purchasing other layers (fleece sweaters, down jackets, synthetic insulation, etc.) which can add some unexpected expense. On "stupid cold" days you can wind up with a couple layers underneath -- i.e., i've had two long sleeve shirts on, a fleece sweater over that, a down insulation piece over that and my shell over all that. It sort of leads to a Michelin Man type feeling.

People who just naturally run cold and who need some level of insulation even on a mild Spring day probably won't appreciate shells.

I prefer shells because by now I have a closet full of insulating layers to wear underneath. Insulated jackets come in all forms now though from very light insulation to "polar expedition" type cold.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
A true shell, by itself, doesn't provide any real warmth per se. Shells are designed to provide protection from the elements (wind, snowfall, etc).

The benefit of a shell is that it allows you to customize how much "warmth" you need. Obviously you need more on brutally cold days than you do on a warmer day in the spring. Shells are popular among die-hard skiers because they only need one jacket no matter what the weather is.

The downside of a shell... You wind up purchasing other layers (fleece sweaters, down jackets, synthetic insulation, etc.) which can add some unexpected expense. On "stupid cold" days you can wind up with a couple layers underneath -- i.e., i've had two long sleeve shirts on, a fleece sweater over that, a down insulation piece over that and my shell over all that. It sort of leads to a Michelin Man type feeling.

People who just naturally run cold and who need some level of insulation even on a mild Spring day probably won't appreciate shells.

I prefer shells because by now I have a closet full of insulating layers to wear underneath. Insulated jackets come in all forms now though from very light insulation to "polar expedition" type cold.

+1. Extremely well said, Kevin. :beer::snow::beer:

skiMEbike

Agree with everything said. Shell is the way to go.

I would also suggest making sure your shell has pit zip vents, and a hood...providing more options for dealing with heat & cold. My "coat quiver" now consists of 1 shell, 4 mid layers of varying insulations/materials, along with multiple base layers provides for numerous combinations & options.

BenedictGomez

Not to add more complexity, but you can also go the combo route. I have a Columbia shell that has a zip-in / zip-out liner that you add or remove depending on how cold it is.

Then there's the "Softshell", which I have no experience with but I just took the TJMaxx plunge and bought one. I was envious given how comfortable folks look in them. I guess they're not for brutally cold days though.

gmcunni

i have 2 jackets - a heavy old school Columbia jacket that i call my cold weather jacket. generally i think of wearing if it will be extremely cold (15 or less)*, very windy or very snowy. i am pretty sure i didn't wear it at all last season.

my other jacket is a North Face shell. i vary the layers underneath depending on the temp. i'll where a fleece and thick baselayer for cold (16-20 degrees)*. drop the fleece as temp goes up.. even where in spring with just tshirt for warm days.

my only dislike of the shell is lack of storage. my NF shell basically has 2 hand pockets. i wish i had a chest, arm and interior pocket for misc stuff. i know other shells have these, mine just doesn't. next one will. i day trip a lot so i just throw both jackets in the car and decide what to wear when i get where i'm going.

*approx temp.. sun/lack of also play a part but you get the idea.

x10003q

If you ski in cold temps and/or maybe you are always cold, there are many jacket choices now with light insulation (synthetic or down) and a "gore tex" like shell. These types of jackets are not much heavier than a shell and allow you to eliminate a layer or 2. They tend to have better features (pockets, powder skirts) than shells. A snapped up powder skirt on a cold windy day is great for keeping out the cold. Make sure you get pit zips.

bigbog

Battery-powered = No...have never seen. Yeah breatheability is needed, no matter what you get. Unfortunately the prices seem to mirror the amount of breatheability, on the whole, but from what I've seen...many distributors are dropping their prices(some more than others). Some shells that score close to top=as most breatheable as well as lightest can sometimes lack the abiity to be highly windproof, so judge for where you ski!
You really don't have to purchase the top drawer jacket for ~1-2 seasons worth of skiing...imho, but GoreTex Pro Shell or GoreTex ActiveShell seem to get really top-notch reviews, but eVent, with others, has gotten some excellent reviews...
A few brands(HeliHansen, Marmot...etc) put their own proprietary name on a few ways of layering the materials...I think. ...ramblin' apologies....

Last edited:

murff81

patagonia insulated powder bowl jacket

I picked one up for this season, I'm amazed how lightweight and none bulky it is (at least compared to my previous) it feels like it will be sufficient to keep me warm in super cold conditions, has gore-tex linear as well

I honestly thought they sent me the wrong jacket , it was folded in to a tiny little mailing envelope....only paid $260 for it....

C-Rex

Most shells from ski/snowboard specific companies will have powder skirts and all the utility pockets you'd want.

True that you have to spend extra money on layers but you'll end up doing that anyway if you want to do it right. Plus, you can save A LOT by going to TJ Max or Marshalls for that stuff. I've found some great deals on base layer and thermal Under Armor stuff in those stores. I got one of their tight fitting thermal pants/top sets last year and holy crap is it warm. Most days I just wore that with a microfleece top over it and my shell jacket and pants. Super warm and almost no bulk.

I tend to run hot most of the time so buying any outerwear with insulation is a no-go for me.

SkiFanE

If you get a shell, get a Gore-tex - great for early season snow-making lol. I started wearing one last winter and love it. I had enough fleece and stuff already to put under it. But if the weather is REALLY cold, I have a down coat with a hood that I wear. Can get bulky with a shell and so many layers - and if it's that cold - the chances of needing Gore-tex is slim.

So buy a nice shell, use your existing stuff and get a nice down hooded coat for very cold days. I love down - so warm and breaths well (not the unzip on chair, zip up at top, unzip on chair...etc.. you get with regular coats)

Hawkshot99

If you get a shell, get a Gore-tex - great for early season snow-making lol.

Gore-tex, is a great material. However most of the major jacket companies have their own version of it that is right there as well. If they use the Gore-tex version then people are familiar with it, but they also have to pay some serious royalties to Gore-tex.

Helly Hansen, makes some very dry jackets(the driest I have ever worn) but Gore-tex does not exist in their lineup.

Smellytele

patagonia insulated powder bowl jacket

I picked one up for this season, I'm amazed how lightweight and none bulky it is (at least compared to my previous) it feels like it will be sufficient to keep me warm in super cold conditions, has gore-tex linear as well

I honestly thought they sent me the wrong jacket , it was folded in to a tiny little mailing envelope....only paid $260 for it....

Never paid more than 200 for any article of clothing. But then again I am a cheap prick.

Breakout12

Lots of great responses. Thanks! It's helped me to figure out what to focus on. I already have several layers but I might need to upgrade some of them.

BenedictGomez

If you ski in cold temps and/or maybe you are always cold, there are many jacket choices now with light insulation (synthetic or down) and a "gore tex" like shell. These types of jackets are not much heavier than a shell and allow you to eliminate a layer or 2. They tend to have better features (pockets, powder skirts) than shells. A snapped up powder skirt on a cold windy day is great for keeping out the cold. Make sure you get pit zips.

I bought something like this a few weeks ago and the Pelican pre-season clearance. Paid ~$180 for a Marker jacket, but it was normally $365, Gore-tex, with the built in goggle wipe etc..., but I was amazed how thin it was. Nothing at all like my Columbia coat, which was $150 new, but far more bulky. I guess coat heating technology has improved.