• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Killington Video about their new and largest in the USA TBL system!

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
One of the problems with teaching any system is: Are the instructors properly trained? The current ATS has huge problems which PSIA has been unwilling to acknowledge. A clinician said to me, "I just taught a clinic which included 2 PSIA Level 2s. There were 10 instructors in the class. I asked them to make a gliding wedge. How many do you think did it right?" I suggested 4; he told me 3. If most of the instructors can't teach the system, there IS a problem.

Same is true of TBL. Unless the instructors are properly taught to use the terrain in an appropriate progression, it's just another gimmick. And therein lies the dirty little secret. On peak days, ski areas need a lot more instructors than they have and (IMO) more than half are woefully unqualified.

A few years ago, a new instructor just finished teaching a young child a beginner lesson. The instructor was personable and related to the child very well. The parent booked the child for a private lesson with the instructor. The instructor said to me, "I did OK the first half of the class; I faked it the second half; what do I do next week?"