• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Chairlift Entertainment or Awkwardness

dlague

I was on the chair with this like 9 year old kid last year who was getting a lesson. This kid was an out of control, spoiled snob. He was sitting on the inside seat, and kept trying to hit every tower we passed with his snowboard. He was yelling profanities at every skier/rider that passed below us, telling them they suck, and how he was so much better than them.

He was saying how he could so jump off the chairlift from that point (I was kind of hoping he would) , the instructor was trying to get him to just sit still and stop trying to hit the tower with his board since he was leaning out so far. Seeing as he was a kid there was no way his legs were long enough to even come close, but dammit he was trying. I met eyes with the instructor, and they basically said "they don't pay me enough for this shit, I can't wait for this lesson to be over"

I should've hip checked him when we were uploading.

I have experienced that attitude at ski areas that have private schools associated with them. Kids own the place. At the same time met others that were pretty cool too.

:)

C-Rex

I was at Jiminy Peak last year with a friend. We were in the main line for the 6 pack and decided to jump into the singles line. We were waiting for everyone to pass when a guy way back stopped because he was waiting for someone. So we just ducked in ahead of him. A few seconds later he comes up and starts pushing past us. I say, "Hey, what are you doing?" He's like, "You cut me. I'm taking my place back." I said, "You were waiting for someone. You can't hold up the line for your friends." Arguement ensues, my temper flares, I concede the spot, but he's a dick about it so I tell him to go fuck himself. When we get to the chair, he tells the lifty that I cut and the lifty threatens to take my ticket if I cause anymore trouble. As I get off the lift behind the guy, he keeps looking back and saying stuff. I'm trying to let it go but he just won't leave it alone. Finally, I tell him to get away from me and drop the shit before I break his face. We do our run and I calm down. As we approach the chair for the next run, I see he's in the opposite line, and wouldn't you know it, we end up right next to each other on the same chair. We both give each other a look of death and then bust out laughing. We agree to just drop the whole thing and forget about it, much to the relief of my friend who thought one of us was going to get thrown off the chair. The guy ended up buying me a beer later that afternoon, and of course I returned the favor. Only New Englanders can be complete assholes to each other and then end up being friends.

Smellytele

Only New Englanders can be complete assholes to each other and then end up being friends.

Like Irish brothers. They can beat the shit out of each other then act as nothing happened. Also don't come between them because they will join forces and beat the shit out of you.

Domeskier

I know, right? Forget that cheeseburglar fellow - the Disembowler needs to be brought back!

bdfreetuna

Glad to see I have my share of introverted / introspected company here.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy an interesting conversation, or a chat about conditions on the mountain and where the best stashes are that day.

But if someone feels socially awkward on account of my not initiating small-talk, there are therapists back home for that.

ScottySkis

Glad to see I have my share of introverted / introspected company here.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy an interesting conversation, or a chat about conditions on the mountain and where the best stashes are that day.

But if someone feels socially awkward on account of my not initiating small-talk, there are therapists back home for that.

Well said.

4aprice

After reading some of these I feel sorry for some of the people we've ridden with over the years. A buddy and myself used to repeat Monty Python skits (accent and all) on the way up the chair, used to drive my wife (not wife @ time)crazy but it was all in fun. I'm sure some of the singles who got paired up with us were probably intimidated.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
After reading some of these I feel sorry for some of the people we've ridden with over the years. A buddy and myself used to repeat Monty Python skits (accent and all) on the way up the chair, used to drive my wife (not wife @ time)crazy but it was all in fun. I'm sure some of the singles who got paired up with us were probably intimidated.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

That's Hilarious!
Sometimes it's fun to be a fly on the wall.
Things I heard Saturday....
70 yr old to another.." Damn it's like skiing on a tabletop and hitting a bag of flour every so often!"
Guy commenting on my stripped poles...." You wont loose those poles"
A few runs later...."Did'nt loose those poes yet?"
And you guys ( talking to 4- 9 yr olds )will ride up with this gentleman .....Me "Gulp"
A couple kids pointing at my Elk lift ticket from last month ..."HA ha ha man thats old school"

drjeff

My favorite personal experience was a few seasons ago, I was in the singles line for the Challenger triple on the Northface at Mount Snow. I'm getting ready to join up with a couple(married? Dating? not sure but definately involved), who didn't look like they were having a good day at all!! I ask if they were just a double, and her reply was "yes, but this a$$hole screwed by best friend last night so you might not want to be a part of our lift ride!!" :eek:

I paired up with the next double in line!!