• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When you know a child understands ..

I was talking with my 9 yo grandson last night. I asked him why he wanted to learn to ski, he pointed to his gut and said " because it is inside me" ... I think that pretty much sums it up. He already shows promise and he hasn't even been out on the slope yet. I wonder how he came about that little bit of insight."

Terry

That is awesome. He obviously has deep feelings about learning to ski! We need to bring the younger generation on board to keep this thing going!

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I was talking with my 9 yo grandson last night. I asked him why he wanted to learn to ski, he pointed to his gut and said " because it is inside me" ... I think that pretty much sums it up. He already shows promise and he hasn't even been out on the slope yet. I wonder how he came about that little bit of insight."

Genetics....Pre diposed to Adrenalin spikes like his Gramps

Are you just a little disappointed he doesn't want to snowboard?
I am a firm believer in one following their own path. Him skiing or snowboarding, doesn't really matter to me. His older brother snowboards. I felt the same way when I was deciding if I would learn to ski or snowboard at age 52. Snowboarding was just in me. I would see the movies and say I want to do that too.. Craig Kelly was my inspiration back then.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

I am a firm believer in one following their own path. Him skiing or snowboarding, doesn't really matter to me.

Makes sense. But from a practical standpoint, isnt it a good idea to teach little kids to learn how to ski first and then learn how to snowboard? I say that because while snowboarding is a fun recreational activity, skiing is both a fun recreational activity and a useful mountain life skill. That way they can snowboard 99% of the time since they prefer it, but they'd still know how to ski if they ever need to. Though admittedly that would only matter for someone who spends a lot of time in mountain areas.

BenedictGomez

Seriously? What's he going to sign his kid up the junior 10th mountain division?

LOL. No, but I view it as a good skill to have. I guess it is admittedly a stretch, or the fact I view CC skiing as a valuable thing to know given I was snowed in once.

123kathleen

I made the mistake of marrying someone who doesn't and won't ski..so I eagerly started my twins at age 4. It's a tough job dragging twin 4 year olds up to the mountain every weekend. I was not really sure if they would get hooked on skiing the way I have always been until they were also about 8 or 9. We were riding the lift on our first run of the season. Half the trail was grass, half snow. We had the place to ourselves. It was a clear and crisp day. One of my sons looked at me and said "I've really missed this". I knew it. He was officially hooked. Only people reading this thread will understand when I said it was one of the happiest days of my life. I knew my kids were hooked and would ski with me for many years and would later pass that along to their own families...I know this is sappy... But true. Ps. The husband, 25 years later still won't ski but he makes a great ski chauffeur while the rest us us sleep the whole way home on Sunday nights.

VTKilarney

Learning to drive a stick shift is an important life skill. At least for now, and especially if you intend to travel.

Skiing? Not so sure about that.

But there are aspects of skiing that are important life skills. For example, learning to enjoy the outdoors in some of its harshest weather, or learning how to pick yourself up after a mishap and become stronger by doing so, or learning how to gauge risk.

octopus

obviously split boarding and avalanche training is the answer for small children.

Funky_Catskills

I am a firm believer in one following their own path. Him skiing or snowboarding, doesn't really matter to me.

It doesn't matter to most people...
But it really seems to matter to a few...

From a practical standpoint - I always say start a kid on skis... Easier to learn..